“Excellent Hole in the Wall”

Goodies Mediterranean Grill and Cuisine
Ranked #101 of 768 Restaurants in Syracuse
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Ate here the other night while in town on business. I started off with the lentil and spinach soup. This traditional soup is simple, but very flavorful. For my meal, I had the lamb sish kebab with grilled veggies, rice and tabouli. The lamb was tender and full of flavor while the tabouli had a nice kick of lemon, garlic and mint. Again, another simple dish done right. Their Turkish coffee was spot on and the homemade baklava is made with cane syrup instead of honey. While some prefer the honey flavor, I think it overpowers it. Get the pistachio when you go.

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Stopped here for a quick lunch. I had a gyro salad with lamb. Tzatziki was excellent. Everything in the salad was very fresh. I also try the spanakopita which was also delicious and I would say the best I've ever had. Can't wait to try other items next time.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Found this restaurant on trip advisor and visited based on the good reviews. We were disappointed big time. We were not expecting the decor to be good, but hoped the food would make up for it, so not the case.

The owner sat behind us in a booth and talked very loudly to who I guess was a friend. Our server forgot our drinks til more than halfway through he meal. Chicken was dry. Prices were not great either. It was a fail on all accounts.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

We have noticed several Syrian/Lebanese restaurants in the Northeast that either started in little storefronts and grew into large establishments or remained small and hidden gems. This is one of them. If you are cruising up and down on James Street or one of the parallel roads, you may very well miss this restaurant. It is a small diner in a small brick building with several other stores.

After a long day of travel, we arrived at nearly closing time. We were graciously greeted and told we may sit anywhere. Another customer came in after we were finished with our meals and the server told him they were closing, but she would ask her boss if food was available. The owner came out, saying the kitchen was closed, but he would pack up ready-made items if the customer wanted food to go. The customer wanted hot food, so declined the generous offer.

The regular menu features the familiar Middle Eastern dishes--stuffed grape leaves, shawarma, falafel, skewered meats. In addition, on the blackboard in back of the lunch counter are the specials--the stuffed cabbage, the stuffed kussa (coosa or cousa per some spellings), and combination platters that become available as the ingredients do.

My companion tried a small order of the stuffed cabbage. The spices in the filling imparted a robust flavor to the meal, yet it was not spicy and hot. I tried the kussa. On the board, they were described as stuffed zucchini. But when they arrived, much to my delighted surprise, they were real kussa, the light green Lebanese/Syrian summer squash, in the traditional tomato broth. The owner indicated that they were going fast, and that they would probably run out in a couple of more days. The kussa filling was also quite robust, but not hot spicy. We finished our meal with a “to go” container of home-made traditional baked goods – very tasty and not too sweet.

The owner told me he was from Beirut. The spices people from this city use in their cooking do differ from what natives of the Bekaa Valley use. Some people prefer one over the other, but I like both.

If there is one small improvement this restaurant could make, it would be to offer the authentic Lebanese/Syrian dressing for the side salad, not the typical American restaurant dressings. Goodies does offer the Middle Eastern dressing (lemon, olive oil, spices) on one of their specialty salads, but they should offer it for the side salads as well.

If we ever return to Syracuse, we definitely are coming back here!

5  Thank StarWeez
Reviewed 17 April 2017

This place is greatttt! It's very small and cozy and they also offer takeout, where you can order online. The vegetarian grape leaves (dolma) were sooooo delicious!! and I got the vegetarian sandwich which was really tasty. I went with my mother and gave her a bit of my sandwich. She ordered fish, which she said was great also, but she LOVED the vegetarian sandwich wrap with kalamata olives, feta cheese, onions, tomato, lettuce, yum!! She is a meat eater and she said she wished she had gotten the vegetarian sandwich! LOL! The prices are very reasonable and the food delicious. We also bought baklava, omg delicious!! We will definitely be back here soon!! Don't hesitate, go!! The owner comes out and greets you, he is very nice, and the waitress was also very pleasant and helpful, this is my new favorite place. They also sell some foods at the regional market on Saturdays. Awesome place to eat!! Lots of vegetarian options!! GO!!

1  Thank Carol S