1,509 results
All reviews beach grill seasonal tastes indian restaurant the executive lounge spg member whisper pool heavenly spa adult pool sushi outdoor shower heavenly bed half board kids club concierge desk club room beautiful hotel junior suite
Reviewed 30 October 2017

We had 8 people check in on the first day and then 2 others at a later stage during our 10 night stay. We had half board, club rooms.

We had major issues when we first arrived to the hotel. From arriving at 10am and a request for early check in, we received our rooms later than 3pm. Was really frustrating as we had been travelling for over 18 hours.

On arrival our one of our rooms had a bad smell and one was unclean - this was raised with the hotel and housekeeping cleaned our room once again. Rooms overall were nice but need updating. I found the design of the room a little inconvenient as there was no privacy from the bathroom and the room, it was all open plan and there was no option for curtains. This was ok for couples but was very inconvenient for my siblings who had to share a room. The hotel had put very thin and small towels to cover but this was insufficient.

Later on in the day we found that the hotel had a lot of stray dogs on the premises. One of which was quite aggressive and nearly attacked us on the beach. He came in a few times to bite and after several complaints, he was still found to be on the premises and pool area. The dog nearly went in to bite my disabled sister - was shocking and unexpected.
Many other stray dogs on the premises but they were harmless but very annoying.

Next morning I found a dead bird outside on my terrace but was too afraid to complain as we had complained about the dogs and the room, and did not do anything but instead made us feel silly for the constant complaints. We had a meeting with Krishna who was the duty manager, and he was very good. He was calming and listened to our problems, and tried his best to rectify the problems. He also arranged a meeting with Tristan who was the assistant manager the following day.
I am sorry to say but Tristan was very rude, did not listen, talked over us, impatient and patronizing. He also tried to go out of his way to prove that we were in the wrong. One of the things that annoyed me is he said 'there are 170,000 stray dogs in Mauritius and i cannot get my team to watch all of them'. I told him i was not concerned about any dog outside the hotel premises but instead would expect you to try and control those that are on the hotel premises as the hotel would be liable if anything happened whilst we were in the hotel. It was truly shocking to hear his response and him being so patronising - any good and normal manager would APOLOGISE and say they would try to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

We had spent a lot of money for this trip for the whole family, and the last thing we wanted was to have to complain or feel small. So this was a real let down. I will admit that after, we chose to forget about everything that happened so far and to enjoy the rest of the hotel. Another weird issue we found on our trips is that some of our underwear and socks went missing. Due to the issues we encountered before, we did not complain and also felt silly complaining about missing underwear.

On a better note, Krishna, had gone out of his way to try his best to turn this trip around. He arranged for a dinner on the ocean front and made extra effort to say hello and ask us how our day was. It was these little things that made the difference. He also gave us complimentary massage for half an hour which was very lovely of him.

The spa was not very good in all honesty, massages were mediocre, even though we had upgraded the massages and paid for longer, it really wasn't the best. Sauna and steam room could be hotter. When we called for a buggy, the receptionist told us that the wait would be 20 mins however we followed this up at reception who said this was untrue and they were all available to take us to the room. They also made appointments for 8 of us which took half an hour to find that the lady was looking at the wrong sheet and there was no availability - very very frustrating and time wasting.

Restaurant: Buffet was ok, but there could be more choices for food. It was more or less the same thing everyday. Some dishes were good such as the lamb.
The thing I would change about this hotel is that I would make the buffet more relaxed in terms of dress code and then make the other restaurants more smart like most hotels. I don't see the point in getting dressed up for the buffet, men should be allowed to wear smart shorts.

Kangana was not very good - did not enjoy the food.
Ocean front dinner was very good - the food was delicious made by Ashley. Service from Lovenesh and Kevin was very good.

The pool area was nice, is good for families. I spent more time in the kids area pool as the whisper zone pool area was a little too quiet and lifeless for me.

I think improvements that could be made is the hotel communicating better with you. I wasn't aware that there was a games room or that our half board had £50 per room to spend. The water and coffee charged in the room so i went to the supermarket to buy my own.

The club lounge access was a great touch. I enjoyed this as you had drinks served from 4-7.30. I think this is worth opting for. Could be more options for finger food but nevertheless this was good.
I think the buggy service could be more receptive, and reception could be a little friendlier.

The fishing trip was a real let down as we paid 7000 rupees for all of us to go fishing for 2 hours and they provided us with a water bottle and string to fish with!! A complete con. You can find better deals for excursions outside the hotel.

Overall, our trip to mauritius was fantastic, however the hotel did let us down a few times. I have stayed a the Lux belle mare in mauritius prior to this for me that hotel was better. I have also stayed at many luxury resorts around the world and the Westin Turtle Bay was disappointing. Hotel has great potential to excel but really needs to make improvements. Many members of staff were helpful and friendly, but in general, we do not believe that our stay was worth the money we spent on it and we would not consider returning to this resort.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank G4R
De Chalain T, Manager at The Westin Turtle Bay Resort & Spa, Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Dear G4R

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure meeting you personally and your family whilst you stayed with us and yes you did have some issues on arrival which the Management took note of and rectified as best we could. We have cascaded all your points down to the teams and we will use them to better our services to our guests. We would also like to thank you for the positive comments and we will pass them on to the teams and the individual associates named. It was very pleasing to speak to your family on departure and know that we where able to turn your holiday around and that they all had a great time and enjoyed the extra surprises we did for you all. What was vital and very important to us was that you left happy and rejuvenated.

Regards

Tristan de Chalain

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

Visited the Westin Turtle Bay over October half term with our 9 year old son. From the moment we arrived we we made to feel welcome and staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel never seemed busy (although it was at capacity) - easy to find sun bed and tables for dining generally no issue. You have to make reservations for the better restaurants a couple of days in advance. Our room (upgraded to club room on arrival - thank you SPG) was spacious, well equipped and cleaned spotlessly throughout, in fact it is quite hard to find fault, the whole property is well laid out and has a luxurious feel to it - so just to say, visit the Westin in Mauritius and you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank AndySpyder
Reviewed 30 October 2017

Good service. People are very nice. There is good choice of Vegetarian food. Overall a very good experience. Highly recommended. The Manager - Mr. Jamil and all other staff very caring and accommodating. - Mahendra Shah

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mahendra1953
Reviewed 27 October 2017

We spent 10 nights here on an all inclusive deal. It was great. There are five restaurants and two pools. There is a main buffet style restaurant with a large choice of staters, mains and deserts. Really good.. a great Indian restaurant and a high end fine dining restaurant which was good but a bit rich for our taste. A couple of Italian style beach restaurants were excellent for lunch. Our room was large and comfortable with a balcony. I would recommend the hotel complex.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SouthamptonStarlight
Reviewed 27 October 2017

Just wanted to leave a first class review of the Scuba Diving Shop/School run by Atish at the hotel - Turtle Bay Divers. They are extremely friendly, helgup and safe. The diving locations are also wonderful - clear water with wrecks and reefs. Have fun and use them - probably the best diving outfit I have ever used.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family