Kempinski Hotel Soma Bay
US$72
  • Pool
US$96
  • Breakfast included
Viva Blue resort & diving sports(Soma Bay)(Great Value!)
US$84
Hotels.com
US$69
  • Breakfast included
Movenpick Resort Soma Bay(Soma Bay)(Great Value!)
US$87
US$131
US$116
Priceline
  • Pool
1,368 results
All reviewslazy riverlaguna clubbamboo shootssultan barfour seasonsbreakfast and dinnerview restaurantholiday designerssea viewsteam roomjunior suiteprofessional staffspecial thanksmain restaurantother hotelsfree shuttlehalf board
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Kempinski Soma Bay deserves every hotel star it's got. The infrastructure is AMAZING; a big pool landscape, very big hotel rooms, beautiful dining place and a very calm and peaceful beach. The staff is well trained and very cordially. A big compliment to the manager and the whole staff team!! The only point that catched my eye; the personnel managers could be more friendly with their staff. I know it's a Kempinski Hotel with high expectations from guests, but only content staff is good stuff. Apart from that, the most beautiful hotel (concept) I've ever seen.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank YHaldner
Hanyabdelmoneim, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Soma Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

I really thank you for your stunning feed back and comment. My lovely Team will like it so much and this is what give them and I the great push forward from Good to Best like our great company slogan.
I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and rest assured that I will communicate with every manager your respective advise. Much appreciated
Looking forward to welcoming you back at Kempinski Hotel Soma Bay

Reviewed 2 April 2012

The Hotel Kempinsky, Soma Bay, Hourghada is enchanting! We stayed 10 nights and enjoyed every minute. The Hotel staff are very welcoming and provided us with first class service. The rooms are big, very well-equiped and a pleasure to be in. We were given bottles of water and soft drinks, free of charge. No other hotel I have been in has as generous with water and soft drinks!! The beach is lovely and big with a perfect view on the sea. We were given classy towels and bottled water. The sitting, lying area is very comfortable with ample room. We had dinner at the main restaurant where they serve an excellent buffet. There again, the service was just perfect! We also had dinner at the Al-Mar Restaurant where they served a variety of dishes including fresh and very tasty fish. Congratulations to the cooks! We do recommend the hotel Kempinski - a hotel of excellent standard and quality. A place to remember!! It is definitely a 5 star - Bravo!

Room Tip: We chose sea view on floor 4.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very nice feed back. Our staff really feel happy by serving you and the guests,
I also agree with you about the food and the quality of our chefs, I always tell them that you cook from your heart..Also the food is always very fresh starting with the fish.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your vacation and I wish to see you again with your family and friends.

Best regards

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed in the Kempinski for 7 nights with our 4 year old daughter in mid-March. Overall, I rate it as excellent especially given the price we paid. We had a great deal on expedia given this is a 5 star and a very good chain (think half the price of equivalent hotel in Dubai). Only issue was that Hurghada airport is only accessible from London by low-cost and charter flights. Ensure you have some british money as on arrival at Hurghada airport, as you have to pay for visa (£12 per passport from memory). The Visa queues are a bit chaotic, as the attendants use old desk displaying signs with charter tour operators on them, but it’s only for visa payment. There seems to be a whole scam operation about skipping queues for visa and passport in exchange for more money. Also, be aware the luggage trolleys are guarded by people asking for money, but really they’re free (there’s a massive sign saying “free trolleys” above them!). If they ask for money, just politely say no and they will give you one anyway.

We had arranged for a chauffeur to pick us up directly via the hotel which was very good. The Soma Bay complex is basically 45mn drive from the airport, completely remote from Hurghada and very secluded. I wouldn't recommend staying in central Hurghada having seen the type of customers at the airports (mainly cheap low cost travellers from UK/ Germany/ Eastern Europe looking for party/ cheap accommodation/crowded Scuba Diving).

Soma Bay is however very different. It hosts around 4-5 hotels (a Sheraton, the Kempinski, a Robinsons, Breakers which is mainly for divers/windsurfers and another one). The bay is a bit exposed to the wind, but feels very safe and has a golf and practice on site, a Spa center, and a number of diving/kyte/windsurf operations. The vast majority of customers are German, as apparently the main Soma Bay site was discovered by German scuba diving operators. All hotels work together, so you can charge a dive in one operation to your room. To circulate between hotels you can walk, take a free shuttle or a little train/golf cart in the afternoon.
Now, for the Kempinski, service is great, very efficient (German management I believe!), smiles from every one, great reception area. You can get Wi-fi in the reception and around the pools for free if you sign up for a free customer membership programme (no hassle).

