“Road trip”

Residence Inn Binghamton
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Vestal
Reviewed 1 October 2017

The hotel was hard to find. We spent one night here and on the surface it looked like a great place. Check in was easy and Lisabeth was very helpful. We were in building 9, right next to the main entrance. Things looked nice for the most part in the studio. There was a full kitchen with stainless steel appliances, along with a granite table and counters. In the living room was a desk with a chair, a sofa, a side table with an ottoman, a tv on a stand, and a small coat closet. Then there was a bed right before the two closets. The toilet and tub were in the bathroom together. The sink and vanity were in an open area next to the bathroom. There was a full length mirror by the vanity as well as a wide mirror above it

My friend slept in the bed and said the mattress was hard as a rock. I slept on the sofa bed and the mattress was so thin, I could feel the metal bars through the mattress. When the sofa bed was open we had to move the couch back and it blocked the walkway from the bed area to the kitchen. The bathroom was very tiny and caulking was needed around the tub. We found dead bugs in two corners and a spider in the tub.

A complimentary breakfast was offered from 7-10 am. It was the average breakfast offering - scrambled eggs and pork or turkey sausage patties were the hot entree. There were bagels, toast, various cold cereals, oatmeal, boiled eggs, yogurt, bananas, cut up pineapple and cantaloupe and make it yourself waffles. The timer on the waffle iron wasn't working properly and my waffle overcooked. I saw numerous discarded burnt waffles. They had apple and orange juice and three kinds of coffee. There was hot and ice water available for tea and hot chocolate. There was plenty of seating.

We used the exercise room. There were various free weights , two treadmills, and an elliptical. Towels and cold water were supplied. There were wipes to clean off the equipment. I was told there was a partnership with a local fitness facility that was available for use by hotel guests.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 2 October 2017

Dear 143jacquelinen,

We appreciate the detailed review you gave of our property. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. I've informed the necessary department heads regarding your concerns. I'm not sure if you heard , but we are scheduled for renovation this coming January! I hope you can make it out here again to see our new look!

Many Thanks!

Carlos Gonzalez
Residence Inn Binghamton

Reviewed 10 September 2017

If you come here in the dark, be ready to drive back and forth to find the real entrance. Nothing is lit near the front. Next, be ready for an AC system that turns on and off, creating the sensation of "quiet and noise." I need one or the other - not both. When I tried to change the thermostat to "fan on" I realized that there is no light near the wall holding the thermostat. I finally turned on my laptop to use it as a "beacon" to change the setting. The tub shower drained slowly - very slowly. All four pillows seemed to be constructed from the same reinforced concrete. Usually there is at least ONE soft pillow among the group. Just annoying.

Finally, at 1:30 am, some jerk pulled up on his 3 wheel motorcycle with the radio blaring. Left it on for 20 seconds. Proceeded to storm up the steps to the room next to me. And slammed the door as hard as possible. This is certainly not the hotel's fault. But it just added to the aggravation of picking the wrong location. I saved $34 over the price of another Marriott, but paid for it in annoyance.

Breakfast was typical Marriott. Frozen cantaloupe segments - when it is IN season. Overcooked pork sausage, and bland and watery eggs.

The staff here is fine. They are dealing with a outdated physical plant as well as a outmoded design. I would tear it down and start again.

Room Tip: Two floor layout. Go for the top floor so you don't have to listen to the guy above you.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Deb_Davern, Manager at Residence Inn Binghamton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2017

Hello John I:
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for maintenance issues you encountered. Thanks to comments such as yours, our company has heard what our guests are saying and we are set up for renovation this winter. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will consider us again when your travels bring you back to the Binghamton/Vestal area.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Being the half way point between Niagara Falls and NYC, we stayed here for a night. First, we showed up at night and there seems to be only 1 little tiny sign on the side of Vestal Pkwy to how to get to this place as the entrance road is around the corner, took us a couple of U-turns to find, but we eventually did. We stayed in the 2 room suite. Check in was quick and easy. Our room was nice, well appointed. Stayed for just the night and didn't really utilize the hotel's amenities, just a place to crash for the night with the family. Beds were comfy, I would come again. Price was right.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Hello wolfman2014:
Thank you for the nice review. I am sorry it was so difficult for you to find us, we are rather tucked "around the corner". Now that you know where we are, hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

I am not sure where those other people stayed at, but the Residence inn at Marriott,was wonderful. We stayed for a night to visit Binghamton university, the room was spacious, modern kitchen with all the modern updates and utensils, you can think of. Nice confortable bed, fire place, small bathroom and adequate vanity area. It has a nice pool, and great breakfast. If my son decides to go to Binghamton, it will definitely be our place to stay for college visits.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Hello eunicehb:
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate you taking the time to give us such a nice review of your stay.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I chose this hotel last month for one night because it allows dogs (for a pricey $75) and because it is supposedly convenient to I-81. I did not find it particularly convenient to I-81 and I did not particularly enjoy my stay. While the front desk staff was nice enough, the hotel just seemed so old, our room was somewhat icky, and it seemed like the guest in the room above us lived at the hotel and spent the whole night pacing back and forth from room to room. It was not a great Residence Inn experience.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Deb_Davern, Manager at Residence Inn Binghamton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Dear sarathemom:
Please accept our apology that your recent stay did not meet your expectations; in regards to I-81 accessibility and that your room seemed "icky". We are looking forward to our room renovations that are scheduled to begin January 2018 and hope that you will try us again if your travels bring you back to the Binghamton/Vestal area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vestal
2.1 km away
3.6 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton
3.5 km away
Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown

Been to Residence Inn Binghamton? Share your experiences!