“Nice Hotel - Parking was a problem”

Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown in Rochester, NY on 9/12/17 to attend the Bob Seger concert at the Blue Cross Arena that’s just 2 blocks away. Checking in at about 6 PM was slow. Only 2 people working the counter and a couple times a check-in took about 10 minutes. During a big event at the Arena, they should have had another working the counter (they only have 3 terminals at the check-in counter). My personal check-in only took about 4 minutes.

With my $4 parking tag in hand, I entered the Holiday Inn parking area, which is all on the ground level. I followed the arrows and drove through the “covered parking area”, and past a limited number of “uncovered spaces”. I came out of the covered area right where I started. All the spaces were occupied.
So I see this large sign with an arrow saying “Additional Parking EXIT with an arrow pointing to the right. (see photo) I followed the arrow that went under the covered parking area, with no spaces, and came to the EXIT, so I turned under the covered parking area again and came out once again where I originally started. Looking again at the sign (see photo), I notice a “non-descript” open garage door entry so I entered and find myself in a parking garage beneath the sign. I entered and find a parking space quickly.

The next morning, when retrieving my car, I see a uniformed attendant patrolling the garage. I said to her “this is part of the Holiday Inn parking area, correct?”. She said no, it is a City of Rochester parking facility, called Genesee Crossroads Garage. I told her I didn’t know that. She said, if you have a Holiday Inn parking tag, present it at the EXIT and I won’t have to pay the normal fee, which I think she said would be $10. She said that during “large events” Holiday Inn and the City Garage have an agreement to use the Garage (which has 4 levels; ground level and 3 levels underground) for its hotel guest parking. I didn’t ask, but I surmise that when there isn’t a large event, the “non-descript” garage door is probably closed as the overflow parking would not be necessary. She had pointed out the normal Garage entry that was down at the end of the garage at Corinthian Street. (The Exit is at the other end, on to Andrews Street, which is also an entry to the Genesee Crossroads Garage.) Do an internet search for: City of Rochester Parking to locate their website.

The Check-In staff at the Holiday Inn should advise its guests when the “non-descript” entry to the City’s parking garage can be used. This would prevent guests from parking on the sidewalk like I saw when I returned later in the evening.
Other than the Parking situation, I was very pleased with my room and the hotel common areas. The room was clean and nicely appointed, with plenty of hot water, and mini fridge. However, the free Wi-Fi did not work in my room (Room 583). They had given me the Wi-Fi password when I registered, but my phone said “No Internet Connection” for the Holiday Inn Wi-Fi.

I will stay there again, if the price if favorable.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

Older renovated large hotel. On site parking at a reasonable rate. Room was spacious, spotless, and well appointed. We were there one night for a concert at the Blue Cross Arena which was 2 blocks away. Perfect.....but do not stay on the 4th floor ( their ground floor) if you don't like barking dog. And fellow concert goers like to party into the AM. Keep that in mind and you'll have a great stay.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel is nothing to brag about but it's perfectly fine. It's clean enough and the staff is friendly/helpful enough. The best part about this hotel is the bar staff. Monica is a gem. The continental breakfast will give you diabetes if you stay long enough. Just think white bread, lots of it. The gym is pretty decent for a hotel gym. Great location for walking places. And the shuttle is free (excluding tip) to and from the airport which is a great plus. I would stay here again on business.

1  Thank FluteontheGo
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I'm a flight crew member on a work overnight and have stayed at this hotel at least once before. It is one of my favorites!
PROs:
1. Van Driver! Ahmet is an extremely friendly, energetic, outgoing and helpful man...and quite entertaining! He made repeated offers to take us to local eateries or wherever we needed to go. We elected to walk to dinner but when we passed him in the lobby later (in civilian clothes) he remembered us and reminded us he'd take us anywhere, just ask. Very friendly guy and a real asset to this hotel.
2. Rooms are clean and meet the Holiday Inn standard.
3. Fridge in room with small freezer section.
4. Coffee and pastries available in lobby in morning.
5. Excellent fitness room (24 hours) with 2 modern treadmills, 2 modern ellpitical machines, a bike and some older but satisfactory free weights. The room also has ample room to use these free weights, do yoga, etc.
6. Oustanding location in downtown Rochester with easy access to restaurants and things to see.

CONs: None to report

1  Thank Ron M
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed Wednesday- Friday for a math conference. I am generally quite happy with Holiday Inns. All the ones I've stayed in have been updated nicely. I cannot comment on the cost since I was not footing the bill.

Pros: The staff that worked at the Holiday Inn were wonderful. The front desk, the breakfast buffet and the housekeeping were all great!! Loved that the pool was quiet...especially since my room was poolside. I was surprised there was a lifeguard for the pool as well. I also like the shower products (Bath and Body Works). The updated modern furniture and bathroom counter/floor were very nice and the Keurig!!

Cons: Although the furniture was updated...they basically just covered up a very old dilapidated hotel!! The sliding door out to the pool barely opened and closed. It's just so old and not really on a smooth track any longer. The lock on the slider was not locked when I got there and extremely difficult to lock, so my first night it wasn't. I did finally get it the next night. The doors were clearly original and showed their age. The newer carpet was already stained. The fridge had been turned off so was leaking a large amount of water when opened. The faucet in the bathroom was loose and jiggled around and the sink didn't drain. The wallpaper was peeling. The bathroom fan didn't work. The vent in the ceiling near the shower head was filled with dust. Last, we were quite disappointed when we got back to the hotel at 10:30pm (on a Thursday) that the restaurant and bar were already shut down.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member