“Poor Service and Food”

Price range: US$9 - US$16
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2014 via mobile

I had not been here in years! The last time I dined here the name was Marge's Seashell Inn and I remember wonderful dining experiences again and again. However, this time it was an entirely different dining experience. Our food was all dried out and over cooked. The pork chops were tough and dry. The steaks ordered medium were well done and had no juice or moisture in them at all....no pink either. The service left a lot to be desired, even though there were only a few other diners when we visited. Our server never came back to check on us or offer drink refills. We are not in a hurry to return as there are many better choices in the Verona Beach and Sylvan Beach area.

5  Thank eyerishwoman

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We had visited this resaurant decades ago when Marge's was the first name of this restaurant on the beautiful shores of Oneida Lake in Verona Beach, NY and I was returning with my childhood friend, Nancy, her husband, Ed, My husband and my brother and his wife. The friendly waitress was prompt and the soup and hors d'ouevres were steaming and delicious. Crab cakes were the specialty of the house that night- yummy, as was the haddock and broiled sole. We shared some entrees and found that there was plenty of fresh salad, bread and soup for all. Of course the view was spectacular as we reminisced about years gone by and were glad that the food was still good and that the Sea Shell Inn would remain a positive memory

2  Thank KTerry006
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Too bad the food was sadly mediocre for a restaurant with such a great location...We used to go here for family celebrations because it was special.... Hadn't been there in a few years, so decided to go back for a "birthday dinner".. Although it was a bit pricey, we thought it would be worth it because the food, atmosphere and service would be above average.... Unfortunately, they were not.... The 3 broiled fish dinners were very dry, the other entrees were a bit disappointing, and the appetizers seemed way overpriced for the amount that was served, Although it was not crowded, service was not always attentive, and the check was miscalculated as well.... All in all, not a great dining experience, except for the fact that my family was there together....

3  Thank Goodfoodonlyplease
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The only thing preventing me from selecting "Terrible" in this review is the atmosphere / sunset. The Sea Shell has been a favorite summer time dining location of ours for years. It is hands down the best place to watch the sun set on the east shore of Oneida lake. Historically the food has matched the atmosphere, unfortunately something has changed this year and it is NOT for the better.

Earlier this summer we were looking forward to kicking off the summer with a great dinner and sunset at the Sea Shell. We enjoyed a great sunset but had a terrible dinner, but thought... OK it was bad but anyone can have a bad day. Last night we gave them another go... it was equally as bad as before. From dried out over cooked pork chops (which historically had been amazing) to fish that was equally as bad, the meal was a total miss.

It is truly unfortunate that one of our favorite summertime dinning spots is experiencing such a downturn in quality. Sorry but even an amazing sunset won't be able to get us back anytime soon.

1  Thank Pete B
Reviewed 30 September 2013

11 of us went to celebrate my 60th birthday. Our reservation was at 7:30-not seated until 8:30, so we had a couple of cocktails at the bar. My husband had 2 beers at the bar, and then 1 beer at the table and asked for another while eating. The waitress said "I am sorry sir the bartender is cutting you off, she feels you had too much to drink, and we are worried about you people driving" I told her we have designated drivers and there should be no problem, plus he only had 3 beers. The waitress also denied beverage to two other people. Now if we didn't have to wait there for an hour and were seated at the time our reservation was designated for we wouldn't of drank at the bar. Also, we had to wait for our food which was cold, and terrible. If we would of been seated at a reasonable wait, and feed at another reasonable time-maybe we would of only had 1-2 drinks vs 3? Mind you there was only 2 other couples in the place, so food preparation could of been better and served better. We all paid our bills and left with disgrace. My husband even told the owner that he would never come back to their establishment and she said "than don't. Nice place huh?

4  Thank virginia p