Stayed here as part of our honeymoon. When we arrived we were asked to sit and wait at the foyer, they brought us refreshing towels and a welcome drink- nice thought, except 25 mins later it seemed like we were forgotten and were still waiting for someone to check us in! Once we got our 'seaview room' we realised we couldn't see the sea! The rooms on the ground and first floor you can only see palm trees and hear the waves! So we asked asked for a room on a higher floor... and we waited and waited for them to sort this out (think this took about 3-4 hours). Not the best start to our holiday.
The beach is full of large rocks and you can't really walk bare feet or swim. Was told beach is 'man-made'. Unfortunately, on the glossy brochures i was expecting soft sandy white beaches.
The food at the resort (if not on half or full board) was extortionate. As the resort is so remote you had no choice but to drink and eat at their restaurants. The variety at was fair but the taste was very average (specifically at the buffet restaurant). This resort appears to have lots of guests from the Indian continent and the variety of food seem to be reflect this. The waiting staff at the buffet restaurant seem to stand around a lot chatting with may be one or two staff member that was efficient and hard at work. What was very annoying was every morning at breakfast we had to pre-book which restaurant we wanted to eat that evening, it felt rather restrictive.
The staff at the pool bar had the worse table service ever, on our last afternoon it took them about 1.5 hours for our lunch to arrive and they just couldn't get our drink orders correct, favouring guests ordering drinks at the bar, we complained to the manager about the poor service but also because of their delay we almost missed our transfer to the airport. He apologised and said they were busy - that was it. The guests on the next table were so annoyed that they left mid-way during their lunch.
Go to the Asian fusion restaurant, the seafood restaurant and the curry house - better service and food!
My only positive point about this hotel is that it is beautifully presented. The bedrooms were beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean... and cleaning staff worked hard to keep it that way. But it felt like they had built this amazing-looking resort on some wasteland in a very remote area...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort is located on one of the most pristine stretches of beach overlooking Balaclava, Mauritius. Offering 210 well-appointed rooms including 10 presidential suites, 40 family-type, 20 Jacuzzi rooms, 20 Executive rooms with free WiFi and 120 standard rooms. Facilities include: 3 bars, 5 restaurants, 2 swimming pools including one heated pool, 8 massage rooms, a unique private island, Planet Trekkers kids club, recreational activities, tennis court, 4 meeting rooms & 1 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, Expedia, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel Balaclava
- Intercontinental Hotel Mauritius
- Intercontinental Hotel Balaclava