See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 April 2017

Our family of three enjoyed our night spent at the Grand Duchess. We stayed in Carol's Suite, which features a good-sized sitting room with a large fold-out couch bed, a side room with a bed, and a modest bathroom (the bathroom and bedroom are on either side of the living room). It is on the third floor, which features a spacious and inviting hallway-lounge space, with snacks and coffee station.

We had a lovely breakfast the next morning, in a beautifully appointed dining room. The whole house is a treasure trove of Victorian bric-a-brac, very atmospheric and historic-feeling, but also homey and inviting. We practically had it to ourselves, due to the time of year. Also, a big plus is that it is located a short and easy walk right into the town of Red Hook, where we enjoyed visiting the Enchanted Cafe, and dinner at Cancun's.

Room Tip: Carol's suite is nice if you are a couple traveling with a teenager.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2016

My daughter and I happened upon this B & B based upon a recommendation of another B & B owner whom I contacted for a room without availability. Beth and Harold the owners, were kind enough to allow us to book a room for 2 nights, and I say this because most B & B's I've stayed at do not permit children under the age of 12, and for good reason! My daughter is 2 1/2 , and it was such a gift to be able to stay in a place where we felt safe, were well fed, and were close to the wedding venue. We stayed in Loretta's Lounge, a second floor room with queen sized bed on the front of the house facing the street. The sheets were super soft, the pillows perfect and the water pressure excellent. Breakfast and coffee (yay!) were available starting at 9, which was perfect for us. They have a large back yard, and the home is located within walking distance of the downtown area, which was great. Fresh fruit was offered both mornings, and there was cereal/granola if you weren't interested in what was being served for breakfast. I have to admit the breakfast both mornings was good! Veggie egg scramble with potatoes and sausage Saturday morning, and pancakes and bacon Sunday. They even went out of their way to make my daughter's breakfast plate special each morning, an egg mountain Saturday with a sausage volcano, and Sunday, mini chocolate chips on her pancakes. A really sweet touch that this momma appreciated. It's very close to Bard College the Tivoli Wildlife Management Area. If we had more time I would have liked to hit some of the distilleries and wineries in the area. Next time we come up! I would recommend this B & B and would stay there again.

Stayed: June 2016
Reviewed 8 June 2016

Judging by the negative reviews of a couple years ago, the Dutchess must have encountered some sort of rough weather; but she's sailed on through in fine fashion. Beautifully repainted outside,spotlessly clean inside, neat, good bedding, really fluffy towels, air conditioners in and functioning just fine, and very good cooked breakfast preceded by fruit course. The others at the breakfast table were returning visitors, always a good sign.
As is usual for Victorian mansions, all horizontal surfaces are covered with collected artifacts, but these are virtually museum pieces, not kitsch, and repay close examination. The furniture collections are unique and show Victorian mentality and craftsmanship to good advantage. I may yet be converted!
The owners/hosts – she the sun, he the moon – would seem to deserve applause for a turn-around. And this may be an example of Trip Advisor reviews actually having a salutary effect. It would be equally nice if some of the critics took a second look.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2016 via mobile

I highly recommend the Grand Dutchess Bed and Breakfast in Red Hook. My wife and I were visiting our son at nearby Bard College. We were greeted warmly by the proprietor, Beth and shown to our room, Patrice's Parlor, a lovely space on the third floor. Plenty of authentic antiques filled (but did not clutter) the downstairs rooms. The dining room was lovely and breakfast was served promptly and was delicious. Avoid the Kingston chain hotels and enjoy the quaintness of Dutchess County.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Richard M
Reviewed 30 September 2015

We stayed at GDI while attending a healing retreat at nearby Omega Institute. We got lost coming down from VT, but Harold talked us patiently in through the last 20 miles like an ATC. Our room was spacious, spotless, and beautifully appointed with items from the Victorian Age (the inn was built in 1874).
In ten minutes, we felt as though we had known Harold and Beth ten years. They are that rarest of breed, innkeepers who keep on keeping for many years (20, in their case) because they love people and hosting.Beth's breakfasts (French Toast and sausage; scrambled eggs, veggies, and bacon) were sumptuous. One night when we got back from OI late, we got takeout from Rusty's nearby and dined high on the hog in the beautiful dining room.
Here's a huge plus: in most of the inns we've stayed with, we could hear everything everyone else was doing all night long. At ODI, somehow, silence prevailed. Perhaps it was because they built walls, back in those days, to be real walls.
On our last day, because I had an injured shoulder, Harold carried both our suitcases (60 lbs each at least) down from the third floor to our car. That should tell you something about these folks and their lovely, historic, charming, peaceful, welcoming inn.
Oh--the inn could be a fine museum, so packed is it with amenities, relics, and examplars of the Victorian Age. Browse the North Parlor in particular--you could spend days in that room alone with the books, paintings, furnishings, antiques, and more.
Does it sound like we'll be back? Soon? Count on it!

Room Tip: Ask for Patrice's Parlor on the 3rd floor. Quiet, with breezes through the windows, and a luxurious four poster bed.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family