Food was high quality with good basics as well as enough variety. Great buffet at breakfast and dinner. There are several stands with cooks for either local middle east food, omelettes for breakfast, roast for dinner and a fish/steak BBQ stand with the daily catch (Barracuda, Parrot fish, Sea breams, Snapper, etc). The Chinese restaurant (Bamboo Shoots) is OK, nothing exciting but located at the Marina which has a number of tourist-trap shops (avoid the one which promises to write your name in hieroglyphs, does a bad job and you have to haggle). For the shops, you need cash as well, can’t charge this to your room. Reception can give you cash using your credit card in exchange for a 5% fee.

The lunch place around the pool was great, especially when they have freshly caught fish and seafood available. At dinner time, the Buffet area can feel a bit busy, and expect to wait a bit especially if you order a la Carte. I strongly advise trying out the Egyptian wines (white, rose and red), surprisingly good and cheap in relative terms. The bar has some entertainment during the evening, belly dancers, derwish turners, singers, etc. You can smoke a sheesha there as well.

Room. Great space, immense double bed, large bathroom, tons of TV channels (but not many in English), lots of storage space, a safe and a fridge with no alcohol (but you can order alcohol via room service even very late if you fancy a night cap).

Daytime activities. Beach is great, plenty of sunbeds available with wind shelters. There's a bar next to the beach where you can order drinks and food. You get free bottles of waters and towels. You can rent snorkelling equipment for 5 euros, which I strongly advise as you will probably see as much wildlife on the beach coral reef as you will diving out (I did both). The water is great, although there were a few jellyfish when we were there. If you are not sure about the sea, they have a heated swimming pool as well.

Next to the reception area, you find the Gym and the sauna/steam room/private swimming pool which is quite large. The Gym didn’t have the air-conditioning working when we were there, so was far too hot for us to use. Next to the Gym, they have the crèche/kids playground area, but when we toured it, the door was wide open with some children in it and no staff at all overseeing them. So we didn’t use it at all. Quite scary, really.

For diving, I used the operations at the Breakers. It’s operated by German staff and has mainly German-speaking customers, but they all speak English as well and it’s well managed. You take a free shuttle in the morning (ask the doorman to ring for him), and it takes no more than 5 min to go there. Don’t forget to tell them your passport number, a requirement from Egyptian coast guards for diving boats. No pelagic fish on the dives alas, some good visibility and coral is not bleached. But you won’t see sharks, dolphins or large rays on morning or day dives. For this, I was told either South Egypt or live-aboard (as usual) is best.

Last, I should mention that the hotel was 25% full only, meaning that it does feel a bit empty during the day, but that’s also the reason for the great deal we had. Egypt is still scaring a lot of people, meaning that the really nice destinations outside Cairo are now a bargain. If it’s still great value next winter, we will seriously consider going back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Darklangel

A great detailed feed back from a great guest who is very professional in explaining his vacation and the hotel even better than we can do. I'm very thankful for your nice comments and description that I'm sure will stimulate other guests to visit us. Much appreciated

I'm happy that you found Soma Bay a comfortable place for your vacation and very looking for welcoming you back with your family and friends

Best regards

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed in the Kempinski for 10 nights with our two sons (2 & 4) and had a wonderful time. The Kempinski is in a beautiful location and in perfect condition. The hotel is managed by a very experienced General Manager who does a wonderful job with his staff. Everyone seems to enjoy his work. We were treated friendly and respectful. The kids were always welcome and had a nice program to choose from.
The weather end of February is still a bit chilly but the pools are heated and we could sit outside for dinner with heating devices on the terrace too.
All in all we had a fantastic time and will be back asap. This is a place we can very much recommend.

Room Tip: If you have kids it makes sense to take a room not too close to the bar area - otherwise we would always recommend to take a Laguna Club room and up.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank 2007Dubai
Hanyabdelmoneim, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Soma Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

I always believe that it's never too late to answer..I'd like to thank you so much for your very nice comments . Your enjoyment push us more and more to care more and move from Good to Best.

