“Prime location for an excellent prime rib”

The Tavern at the Beekman Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Tavern at the Beekman Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 59 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to our restaurant with its Colonial Tap Room featuring overhead beams, open hearth fireplace, and a charming bar. Our restaurant serves lunch and dinner seven days a week year round and Brunch on Sundays. Dining is in several separate dining rooms and a garden greenhouse. We also cater to banquet, wedding and private parties.
Reviewed 9 July 2017

We indulged ourselves into a king and queen prime rib which was cooked to perfection. For a salt lover like me it was perfect but for others it could be a little too salty, however this was cooked to perfection. The location was established in 1776 and has all the trappings of that era. This is a very special place with a terrific wait staff and a great stop for anyone wanting a good meal.

Reviewed 7 July 2017

I was looking forward to eating here. I had eaten here a few years ago and I did like it.
This time I ordered a few things and only received ONE item of my order. For some reason this waitress who spoke very little English decided I should only get one item. I wanted to talk to management because this was absolutely not ok with me. She was not available. I talked to several waitresses and no one cared.
Finally one of the very non-interested waitresses came who was not my original waitress said "if you would like we can give you a free meal or you can leave your phone number for someone to call you". Are you kidding me? Why would I pay for a partial meal? Why would I leave my phone number.?
The original waitress never apologized. I would NEVER go back here. THEY need to listen and they need to learn CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!
On top of all of it the food was mediocre, like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for hour, the green beans were overcooked with tons of greasy butter and the salmon tasted old. ewwwwwwwwwww!

1  Thank travelagogo2016
Reviewed 1 July 2017

I had made reservations about 6 weeks prior and we arrived on time for our 5 PM reservation. We waited at the restaurant podium which is a few feet from the Hotel podium which was manned. After about a 8 minute wait in which no one appeared we were seated in the enclosed outdoor area. After a few minutes our waiter Jimmy arrived . He immediately informed us that we could not any specials as it was now 5PM. I informed him that it was 5PM already and he then corrected the time to 5:30 PM . Oh I forgot when we were first seated we were handed 2 food menus and a wine list inside binders. Upon opening the wine binder it was found to be empty. While awaiting our waiter I removed myself and found someone and advised it was empty. After a few minutes we received a wine list. Not really a big deal but an indication of what was to come. Getting back to the specials after my wife and I ordered a drink we discussed the special policy and thought it absurd. First of all if a restaurant is open for dinner at 5 then why would any offered specials be available. In addition as we pointed out to our waiter if we were having appetizers first it would be well past 5:30 to be able to decide on the specials. He then agreed and came back with that nights specials . Pretty strange. Anyway the appys came out and were brought out by another waiter named Bennet who had replaced Jimmy. No biggie but again strange. Upon perusing the wine list we generally order by glass as I am predominately a red wife is white drinker. But we both like champagne and I noticed a Domaine Chandon from California for $40.00 and decided on that . Appys were terrific both crab cakes and sweet and spicy shrimp excellent. We had long finished our drinks and were wondering where was the champagne . Anyway our plates were removed and my silverware was not replaced . I didn't realize this until entrees arrived . I waited almost 5 minutes for someone to come out and them used the silverware at adjacent table as food was getting cold. The champagne then arrived and to our surprise it was a half bottle. This was poured out in 2 full glasses . I was surprised at this as did not remember it saying half bottle. My trout came out good but a little dry and my wife's prime rib came out medium well done despite her stating rare. She was disappointed to say the least. I ended up eating most of the prime and she had half my fish . During the meal I asked for the wine menu back so we could order a glass of wine each when I noticed that I did indeed order a full bottle at and not a half which is also on the menu at $30.00. The reason I felt waiter should have known this was that there were 2 full bottle choices one a Brut and other Riche . I had asked the waiter what was Riche and he didn't know but came back later and stated extra dry so I said then we will stick with brut. I then got up in the middle of meal and approached the podium and explained the situation. After about 10 minutes the waiter came out and asked if Chris ( the Manager) had spoken with us and I said no. He then came out and asked if we wanted a glass and we said no we would like another half bottle that would then equal the full bottle. The waiter informed us that he had correctly put in the correct champagne order but it got messed up. Uh OK...The deserts were on spot very good and when I received bill we laughed as it stated that we ordered 2 half bottles totaling $60.00 and the we were compensated $20.00 Maybe the system dictated this but it was not a compensation but reflected what we had ordered but was messed up. Also if the order was correctly placed as waiter stated why wasn't the full bottle reflected on bill. The final crazy thing was upon leaving my wife realized that she had left umbrella on seat . She was inside longer than normal and she told me the waiter had given her umbrella to the woman at table next to us who lied and said it was hers. Instead of waiter contacting the customer my wife was told that's her and she had to confront the thief as it was a blue uncommon umbrella one that she knew wasn't hers. So bottom line is food (not entree's) being very good but difficult service night inattentive and sloppy and a Manager who frankly did not step up to plate knowing that when you spend over $200 you expect more from the establishment. You would have thought he would have offered us a after dinner drink or something. We tipped the full 20% and are truly not normally picky . We purposely did not say anything about the Prime Rib on purpose and we wanted to just finish as we had a event to attend. So in reality food was 3 to 4 service was 1 to 2

3  Thank seamac
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

We met friends for lunch in Rhinebeck, equidistant between our homes.
After reading the many reviews I chose the tavern at The Beekman Arms and what a good choice it was.
We sat in the atrium room with its lovely view of the inn's beautiful shrubbery.
Our server,Chelsea, was attentive and accommodating and did not rush our leisurely lunch.
We sampled three different soups - crab corn chowder, gazpacho and French onion. All were delicious. Entrees were salads and sandwiches - all good.
The ambience is lovely and the prices very reasonable.
We would become regulars if it was closer.

Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

Love eating at the tavern. Food is excellent. Tavern is a step back in time. The Beekman Arms is a very old inn. Great place to stay.