“Superb food and beautiful atmosphere”
Review of The Amsterdam

The Amsterdam
Ranked #15 of 59 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Price range: US$25 - US$40
Description: The Amsterdam is Rhinebeck's newest restaurant, serving modern farm-to-table fare by Chef Alex Burger, inside a restored Dutch townhouse. "The establishment fits seamlessly into the Hudson Valley food scene, honoring the foods, ingredients, and traditions of our area, while offering something unique to diners who care about quality food prepared and served with care," says Rural Intelligence.
Reviewed 31 August 2017

I have been to The Amsterdam 3 times this summer. It is a perfect addition to my other favorite restaurants in Rhinebeck -- Local and Market. The food is truly superb...some of the best I have ever eaten all around the world. I had the Mushroom and egg for an appetizer and the buttery sauce is to die for. My guest ordered the hamburger and said it was the best hamburger he had ever eaten. I had the scallops special, and I appreciated that the server said there were 5 scallops...no surprises. The corn and cherry tomato sauce underneath the scallops was excellent. Only negative -- when it is crowded the noise level is very high and it is hard to hear your guests. They need to add more buffering for the sound. We ate in The Patio in back once, which was so fun and beautiful and less noisy, but the service wasn't as prompt back there. All in all, a terrific if pricey place.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We have had dinner at The Amsterdam in Rhinebeck a few times now. The atmosphere is vibrant, they did a great job decorating the place, the staff is very helpful and friendly. Still this restaurant is not going to be added to our list of favorite restauants. Main reason is that price and quality are not balanced. $19 for a not so special burger isn't cheap and paying $5 extra to add bacon just doesn't feel right. Fish and chips ($23) you better get at a food truck. The only red meat goes for $38. For these prices you'd expect something really good, which it it is just not. The consistency of cooking needs improvement too. Two of us ordered duck breast medium rare, one came out as ordered and the other was overcooked.
With eight people in the kitchen the restaurant should be able to do better. The wines are kind of expensive.
We hope The Amsterdam will find it's balance over time.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

My wife and I visit the Rhinebeck area on a regular basis and we were thrilled to discover Amsterdam’s on our most recent trip, based on the recommendation of our host at our bed and breakfast. Amsterdam’s features an eclectic and inventive menu that isn’t intimidating. We started out with a special salad that featured melon and blueberries over greens and finished with a champagne dressing. All the flavors came together for a great start to our dinner. For and entree I had a grilled pork chop that was one of the best I’d ever had. But it was my wife’s dish that stole the show, the kamut berries with spring vegetables. Kamut are wheat berries which were served with perfectly cook vegetables. We thought this dish was so good, in fact, that we asked for the recipe and the staff very kindly accommodated us. For dessert we had their special of the night which was a peach bread pudding with homemade ginger ice cream. It was as good as that sounds. Like their menu the wine list is equally as creative, featuring many different wines and producers from both New York and the more widely recognized wine regions. We had a bottle of Cabernet Franc from the Finger Lakes region that was quite good. To round out a wonderful dining experience was a professional and attentive staff. Even though the restaurant has a very casual and laid back vibe the staff performed like they were at a white tablecloth establishment in midtown Manhattan. Don’t let the flannel shirts, jeans, and high top sneakers fool you, this is a great staff that knows how to deliver a great dining experience. Make a point of trying this restaurant if you find yourself in Rhinebeck, you won’t be disappointed.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

Three of us for dinner all with different tastes. All were accommodated just fine. Our waiter made suggestions and we accepted. Everyone was happy especially as we made a few substitutions. And, it's a lovely restaurant. My fish was perfectly prepared. No complaints for the other dishes.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

What's not to like? Stylish but informal and comfortable setting with outdoor seating. Charcuterie. Great bar. Nice wine list. Great charcuterie. Classic bistro style dishes. Did I mention great charcuterie? If you were a fan of Red Devon, and Chef Sarah Lukasiewicz, now you know the reason for the great charcuterie. She's in the kitchen. Hard to stand out in a town full of nice eateries, but they do. Give it a try.