“Fabulous Sunsets”
Review of Sunset Beach

Sunset Beach
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Shelter Island
Reviewed 23 July 2015

This is a comfortable beachside hotel in a lovely peaceful location. The staff were very friendly, efficient and generally glamorous.
The restaurant served simple, fresh, well cooked food with good choices.
However, there were no alternatives to the hotel restaurant nearby and the prices for breakfast and lunch were expensive.
If you don't have a car you are locked into the hotel restaurant. (Most guests do have a car but we didn't)

The outside bar area played great music with seating around a central fire in the evenings. Very comfortable and relaxing

The rooms had balconies overlooking the sea and were simple, clean and comfortable but we were surprised that there was no complimentary bottle of water on arrival.
We experienced some noise from the room above because the floors were hardwood.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor if you are okay with 2 flights of stairs - better view and no noise from above.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 July 2015 via mobile

Wow people watching at its best !
And
The food was amazing !
They had no trouble serving Happy Birthday party of 50 friends at prime time !
A good place to get sand on your feet and have a great time.
Thank you Glen and Jenifer.
Xoxo xoxo ............ ......... ........

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

Came to a Sunset Beach on a recommendation from a friend who loves it. Overall Sunset is a fun, warm, chic little hotel. The staff are extremely helpful and kind, the crowd in the hotel is fun and outgoing! The views from the hotel and beach are spectacular. We enjoyed just hanging out and watching the people. The rooms are basic and clean. Would recommend.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2015 via mobile

It is impossible for me to understand previous reviews of Sunset Beach, quite simply we have had the amazing start to our honeymoon here.

I was nervous upon booking having read various reviews and came with trepidation. I couldn't be more delighted to say how wrong they are. Everything about this place is simply fantastic.

It is beautifully styled, spotlessly clean and everything is done here with a smile. The staff are to me it's greatest asset and really do the hotel and restaurant credit.

We spent two nights here on a road trip honeymoon and then went to another hotel in The Hampton's. Upon reaching it we turned around and came straight back here! And we're warmly received back AND given a room upgrade. Amazing. We will be sad to leave but will be back 100%.

Sure it is a bit pricey (but this is the Hampton's). Sure it may have the odd celebrity here (but this is the Hampton's) Sure it may get busy on a weekend (but this is the Hampton's!!) But if you want to stay at a gorgeous hotel, with great food, service and the most incredible sunset you have ever seen...this is the place. Trust me.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jesshope1
Reviewed 25 March 2015

My friend and I thought this would be a great getaway weekend from Manhattan. First--the property is fun---think trendified, upscale motel. The landscaping is lovely, but the rooms are pretty bare bones/low end. It's all about location, location, location. It's right across from the beach. They have a fun open air restaurant with cool music and vibe.

Unfortunately the wknd I went was very rainy, so I did not get to bike, hike and kayak Shelter Island like I was hoping. However, we did walk down the road to the Itzhak Perlman camp and in a big white tent under a torrential downpour we were treated to a concert by incredibly talented children playing violin, viola and cello. They were AMAZING and it was a great experience.

The next day in the afternoon it cleared up a bit so I sat outside at the restaurant. I noticed a little piece of black gravel on my calf and flicked it off. Soon after I noticed a peculiar rash...but no worries...in an hour or so it was gone. Even though I didn't get to do much I had an enjoyable weekend.

Soon after returning home I started to be unwell. I was besieged by a profound fatigue. It was all I could do to get through the work day and then go home to collapse. I started sleeping all weekend as well. Month after month I deteriorated. I kept going back to my PCP asking for a thyroid test...a hormone test...a mono test. He eventually presumed I was a hypochondriac and was dismissive of me. This continued over a year and I just kept getting worse...joint pain...limb numbness...memory loss...heart palpitations. This former hot yoga, Zumba, and CrossFit enthusiast was now a shell of a person...the walking dead. Finally a year and a half later after visiting Shelter Island I collapsed after work and was taken to the ER.

It turns out that little piece of gravel on my calf was a deer tick...that rash was the bullseye rash...and I had advanced Lyme disease. I had to go on one month of very strong medication and I'm still inching my was back to normalcy. As I told my story to others...I was shocked to learn that in my small group alone....my neighbor and her whole family (including her 2 year old), my former co-worker and my friend's boyfriend ALL contracted Lyme disease on Shelter Island!! I was even more outraged when I found out the ENTIRE Island knows about the deer tick problem. It's common knowledge to them...YET they do NOTHING to alert unsuspecting visitors. I'm from the city...I know about subway rats and $20 martinis...I knew nothing about deer ticks and the disease they carry.

There was NO poster or brochure in the Ferry Terminal or on the ferry...NO flyer, warning or note at the Sunset Beach Hotel....NOTHING. They know the ground is teeming with these ticks yet take no measure to warn visitors. MAKE NO MISTAKE...this is not a little cold...this is a DEADLY disease that can ruin your health and finances. IT CAN KILL YOU. Don't you think that warrants some kind of notice??? If they had a ..."what to watch for brochure" I would have identified the tick and rash right away and gone straight to the doctor that very next day. I would not have lost 1.5 years of my life and over 10K dollars!!

I say SHAME ON YOU--to SHELTER ISLAND and proprietors. You have an OBLIGATION to warn visitors about this. I hope that someone will read this and do the right thing. How many lives have to be ruined visiting Shelter Island before you take this responsibility seriously?

I was in airport security last month and there was a big sign warning of Chikungunya mosquito virus in the Caribbean....sure...but no one warns you what's in your own back yard.

If this review can help one person identify or avoid this awful disease, I feel I will have done a good thing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3.1 km away
Harborfront Inn at Greenport
32 km away
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa

Been to Sunset Beach? Share your experiences!