Looking forward to welcoming you very soon
Warmest regards

Reviewed 24 February 2012

We arrived in Hurghada on a very late flight on a Saturday, and by the time we got to Kempinski Soma Bay, it must have been an hour or two past midnight. My husband and I have a 4-year old son, and we travelled with my in-laws. Our check-in was done very efficiently and without prompting, the night auditor (Mr Nasser) offered to order some light snacks from Room Service, so we could get something to eat. As a hotelier myself, I found his pro-active action very recommendable, and I am happy to say that, it is the pro-activeness of most of the hotel staff that is blew us away.

We got into our rooms, and there was a plate of light snacks on the coffee table, and a plate of goodies for our son, which he was very thankful for. 5 minutes later, a knock came and in rolled room service with plates of cold cuts and cakes and two baskets full of bread - and we thought the earlier plate was more than enough! It was very generous and thoughtful gesture. We appreciated it very much. Thank you!

We absolutely loved everything about the hotel, the rooms were impeccable, the beds one of the most comfortable we've ever slept in, and don't get me started about the food! We stayed 9 nights on half-board and never were we bored by the selection at the evening buffet table. Our son was having pasta most of his stay, done to his liking. The Bamboo Shoot Asian restaurant is worth a visit, we were there on our first night and were very satisfied with the food. It is open on Sundays and Thursdays (at least while we were there), do make a reservation for it tends to be popular.

Our stay coincided with Valentine's Day, and the Asian Restaurant had a special Valentine's Day menu to celebrate the occasion. Naturally, we decided to go for it since we had such a great experience the first time. It started great, the starters were good. However, we were quite disappointed with the main course and dessert. The taste of the beef was good, but the measly asparagus and bland filled-artichoke did not lend the dish a favour. As for the fish, it was breaded and pan-fried, but it was soggy and a little bland. Again, the bland filled-artichoke made the dish worse. The dessert was cold and stale. Now i know desserts are supposed to be cold, but that dessert reminded me of something that stood in a bakery's refrigerator for a week before it was served. Now we left the restaurant without mentioning it to our friendly servers, but when Wael, who served us, asked the next day when we had lunch by the pool bar, what we thought about it, we told him the truth. We were not expecting any actions by the hotel when we mentioned it, we just felt it fair for the hotel to know what we felt. The next day, we had a bottle of champagne and carefully prepared desserts placed in our room, with a note from Adil the F&B coordinator, wishing us a pleasant stay. We thought it weird that we had that sent up in the middle of our stay, but hey, it is always nice to have champagne. Later during dinner, we found out that Adil had meant the champagne as reconciliation - for our non-satisfactory Valentine's Day dinner. Now if that isn't a recovery action, I don't know what else is. Well done!

Our morning buffet was fantastic, I never got tired of it. Our usual server, Hany, always smiling and friendly, remembers from our first day, our preferences for coffee. An espresso macchiato for the hubby and a latte macchiato, double shot for me. Excellent, excellent!

When it blows in Soma Bay, it really blows, and it was not possible to sit by the pool area. That's when the beach area is fully utilised. There is a windshield for every canopy, so being protected by the wind, one can bask under the hot sun without feeling chilly. There is water activities center right next door with state of the art equipment, a plus for location. We played golf at the nearby Cascades Golf Course, and really, it was within close proximity. Another plus for location. The only thing we have to say about the shuttle is, it has its ups and downs. While it can be convenient that the bus comes "within 10 minutes" upon being called for, it can also lead to frustrations and unexpected waiting time for others. It is stated in the hotel handbook that the shuttle comes every 10 minutes from a certain hour and ends at a certain hour. Could it not be more managable to put a real schedule on a board by the front entrance - giving real time, to avoid any hassle? We waited for 15 mins once, and my in-laws waited 30 mins another time, before they realised somebody forgot to call the shuttle.

All in all, Kempinski Soma Bay is a fantastic hotel, great value for money, superbly located with everything within short proximity. No need to go anywhere else though, we visited Safaga and got nothing out of it. Most of all, the staff is the one thing that defines a hotel's hospitality - and Kempinski has it all.

Room Tip: Get sea view room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank JesperColding
Hanyabdelmoneim, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Soma Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

I would like to really thank you for your very personal nice comments about the hotel and the staff and I'm so happy to share it with them specially with those mentioned in your feed back.
We believe in Kempinski that "It's all about people" and the people who had the pleasure of serving you are really passionate and caring well selected people.

I want to thank you for your highlighting the areas for improvement which I consider it very important and I will personally work on it

Such kind of recognition and feed back support our vision of moving from Good to Best and assure the best Kempinski remarkable service in the land of Pharaohs , Egypt

Looking forward to welcoming you back again at Soma Bay