“Not what it used to be”
Review of Starway Cafe

Starway Cafe
Ranked #37 of 79 Restaurants in Saugerties
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

We spend April-October at a campsite in Saugerties so this used to be our " go to " place when we wanted a quick bite to eat.

Like I said, used to.

The last couple of times we came service wasn't as good as it used to be and on quite a few occasions, there were upcharges added to the bill

Most recently, I asked for a 2 egg (instead of 3 eggs ) omelette and rather than adjust the bill, my husband asked if the 3rd egg could just be added to his order. The price for my omelette didn't change and my husband was charged for another egg. He asked for extra gravy with the meal and was charged an additional 2.50. His 10.95 meal ended up costing us $15+ dollars. Order was supposed to come with a biscuit - no biscuit. If you get something to go, the owner charges for the to go container. While I blame management for the prices, the waitress we had was not very attentive.

Another time I ordered bagel and lox - salmon looked old and there was barely enough on there to even cover the bagel. Have ordered a large OJ and it came in a small glass.

Don't get me wrong, if I order extra food I expect to pay for it. But when you keep adding for every little extra and your service is going downhill then it's time to find a new place

No, I didn't bother complaining about the last bill since this seems to be a recurring theme. We will just eat elsewhere.

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

Had the steak sandwich with garlic roll. Side was HOMEMADE mac salad. My choice. Ate here a few times never a issue.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

The owner, John acted like an absolute CREEP. He was very rude to our party and so were his waitstaff. The food was greasy, undercooked, and tainted with a rotten smell.
BE WARNED, they're as bad as the diner experience gets.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Although both this establishment and Pizza Star are in the same building they are far from being similar. Stairway has tables with chairs and has some decor to give it some ambiance. Ate here while visiting my parents and they wanted a sit down meal with us kids. My parents had the Pot Roast which had a huge amount of Pot Roast on the plate. The rest of us had Italian dinners which were excellent. We had the Garlic Knots as an appetizer and everyone really liked them. Would definately eat here again.

Reviewed 17 April 2017

Stopped in when we were in Saugerties. Wanted a place, not too expensive, with variety for a vegetarian, pescatarian and me (an equal opportunity eater but on Weight Watchers)

The service was fast and friendly. Typical diner menu with a wide choice of items. The vegetarian had a Belgian waffle, with side of curly fries. My pescatarian had fried flounder dinner, and I had an egg substitute farmers omelet with rye toast.

Everything was fresh tasting, and delicious. The wonderful server even talked my wife into this decadent chocolate dessert that we took home.

Again, you pretty much can't go wrong here