“Great Family Run Place”

Ranked #152 of 307 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I've been to the Saigon Cafe several times over the past few years and have always had a good experience. It is run by a Vietnamese couple on their own and the food is excellent and always tastes fresh. The owner is always very friendly and talkative and now recognizes me when I come in which is nice. He is always courteous enough to ask how we want our dishes seasoned (spicy or mild) which my girlfriend appreciated since she doesn't enjoy spicy dishes. I took my family there for lunch one time a couple years ago including my 100 year old grandmother and the owners treated her like royalty and were very respectful which she greatly appreciated. Overall the food is always great and the atmosphere is friendly and welcoming, just be prepared to wait a little bit as it is only the two of them working there.

1  Thank Berto1019

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I've been going to Saigon Cafe for over 20 years and have introduced scores of friends to this "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant. The owners are the nicest people and the food is very good. Have never had a bad dish here. It's not gourmet but yummy nonetheless. I love their Happy Pancake. If you're looking for fancy or great atmosphere this is not the place for you. But if you want good Vietnamese food at reasonable prices cooked and served lovingly by the owners, then head to Saigon Cafe.

Reviewed 13 December 2012

I feel bad leaving this review as my husband and I have been loyal customers for many years. The owners must be struggling because not only has the food quality deteriorated significantly, but the owner has now taken to adding extra food to your order and charging for it. I know I am not the only one this has happened to, as several friends have experienced it as well. Typically he throws in extra rolls which he charges almost $4 apiece for. Last night I picked up an order for a friend that she had placed for both of us and thought the total seemed high but assumed she had ordered an extra meal for her kids. In fact, we had been charged $16 for four Imperial Rolls that Tony acted as though he was generously throwing in for us, but in fact had added to the bill. He did not show me the receipt when I picked up the order and so I was not able to figure this out until I had already left and we had eaten our meals, with four uneaten Imperial rolls left over. Tony also has the habit of requesting you leave a tip when picking up takeout, and giving you a hard time if you want to use your credit card to pay, despite a large sign indicating he accepts Visa, Mastercard, etc. If the food was still as good as it used to be I might be more forgiving, but it just isn't anymore, at least on the nights during the week when I've eaten there or gotten takeout. I will not be returning.

3  Thank em-reader
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Was an authentic, reliable Viet cafe - with great Vienamese pancakes. An old stand-by that's gone the way of so many marginal (economically) places.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

We eat at this restaurant several times a year. My teenage son loves the Steamed Imperial Rolls (served with a peanut dipping sauce) and the Lime Chicken (served on wooden spears). I enjoy the Hanoi Soup (beef, over thin noodles), and my husband the Chicken Nest (chicken with noodles and mixed vegetables). If you are new to Vietnamese cuisine or in doubt with what to order, the server is the owner and he is always willing to help you with your selections. The place is small, only 19 seats, but we have always found the food to be delicious.