“Overpriced and average food (at best!)”
Review of Sunset Beach

Sunset Beach
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Shelter Island
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

$10 for a medium sized bottle of Evian. $28 for a small Niçoise salad with tinned tuna and old cherry tomatoes.
Very average service.
What a rip off!
Only plus is great view and great beach - hugely disappointing otherwise!!
Come for the beach but bring your own food and drinks!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank timetomeeow
There are newer reviews for Sunset Beach

Reviewed 24 July 2017

I am giving it two stars to highlight how dissapointed we were paying so much money for what was being managed like a beach hut. First of all, the pros:
Great vibe, some great, hard working staff, including the person killing himself to set up chairs and umbrellas in the blistering heat. The free bikes, beach chairs and umbrellas is a great plus. The vibe of the bar is great, as is the water.
Now for the cons. When we got to our room, there were many dead bugs all over the place. Perhaps the room had been empty, but c'mon - get a mop and clean it. For over $500 a night it should be crisp and clean. The glasses for morning orange juice were visibly disgusting, and the silverware with our crossaints were also dirty.
If the hotel wants to rest on its laurels, it will have customers and continue to be booked on weekends by the rich and famous, but will lose the benefit of returning weekday customers when it would have been so easy to keep us. Hope they take my advice.
At the end of the day, we did have a good time, but not without feeling like we did not get what we paid for.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicoli
Reviewed 18 July 2017

The setting is stunning, the restaurants and bar buzzing and the food great.............but the rooms are a disgrace. We travelled from London for a birthday. Arrived late at night, no toilet paper in the room, a broken toilet seat, a sink that didn't drain, a hairdryer that didn't work, a curtain hanging off its hooks, a dirty terrace......how can they charge $500 a night for rooms no better than a motel.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank Gareth L
Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

I planned a romantic 2nd anniversary weekend here with my husband. My uncle died suddenly after discovering he had stage 4 cancer. He didn't want a funeral but instead requested a memorial service with the entire family participating. I called the hotel to explain this and she was extremely cold and said I would lose $240 and that they were a small hotel and there was nothing she could do(with absolutely no remorse). I asked to speak to the manager and she said she was the manager. So I said I guess I would just have to keep it because I can't afford to spend that much on another 2nd anniversary weekend. After we hung up she had the gall to chase me for a cancellation! They must be desperate for cash to be so rude to someone who is in a period of grieving. Be ware they are greedy and do not put customers first.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank elizabethbaisley
Reviewed 7 November 2016

I wanted to like Sunset Beach, but their propensity for astronomical charges with average delivery wore thin. The staff are mainly kids on a summer vacation. So, they're hung over while serving over-priced breakfast. The reception invite you to go to the bar yourself when you ask for ice. They, comically, close reception at 10pm. The bar / restaurant booms music way past midnight and every room feels it. Wine is marked up by a factor of 3. Whispering Angel rose is $20 at the local store and $60 in the minibar. A crudite board of chopped radishes and tomatoes was $23 (I think). The ingredients cost $2 max. Nor is Shelter Island miles from civilisation or accessible by boat only one day a week. The hostesses in the restaurant are tediously glum in that way that hot girls sometimes think appropriate. All very dull.
It's a funny thing this over-charging game... I don't think anyone's really having fun. The customers are irritable, and rightly so. They staff are on the receiving end. And the owner is presumably miles away in a big house. The most glaring omission was a manager overseeing it all, managing the detail, making it hard to complain because everything is so great. It wasn't, so it was very annoying.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor
3.7 km away
Cliffside Resort Condominiums

Been to Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!