All reviewsattached garagewedding venuecocktail hourhudson riverwalking bridgelobby barson's weddingshuttle busbuffet styledecent sizestayed two nightspoughkeepsie areagrandviewmaureenthermostatwalkway
Reviewed 3 May 2016 via mobile

We attended a fancy dinner at the hotel's sister property, the Grandview. Took advantage of the group discount rate and booked a king room. Frankly, we weren't expecting much, based on some of the Trip Advisor reviews...but we were very pleasantly surprised. Parking is free in the attached garage. Shuttle available as it does its continuous loop...hotel to Grandview and back. Pleasant driver. We didn't have a Hudson River view but we have one from our home (25 miles away from Poughkeepsie) so it wasn't an issue. But if you want river view request a high floor facing West. Our room was spacious, well appointed, and most important...CLEAN! The bed was very comfortable. There was a microwave, small refrigerator, and safe. Everything was in working order. Front desk staff very friendly...both last night and this morning. The complimentary breakfast was outstanding! Large juice, bottomless cup of coffee, and FRESH HOT COOKED! Sausages are real....not those things at most complimentary breakfasts that taste like cardboard! Scrambled eggs done perfectly and served HOT! Spouse's cheese omelette (with choice of cheese) also cooked perfectly and HOT! I'm not a fan of home fries, but these were definitely prepared on-site (not frozen) and included onions and peppers. Spouse devoured his! Waitress was busy but very efficient. We travel a LOT (!) both in the USA and Canada as well as in Europe, and I have written literally hundreds of Trip Advisor reviews...so we had a lot to compare the Grand Hotel (and sister catering hall, Grandview) with. If we ever plan to attend another catered event at Grandview we will definitely stay at the Grand Hotel. Downtown Poughkeepsie may not be a garden dream, but for a hotel and catering hall? Top notch!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UMichAlum
Tanya R, Front Office Manager at Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2016

Thank you for your review! We are extremely excited to hear about your stay. Your comments were all very nice and most of all, we are happy you & your spouse enjoyed your time here at our hotel and the Grandview. I will pass them along to all departments. We look forward to your return with us.

Reviewed 7 April 2016 via mobile

My wife and I had to travel to Poughkeepsie for a family event. I choose the The Grand Hotel from the description online. We had previously stayed in a few of the Poughkeepsie hotel/motels. I thought that it would be a step up from the "Courtyard" or "Holiday Inn Express". I was wrong, it was a step down. We agreed that the beds were the most uncomfortable that we had ever slept(?) in. They were rock hard. The room was an inferno and we wanted to turn the heat down. We were unable to change the setting. We tried opening a window, no chance. The window was locked shut. All night long we listened to the rumble of the elevator and as a special treat we got a room next to the ice machine. The ice machine added the sound of an incoming Bell UH-1 for our sleeping pleasure.
We should have skipped the breakfast and gone elsewhere. It looked like they stocked up at 7:00am and wanted the food to last until breakfast was over at 10:00am. We went in around 8:00am. A huge container was filled to the top, about 2 gross of eggs, they were rock hard and crispy on the bottom. The bacon was stacked about ten slices high preventing it from staying warm. The sausage was presented in the same way, preventing it also from staying warm. I tried the French Toast, my mistake. It as barely dipped in egg batter. The inside was plain raw bread. It had sat so long that it had turned soggy. The potatoes were somewhat warm but not very tasty. I left most of my food on the plate. My wife told me that the bagel and and Danish she tried were stale and declined to finish them. She tried the fruit salad and thought that it tasted like it was several days old.
In all it was not a good experience. They did not meet my expectations and I will not be staying there again.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bartron53
Tanya R, Front Office Manager at Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2016

Thank you for your review! We are sorry to hear the bed was not to your specific personal preference. The GM has been made aware of your comments on the breakfast and she has addressed them with the kitchen, she takes this very seriously as we are a social/banquet hotel that prides ourselves on our food service. If we had known of your uncomfortable stay we would have done our best to rectify it while you were here. We do hope you will give us another try if ever in our area again. Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed 13 March 2016

We chose this location for a Poughkeepsie overnight while visiting Vassar with child and dog. They were accommodating though asked that the dog be crated. We had a nice room, and ordered room service, which was fine. We walked from the hotel to the Walkway Over The Hudson, which was lovely. Be warned that the directions from the hotel staff for walking to the park took us through an extremely distressed neighborhood. We had our dog and had no problems, however. The breakfast is included and is very nice. Parking is in an attached garage and complementary for guests. Good value.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Tanya R, Front Office Manager at Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2016

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay & visited The Walkway Over the Hudson. We are pleased to be a dog-friendly hotel. We hope if ever in our area, you stay with us again.

Reviewed 13 February 2016 via mobile

For a quiet town that has little to offer, I was surprised of the hotel facility. Nothing extraordinary but acceptable and nice. The restaurant has a modern touch. The food is very good and prices are quite reasonable. Staff is friendly but food service takes too long. They only offer Pepsi products. Juice options are limited. The menu is basic but attractive for the town compare to what is offered close by.

The only disappointed observation is that with yesterday's cold weather... the facility was freezing. Had to keep the coat own all day. The staff was informed but not until a wedding activity started late afternoon the heat was barely turned on... they ignored the request all day...

Imagine attending a workshop with your coat on... and eating a cold sandwich while making sure you had your soup right away before it freezes.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business

Thank you for your review! We are sorry to hear you were cold. We strive to make our guests comfortable so I apologize you feel your request was ignored. I will pass along your comments, we hope you try us again.

Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

Quiet area of poughkepsie and not far from New York and big city.Lots of things to do nearby, shopping center,resturant,small city,museum,car sales,bike sales.The breakfast in hotel is traditional us breakfast, clean place and service minded Staff.Whould stay her again next trip.Prices in middle range

Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Tanya R, Front Office Manager at Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2016

Thank you for your review! The Hudson Valley area and city of Poughkeepsie is a great place to stop & visit, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope for your return!