Free cancellation until 31/07
Agoda.com
US$670
US$319
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$365/night.

Sea View Villas(Balaclava)
US$117
US$174
bedfinder
The Oberoi, Mauritius(Pointe Aux Piments)
US$980
US$658
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa(Pointe Aux Piments)
Free cancellation until 28/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$366
US$300
Le Meridien Ile Maurice(Pointe Aux Piments)
US$315
US$234
  • Breakfast included
3,325 results
All reviewsnoble housesenso restaurantharsh manichief conciergejacuzzi roomkevin ritoopresidential suiteindian foodheated poolthe resort managerjean pierrehis teamour honeymoonmain restaurantfamily roomspecial thanksocean view
Reviewed 3 September 2009

while planning my vacation,i read a lot of reviews about this hotel,talking about how rude the waiters were and how slow the room service was etc etc. and thankgod i decided to form my own opinion because this was by far the best stay i have had with my family.
it was comfortable,luxurious and best of all it was exactly what i had hoped for it to be.
the staff and the location are the 2 high points of this hotel according to me.the hotel is absolutely breath taking and the staff make you feel at home.it truely felt like home for all 7 days of our stay.housekeeping deserves a special mention as they do a damn good job with the rooms.reception is very helpful and the waiters at the restaurant are very pleasent.our friends down at the boat house can give you great deals on various water sports.laundry and room service are good as well.wonderful beach.
all in all a must visit.you will not regret it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank aviator360
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We stayed at the Presidential Suite (room 1923 in building 9) for 9 nights from July 12, 2009 to July 21, 2009 and while the property itself was beautiful and staff friendly I found service to be mediocre at best, sometimes even poor. As this is a very new property, it is my hope and belief that service levels will improve with proper guidance from various managers who each have multiples years of experience on their "backs". I very seldom talk about the hotels I've stayed at, but will categorize this review for an easier read.

Arrival: Since we rented a car from Avis, we drove on our own. Getting to the hotel from the airport was rather easy as there was proper signage up until the Grand Mauritian. By coincidence we pulled into the Grand Mauritian and thought, wow how ugly the lobby of this hotel is. Then somebody then told us, the InterContinental is next door. Ahh, a sigh of relief! Upon arrival, Guest Relations' Jameel was paged to meet us and offered us a welcome beverage. Off the bat, I thought Jameel was excellent. He handled everything quickly, gave us his personal contact information and lead us to our room.

Room: From the moment we walked in, we were awestruck. Aside from the Conrad Maldives, this was probably one of the nicer hotel rooms I've stayed in. The room was huge and just as I thought Jameel had finished showing us our room, yet another door was mentioned leading to a side terrace and a second balcony. After Jameel left, I had to re-tour the room a couple of times until I could snap back into quick thinking. Unfortunately, we did encounter some problems with the mechanics of the room. One of the biggest problems was with the warm water. For the first three days water ranged from cool to lukewarm. Finally, when we decided to call a plumber, the water finally became hot, but every morning you would have to run it for about 5-10 minutes before it was hot enough. Normally, lukewarm water would be refreshing in a tropical destination, however as it was winter in Mauritius, we had to have our hot water! When it comes to the shower itself, the floor was not inclined so after every shower a puddle of water would form throughout the bathroom, which in my opinion is waste of water and towels. More importantly, be careful not to slip! Other quirks in our room included the lack of wall mounted hooks throughout the bathroom. I found it very annoying having to hang things on the door knob or lean it against a shelf. I also missed having an alarm clock/radio in our room; however the GM stated they are expecting alarm clock/radio/ipod dock sets "any day now". Keep in mind the official grand opening will take place in September 2009.

