West Neck Guesthouse(Shelter Island Heights)(Great Value!)
US$285
The Pridwin Hotel(Shelter Island)
US$417
The Chequit(Shelter Island Heights)(Great Value!)
US$385
US$375
US$434
Cliffside Resort Condominiums(Greenport)(Great Value!)
US$551
US$455
Hotels.com
The Blue Inn At North Fork(East Marion)(Great Value!)
US$296
US$274
TripAdvisor
House on Chase Creek(Shelter Island Heights)
TripAdvisor
Dering Harbor Inn(Shelter Island)
All reviewssummer weekendferry ridevibedjweekendsluxe
Reviewed 19 August 2016 via mobile

We spent 4 nights at the Sunset Beach.
The spot is really nice and the sunset amazing but unfortunately the place is very overpriced considering the lack of service: hard to find someone to help you with the luggage which were heavy considering we are traveling from Europe, no service at night in the room, self service for breakfast at the price of a 5 star hotel.
The room are nice but once again not well maintained: don't look below the stained carpet you might get frightened, damaged wooden floor, dust in the closet.
Regarding the restaurant, the food and the setting are really nice, but once again really overpriced and the white seat cushion would need a cleaning from time to time...
Overall we liked it there, not sure though we will recommend it.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2016

My sister and I stopped at Sunset Beach last summer (August of 2015) for a very late lunch (or very early dinner). We also wanted to see how the hotel has changed since we vacationed on Shelter Island when we were kids. Our grandfather owned a home on the island from 1930 until 1985 so my mother and her siblings and then my sister and I (and our cousins) spent every summer on the Island during our childhoods. Of course it has changed but not as dramatically as one would think-we go back every couple of years for long weekends. I would not normally review a hotel/restaurant based on how it was decades ago and this is the only review of any hotel or restaurant on the island that I have written (altho' I do plan on writing about the Ram's Head after we visit in June of 2016). ANYWAY, it is pricey. We had one drink each (each drink cost $18) and some light food and while the food was tasty, the service was lacking. After our food and drinks were delivered after an excessive wait, that was the last we saw of our waiter. The deck bar/restaurant was SO packed and with so many small children running around, it was far from relaxing or even enjoyable. But it is more that the hotel advertises itself as being a "seaside hideaway" with "breathtaking views" (these are all words from their website) that struck us as being a bit disingenuous. It's far from a "hideaway" since the beach is the town beach and there is a steady flow of cars passing by. The bars and restaurant (and hotel itself) is right on the road-look at the website photos to understand that you are not staying (or eating) in some quiet location on any particularly exceptional beach. The beach is long but narrow-the photos on the website must have been taken at low tide since it was and always has been a....narrow beach on the Long Island Sound with views of the north fork of Long Island. Just be aware of this before you book a stay or even eat here because you are paying a LOT for not much (except the name associated with the group of hotels owned by a man with a fancy French name).

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank LWD01915
Reviewed 13 October 2015

Nice hotel, nice restaurant. The rooms are a tiny bit dated compared to the "trendiness" of the place but the location and the vibe is still great.
It's a bit of a scene, no random dressers there.
Very French, every time we go there for lunch or dinner, the waiters and at least half of the customers speak French.
The location (right on the beach) is ideal for families with little kids (like us), and staying at the hotel also solves the parking issue - although we've discovered a few breath taking public beaches with barely anyone...
For us, the contrast complete-nature/hyper-civilized-hotel is kind of fun.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2015

Yes, there are a lot of negative reviews about price and service, but my boyfriend and I went anyway and we are glad we did. You can't beat the sunset and the service and the food was great in our experience. It is pricey, even for NYC standards, but not so outrageous given what you pay in the City. It's worth the splurge if you are in the area.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2015 via mobile

I love Sunset Beach. I love the casual, chic atmosphere. You feel as though you are in Europe after a fun ferry ride and winding road. My favorite is the top deck where you have the most beautiful view of sunset and boats. I love that children can play on the beach and you can grab a bite. Our server was French and had a happy nature. He made great suggestions and tried to provide us with every whim, I had mussels and fried artichokes.both were good. I had the fresh local peaches for dessert and that was just delicious and the perfect ending. My friend had the tuna tartar. The steak at the next table looked absolutely delicious. It was a beautiful evening. We could hear each other and speak in normal voices. What a relief. Relaxing and fun, nice attractive people of all ages. The busing of tables was truly impressive! Never a lingering dirty dish and yet perfectly timed and not intrusive. Very impressive. The food keeps getting better and the place and view cannot be beat. This is my version of the Hamptons. A wonderful evening. Not too crowded during the week- several different dining areas. Excellent staff.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends