“Great comfort food -- Dominican Style”

D'Mangu Dominican Restaurant
Ranked #236 of 1,468 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We ate here during a snowy day. Wonderful food! Yellow rice & red beans. Fried plantains. Pork stew and roast pork with crackling skin. Delicious!

1  Thank CharlieBenSam

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We enjoyed this restaurant very much. The place is clean and friendly. I shared a dish with my daughter. She is a picky eater and I anticipated she wasn't going to like anything, but she actually tried almost everything we ordered. She loved the yucca fried, Spanish sausage and the fried chicken. She actually told me that she prefers the yucca fries over regular French fries. My husband ordered fried pork chops, which he said were good but dry. Of course I don't think I have ever had moist pork when it's fried. He said it was tasty, but dry. He would not order this again, bit still loved the appetizers we ordered. At the conclusion of our meal, he ordered a flancake, which was half cake and half flan. Who knew the two could be baked together. I had to roll my hubby out of the restaurant. LOL! The only thing they are missing is some soft Caribbean music to enjoy while eating. BTW: they did have a TV turned on to Nick, which kept my daughter entertained the while time. I think this is a big plus and wish more family friendly restaurants did the same thing.

1  Thank AviMom2
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Interesting food with very helpful staff, clean and relaxed place.

1  Thank DRL-555
Reviewed 27 October 2011

This was a wonderful find. The restaurant opened recently and we wanted to check it out. We went once in August and returned this week with friends. I predict they will do very well.

The food is very traditional Carribean fare done consistently well. They have a menu but during the week serve a buffet. The buffet has a half a dozen meat options ranging from a very good roast pork to goat. The plates come in three sizes for $5, $7, and $9. All in our party got the medium plate which includes your choice of white or yellow rice (I'd recommend yellow), a green salad, choice of sweet fried plantain or mangu (a mashed plantain with some seasoning in it) and a choice of one meat. I got the roasted pork and loved it, my Puerto Rican friend had stewed pork and said he's definitely coming back. On our first trip I also had the stewed chicken. The chicken is pleasantly spicy but I like spicy, however, be careful of the small bones. It's prepared in a very traditional island style where the whole chicken is chopped up with a cleaver. It was delicious though. Another highlight is their house prepared hot sauce, I used a lot of it on my rice and pork.

The staff is very friendly. This is a great lunch place and a wonderful alternative to boring chain restaurants.

5  Thank Diner_Mike