Food/ Service at Restaurants: We mostly dined at the main restaurant (The Palms) which features a daily buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast was included in our rate, but normally costs 15EUR per person. Lunch we skipped as we preferred smaller snacks which we bought in a local supermarket. Both lunch and dinner cost 35EUR per person. I found breakfast generally tasty, although I was upset at the poor selection of fresh fruits. I also opted to skip meat selections as they were outright odd in taste. On the other hand, I was able to have a delicious muesli with my yoghurt every morning. The various granolas and cereals had tasty spices that had quite the kick! What I also didn't like about breakfast is how staff would pour tea and coffee from large thermoses instead of offering a hot tea kettle. It felt like I was dining in a cafeteria or canteen. Dinner at the main (buffet) restaurant was a different theme every evening. Monday- Chinese, Tuesday-Indian, Wednesday-Seafood, Thursday- African, Friday- Middle Eastern/Mediterranean, Saturday- Authentic Mauritian, Sunday- International Food Mix. I'd have to say my favorite was African and Indian. Aside from the main restaurant, we were also invited for dinner to the seafood restaurant, Segala, by the Resort Manager. As I'm not a fan of seafood, I opted for a Caprese Salad and a Filet Mignon. I thought Segala was top notch, including the service, though I found the plastic wine "cups" tacky. Two other premium restaurants are on premises- an Asian Fusion restaurant and an Indian restaurant. Keep in mind, the three non-buffet restaurants are closed on the days when the same type cuisine is served in the buffet restaurant.

When it comes to service at the property, I thought it was the low point of the stay. Throughout our stay we experienced many mistakes, forgetful & slow waiters and waitresses and a general lack of consistency. Although the staff was generally polite and friendly, it felt as if some individuals didn't really care- felt like they weren't working in the hospitality industry. I didn't like that hot buffet items were piping hot on a certain day and cool the next. One evening we received check out information and good bye letter just 2 nights into our 9 night stay. It's these types of small things that really make you go "hmmm" in a five star InterContinental Resort!

Property/ Facilities: Grounds are stunning, but let that grass grow! The small "island" with only three beach huts offers a quiet retreat. The beach is wide and huts are spread out far away from each other so you really feel like you're relaxing. The sand itself is a little rocky, and you have to watch out for more rocks in the lagoon. The lagoon is manmade keeping you away from the waves and the water is very calm so there's no problem with swimming in the Ocean. There are two pools- a main pool and a separate, smaller heated pool. Tons of activities are offered and they are complimentary for all guests which is a nice touch given all the nickel and diming going on at hotels. Definitely try Bocce Ball! It's also worth noting that every Saturday evening, local dancers and musicians perform traditional Mauritian music and choreography.

Spa: Spa is run by Angsana and is a Thai spa. My Mom went there for a manicure and was really happy with the treatment. That's about all I can say about the Spa. The gym is very modern but it's a shame it closes at 8 PM.

Worth checking out: Casela Park (definitely do the quad safari while you are there). Ile Aux Cerfs- the nicest beach on the island of Mauritius. Also check out Triolet City Hindu Temple and be sure to take off your shoes when you walk in. Grand Baie is nice for some souvenir shopping and night life. There are two supermarkets, Jumbo and Super U (no food mart in hotel so buy your snacks/goods in one of the two). The souvenir shop with a very good selection- Le Dodo near the College of Dentistry in Baclava (5 minutes driving from the hotel). I'd also recommend renting a car. AVIS is the only car rental company at the hotel.

All in all, I'd give this hotel 4 out of 5 stars as service is the only real complaint I have about this property. That said, the managers are opening for comments and willing to make improvements, so I think time will bring positive changes. The grounds however are stunning and the beach/ocean/lagoon are as perfect as can be. You can really relax here. Would I go back? I would! Mauritius is beautiful and has a lot to offer.

Take a moment to check out the pictures of our room and of the hotel that are attached to this review.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank kinglobjaw
Reviewed 31 August 2009

In despite of a few hesitations due to a couple of negative comments I read on Trip Advisor, I spent one week in this newly built hotel in August with my wife and 16 months son. It was just excellent. The room was well decorated and pleasant (we had a superior deluxe room with a very large terrace (including a private jacuzzi, I recommend it!), facing the indian ocean. The service was good, the food was surprisingly good (I have had a lot worse buffets in other 5 stars hotels), and the hotel gardens, pools and beaches were very relaxing. The kids club is very well equiped and the staff was very nice too. We also recommend the spa which is a little bit expensive compared to other hotels, but really worth it! We really had a great stay. If you need anything, Jamel, the hotel guests relations manager is extremely helpful.
The only bad experience was with ADA (rental cars). They quote in euros and then charge your credit card in rupees with a ridiculus exchange rate! so you actualy pay 15% more. Then we lost a key and they asked for 20 euros to make a new one, and the day we left they chargeg us 150 euros!...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mabitbol
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Guest requirements like food was taken care very properly as there were many Indian guest during my stay period.Veg was also given prominence .Room service was prompt and clean.
I enjoyed my stay in the resort.
Reception staff and restaurent staff were very polite in handling guest and work oriented.

