See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My wife and I enjoyed a very nice 3 night stay in the 1st week of June. We enjoyed the facility and the personal attention from our hosts Merle and John. I have to say that after reading the other posts, we couldn't imagine them to be accurate. The room is older but kept very neat and clean, and we appreciated the personal touch from the owner (who by the way does the cleaning herself). The Dwarfline Motel and Cottages is a type of business that is disappearing and being replaced by impersonal corporate chains. Though everything wasn't "right-angle" perfect, the rare character is what we adored. It's in a unique "off the beaten track" neighborhood across from the beach and back by the Verona Beach State Park, we felt like we were in a pleasant natural surrounding with deer in the back yard. I saw the "bed bug" photos here. We certainly didn't have these problems and don't think they really exist, but I suspect that being by the woods and spending time on the patio in the eve, you could get a few mosquito bites (so bring some OFF)!

I am writing here because I want to let you all know the good time we had, so many people will only post to these sites when they have negative things to say. The Dwarf Line was a truly unexpected delight and I don't want to see places like these hurt by possibly unfounded negative postings when I can tell of my positive experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank caravandog_11
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I will never stay here or reccomend this place to anyone I know EVER...it is little more then a roach motell... thir rates were unbeleivable...the room was tiny there were stains on the towels, the beds were horrible the electrical system was unexceptable for anyone especially for family's with children we were arfaid our stuff was going to be burned up..our friends stayed two doors down and they had everything in the room that was ran by electric plugged into extention cords ran from the room next to us...including the airconditioner... ohhh did I mention the bed buggs??? Yes I said Bed BUGGS I have uploaded pics for everyone to see....please if you are planing a trip to sylvan beach there are meny others that are much better and you get what you pay for with this roach motel you do not..I was very very disaponted by the lack of human consideration these people have for there costomers.. and they can beleive if we have brought these buggs back to my home I will be calling my lawyer to get my 260$ for two nights i spent back....

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Jenniewhite13
greenbelt048, Owner at Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

Again, we apologize for any unhappy experiences by our guests. While the vast majority are happy, and many times returning guests, there are always some who will not be satisfied and I'm sorry that these guests did not address their concerns during their multiple night stay. Any suspected stained towels would have been corrected on the spot. As for electrical systems, they are inspected every year by the county and have always passed, we ourselves have lived in the building.

But the main concern which I mentioned in the previous post response is the bed bug accusation. Inspection showed no such problem. The photos attached to the post are not characteristic of the welted swelling of bed bug bites (as our inspector explained), they do however resemble mosquito bites and unfortunately, at the lake in a wet spring there is not much we can do except keep our doors closed! I apologize for these inconveniences and hope that you will all come and stay with us in our friendly motel and cottages at our little resort area by Oneida Lake. Thank you!

Reviewed 14 June 2011

The place use to be a nice little place to attend but this year the place was not like it use to be. As soon as I laid down on my bed the bed bugs started their feast on my legs on me and my two friends. The owner are very friendly and leave you alone you hardly see them. I don't know if they know about the bed bugs but should address this issue. If they had free internet access and cable will sure help alot.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Larry312

We apologize for any suspicion of bed bugs. We did have an inspection done and our units are free of this problem. The location of this unit near the woods and leaving the door open may have created a mis-interpretation of mosquito bites for bed bugs (this is further supported by the photos in the next post above).

As a side note, we have experienced other unrelated problems involving guests and 'bed bug' complaints may be an easy way of retaliation (we are not claiming that in this case however).

Please all come back and enjoy a stay with us by the lake and park!

Reviewed 1 June 2011

It was cute n cozy and nice location but had no hot water!

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I was in town for Sylvan Beach Amusement Park and had decided ahead of time that I was going to stick around for the night instead of driving towards the next day's destination. The motel is located on a quiet mostly residential street and backs up to a state park. The actual town of Sylvan Beach is about a mile down the road which you may or may not prefer.

Merle was very nice and remembered me from an e-mail I had sent before my trip. She was also interested as to why a teenager was looking for a hotel in rural New York (I was on an amusement park road trip).

My room was in what I assume is its original condition, which I honestly had no problem with as it was spotless. The bed was comfortable, though a bit more firm than I'm used to seeing at hotels. I actually prefer a firmer bed, but I can understand how someone could find it uncomfortable. The wall air conditioning unit did a fine job keeping the room cool. There was free wi-fi and my laptop had no problem getting a signal.

The bathroom was indeed very small. The toilet nearly impeded on the sink. The shower's head wasn't over my head, and I'm only about 6'. Since I didn't spend too much time in there I can't mark down too much, but this could be a concern if you have a whole morning routine.

I paid $65 for my room. My initial reaction was that it's on the verge of being expensive but since Sylvan Beach is a classic resort town this is actually cheaper than other hotels in the area. I would've paid something similar or more for a chain along the turnpike, anyways.

Overall I was very pleased with my stay. My room was clean and comfortable and I felt welcomed. If my travels bring me to Sylvan Beach again I will see if a room is available at the Dwarf Line Motel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo