All reviews the cottages roe duck pond the main house new england fantastic wedding venue hot breakfast buffet long island caesar salad fine restaurant cocktail hour stayed one night path leading clean floor gas fireplace north shore small beach
Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

We live in the area but had never eaten here (although our children have attended several catered events). We decided to take advantage of Restaurant Week and have dinner. The food was good but we were not impressed by the service. We were placed in the bar by the fireplace and felt completely ignored. We had ordered dinners and gotten our appetizers and then waited for over 1/2 hour for the second course. I finally asked another server if he could locate the young woman who was taking care of our table and still didn’t get a response. I went to the front desk and asked about our meal and finally got a response. We were told that our server had a medical issue. I understand that but don’t appreciate the fact that our table was completely ignored. I had the mussels with fries. The mussels were tasty but the fries were cold when we got our meal. The restaurant also provides one slice of bread with the meal. I asked for additional and I was given one more slice of bread. Nothing was offered to my husband. We will be giving this restaurant a pass in the future.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Daniel L, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

We are very sorry to hear that you left disappointed. As soon as I heard that one of my servers fell ill I stepped in and took care of you myself for the rest of your time with us. I also discounted your check and I thank you, again, for your understanding during these unforeseen circumstances. We would love to have you back in to give you the experience that you deserve. Please feel free to reach out to me personally. Maggie 631-751-0555

Reviewed 13 April 2018

I really like the "feel" of this place, and the atmosphere, but upkeep-wise and maintenance-wise, it's terrible and borderline dangerous.
Example: leaving the tavern and dining room area to go to the cottages, one exits via two doors to a small patio area and a path leading to the cottages. The second door has three hinges. Two were completely ripped out of the door, just hanging in the wind. The door was only held on by the middle hinge which looked like it was about to fail. Not safe!
The cottages were well worn. The steps to some rooms were so saggy they seemed about to tumble down, bounced and felt unsafe. Some of the bricks were missing. The steps to our cottage were very questionable - the first one was so high another step should have been in front.
But it had atmosphere. Mold and dampness everywhere. How about a good clean-up? Maybe some new paint. If not, this place will just fall down.
All the rooms/cottages had spongy floors with a laminated probably put down on top of original rotten wood. Makes me shiver.
But nice.
Food was good, breakfast great.
Oh, I forgot the locks on the room doors - the dead bolt on ours didn't work and someone walked in around 1 am. Scarry.
But, quaint!
But anyway, enjoy it, just make sure your insurance is all paid up.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank 65_PB
Daniel L, General Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. As you may be aware maintenance issues can arise at any time and do especially after the tough and prolonged wither weather that we have had. The door that leads out to the inner courtyard was damaged (the bottom Hinge was pulled out) by a wind storm on Saturday and was replaced by monday. It was inspected and we found that it was not a danger to our guests during the weekend as the two other hinges were sufficient to hold up the door. All of our guest rooms have been freshly painted in the past six weeks by our maintenance team. We checked all rooms for signs of mold and found none. Dampness with the amount of rain we have recently had is not unusual, all rooms are equipped with heating and AC which when used eliminate these issues. There is no rotten wood in any of our buildings, although some of the rooms date back to 1751c we have a full time maintenance team that stays on top of any issues that do come up. We truly wish that all of our guests have a comfortable and safe stay when they visit us and a apologize that we let you down. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will be happy to make it up to you.

Respectfully, Daniel L. GM

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

We just celebrated my sister’s 50th birthday at The Three Village Inn with 20-something of our closest family and friends. We had a beautiful room. The service and food was excellent. The caterer is super easy to work with. And the manager, Danny Laffitte is amazing and personally makes sure your dinner party is perfect & everything is top notch. We can’t say enough about him and the customer service he provides to you during the planning process of your event, as well as on the evening of your party. The valet is also included and terrific. They all were super professional and friendly. From the moment you enter the Inn to the time you leave, it is a wonderful memorable experience. If you are planning a party just need a special place for lunch or dinner - this is definitely a place to book. You will not be disappointed!!!!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Daniel L, General Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

It was such a pleasure to have assisted you in hosting your celebration here at Mirabelle. I look forward to seeing you all again soon at The Three Village Inn. Thanks for the kind remarks the team truly appreciate it.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Wonderful place. Quiet charming, excellent rooms, old time East Coast flair. Fireplaces and restaurant cute and charming. I would recommend it to anybody who is looking for an old European feel-stay in the USA.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Daniel L, General Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

We thank you for sharing your experience at the Three Village Inn during your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure hosting you, we hope you come back soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

The Three Village Inn is located in Stony Brook on Long Island's north shore, about halfway to Orient Point, the island's north fork. It is a quiet little respite from the hubbub and stresses of the big city to the west, about two hours from Manhattan by car assuming non-rush-hour traffic, which is always difficult to predict. I grew up on Long Island but haven't lived there in 30 years. Instead, my wife and I took a foreign transfer to Tokyo where we've lived since, only coming home to New York once every few years to visit relatives, catch up with old friends and relive old memories. We had our honeymoon in the Three Village Inn in 1987 but haven't seen it since. We were happy to see that it hadn't changed much in that time beyond new paint and some minor renovations to the cottages.

Originally known as the Old Homestead, the Three village Inn was built in 1751 by Richard Hallock. In 1835 it was bought by Jonas Smith, a prominent ship owner, for use as a summer house and it served in that capacity for a succession of owners until 1929 when Mrs. Frank Melville converted it into a Women's Exchange. In the 1930s she opened a tea room and later that decade, a restaurant with rooms for overnight guests. Today it is run as a country inn, has 27 rooms and four cottages, and is open year round to individual guests as well as private functions for up to 200 people.

It is a lovely old place rich in nautical history as is much of the island's north shore. The rooms and cottages are reasonably priced in off-peak seasons, more expensive in December for the holidays. We did not see the rooms but our one-room cottage was spacious and simply appointed with antique furniture and a distinctly New England flavor. Our cottage also had a working gas-powered fireplace which you turned on with a wall switch -- very welcome in cold weather but not too much heat comes from it so it could be used in temperate seasons as well. Service is polite but laid back and not overly swift. There is a fine restaurant with New England seafood dishes on the menu. We had broiled salmon and almond trout and both were delicious. During off-season in mid-week both the bar and restaurant have few patrons making conversations private and romantic. Piped in 60s music seemed to be the theme while we were there. I'm told they do more business on weekends for weddings and receptions so mid-week is a good time to go if you want to avoid the crowds. Stony Brook Harbor is within view of the hotel's front door and some of the rooms, and the nearby town of Stony Brook has many shops that look like they haven't changed much in 75 years. Many fine old colonial houses are in the area as well. It's all very New England without being period pretentious. There is history to be explored as well but, alas, we didn't have time for that. We were, however, there in early November and the trees were in fine color. Take your time on the drive north from the Long Island Expressway as the roads are very beautiful that time of year.

Room Tip: The cottages are spacious, quiet and a short walk from the main building. Mid-week is best to avoid the crowds.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

kmpres,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience as well as the rich history Three Village Inn offers.
We are happy to hear you enjoyed a lovely dinner and were able to relive memories from your honeymoon! We look forward to your next visit to Stony Brook!