Overall me and my wife enjoyed stay with Intercontinental and we are planning for our 1st annivarsay also in Intercontinental.

My self as an travel agent I shall promote to all my clients about the property.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 August 2009

I booked a surprise 1 week holiday in this resort for my wife and we left after one night and stayed elsewhere (Maradiva Villas - excellent).
We arrived late after a delayed flight and were kept waiting 45 minutes in reception handled by 3 different people with a very inefficient check-in process and an ability to produce a cup of ginger tea. We were subsequently shown to our room, which hadn't been cleaned properly, had some dirty linen and given that the resort knew this was a surprise special trip for my wife's brithday - nothing speical done at all (I had booked the Presidential Suite) - no bottle of wine, in the room, no fruit in the fruit bowl - mini bar not restocked properly - no tea or tea bags in the room.
The man who showed us to the room left our bags just inside the front door - as this was a presidential suite the bedroom and wardrobes were upstairs - no effort to take our bags there. The man pointed out a room on the ground floor of the suite and told us it was a kitchen - it had no cutlery or plates or anything really beyond a fridge (which doubled as the minibar and a kettle). The man wasn't able to explain how the curtains worked, and spent about 10 minutes trying to get the TV to work (this was around 10pm in the evening when we were tired and waiting to eat). We eventually told him to leave it and only then did he tell us about the restaurants. He said the main restaurant closed at 10:30pm and we would need to hurry to get there as it was a buffet and it would close. (This after we arrived shortly after 9pm at the hotel - plenty of time to eat before closing). He told us the other restaurants needed pre-booking so we couldn't eat in either of those that evening.
We went to the restaurant, and stood for ages waiting for someone to show us to a table. We had a grab a waiter serving another table to get a drinks menu. We had to ask twice to get napkins for the table, and we had to ask for some water - nothing was offered. Another struggle to get a glass of wine. My wife wasn't feeling well and said she didn't want to eat the buffet - could she just have some vegetable soup. "No" was the waiter's response. We persisted and eventually we were served some thin soup with what looked like tinned vegetables from the buffet (cubes of carrot and short pieces of green bean and sweet corn). After disappointing food (this after a long and delayed flight so we were beginning to feel a bit down about the holiday) we couldn't get a waiter to get the bill. They already knew our room number, so given that it was late we left the restaurant for a walk on the beach. That did summon a waiter chasing after us on the beach to sign the bill.
After going back to the room, I decided to see the duty manager. He appeared and was helpful but indicative of the complete lack of service culture or training in service in the hotel, even his attempts to help were not particularly successful. He offered a complementary drink and asked that we meet the following morning to review and not rush to check out. He took me to the bar and handed me off to the bar manager asking him to give me a drink. I asked for a glass of wine and a bottle of water. The bar manager then grabbed a waiter and got him to give me a glass of wine - the waiter grabbed the end of a bottle and I got less than a full glass - no effort to open another bottle to give me a full measure. I was then left to talk several hundred metres back to my room up and down stairs carrying the glass of wine and the bottle of water - no attempt to bring it to the room.
We checked out the next morning and had a great holiday in another resort (Maradiva Villas which I would rate 5 out of 5).

Overall, the resort infrastructure is fine, it is new, built along a narrow strip of land along the beach. There isn't a natural beach the sand appears to have brought in to create a beach, which is narrow. Behind the hotel building work is going on - we heard this quite clearly the next morning. We only tried the one restaurant and the food was OK (although nothing special). The main issue with this resort is the service. I live in India and have been spoiled by the very high quality of 5 star hotels there, and this certainly wasn't 5 star service - there was no service orientation, no attention to detail. Given what I had paid for the stay in a presidential suite completely unacceptable. I think this resort probably needs a year or so to settle down and get staff into the right habits and service culture before it is worth staying in.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple