“Great lunch; Stay for the wine tasting...”

Thirsty Owl Wine Bar and Bistro
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Went here Sunday January 14th; just my wife and for lunch...excellent meal; service; ambiance...just a nice date out. Started with some soup (it's cold out!), I opted for the chicken with vegetable (very good; no seasoning required!!!) and my spouse had the chicken chowder w/ sweet potato (something like that, it was so good we took some home with us!). Our waitress (this is where I apologize to all I ALWAYS like to acknowledge awesome service...the two ladies who served my spouse and I were simply great, and I am at a loss to their names...it'll come to me once this posts...they really went above and beyond)...anyway our waitress warned me I'd like my spouse's soup better....grrrr she was right! Not that mine was bad; hers was better.
Onto the entrees, I had macaroni and cheese w/crab; my spouse had a panini w/ goat cheese, fig, and prosciutto....the Mac and cheese was yummy, creamy and nice crab flavor, the panini had a nice balance of sweet, salt, and savory. It was served w/truffle oil coated French fries. Everything was just, well, delicious.
After lunch we moved to the bar for the wine tasting. While I won't go over all the wines (that would take way too long!!), we wound up going home with 6 bottles! So if you enjoy wine, you need to put the Thirsty Owl on your list.

To summarize, my wife put it best..."I've never felt more welcome at a restaurant."

We can't wait to go back, and have made reservations for the wine pairing dinner in February. Don't miss this place!!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Amazing food, great and friendly service, wonderful wine
Will definitely go again. Went for New Year’s Eve and had a great dinner at very reasonable prices

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

What an attractive atmosphere. I loved the feel of every room. Light paint with wood- crisp, classy clean.

It wasn’t crowded so talking was easy. Service was very good. Friendly staff.

Seafood chowder was good. I’d do it again.

The Caesar salad was a total failure. Picture a big glop of drowned in mayonnaise, greens with basic croutons. Too bad.

Other people in the party had other salads that looked wonderful so I wouldn’t hesitate to order those.

Presentation of the food was good. Really a lot of good qualities to this place.
Since it is a winery, the Chardonnay was delightful. I’d do that again, too.

It’s hard to rate a place “very good” when your dish is a failure but because the majority of the experience was above average I’m going with that.

The parking lot is small but Street parking is available. leave time to walk a short distance.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

Rather than our normal go-to places in Saratoga, we stopped into Thirsty Owl to eat, having been there once before for a tasting. The atmosphere is fun; we chose to stay in the bar area to enjoy the live music. On the recommendation of our server, we had the burger which was prepared perfectly and served with veggies, delicious sauce and fabulous fries. That and a glass of their excellent wines certainly did the trick! Service was great and the people welcoming. Recommended.

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

Ordered a carry out Thanksgiving dinner from them, while I was working in Saratoga Springs. When we arrived to pick up the dinners, we weren't given the Turkeys! Okay, mistakes happen I get home that but it gets worse. We ordered two meals, so we received two turkeys. We got home, started to cut into one of the turkeys and it the meat on the breast was rae with red juice coming out as well. We had to put that in the oven to cook some more. We were thinking no biggy, we will cut the other one up. We didn't have much time to complain because we were making plates for the homeless people and we're going to take them around town before we ate our dinner. Well, we go to cut into the other Turkey and low and behold, red juice and undercooked meat!!! So I called the restaurant and I get "Josh" who I believe is the owner. I go to explain to him my situation and he's talking to his child. My family asked me a question during this time so I answered them. Josh thought I was talking to him and SNAPS at me for him talking to his kid, during a conversation with a customer!!! and I quote"I WAS TALKING TO MU 7YR OLD SON, DO YOU MIND?!?! What's up with that!?!? (of course I mind, I'm the customer, kindly tell your child he has to wait your on with a customer who paid almost $300 for a meal she can't eat!!!)Thens to argue with me about the turkeys, insisting that they were fully cooked and that I must have "hit a bone" while cutting into BOTH turkeys. Are you for real?. After a long winded conversation that was hoping nowhere and being exhausted, I finally just gave up. My cell phone died (which saved me) when he finally called back. I told my daughter"Don't worry about, don't answer, I'M DONE!!!" THANKS FOR A RUINED HOLIDAY FOR NOT ONLY MY FAMILY BUT FOR THE HOMELESS COMMUNITY OF SARATOGA SPRINGS" OH btw potatoes undercooked, beans hard, even the Apple pie was burnt and the Pumpkin Pie was still soupy (which was discovered long after our conversation) The only good item was the sweet potatoes. Thank God I made more dessert and thank Goodness Thanksgiving was about being with family. I don't think you need to be running your business Josh, if you continue to treat your customers that way!

1  Thank disabled1973