“Consistently good sushi”

Akari
Ranked #149 of 285 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 25 March 2015

My favorite roll is a shrimp tempura + avocado inside with spicy tuna on top and Akari's Finasa Roll is the best yet!! I love stopping by Akari or ordering delivery. Their non-sushi items are great too I recommend the Yakitori chicken skewers

Reviewed 8 January 2015

If sushi is not your thing, Akari still has a good selection of hibachi items. I usually go with family that knows good sushi and they enjoy it here. I tried some and it was fresh and flavorful. Be careful not to park in Metro-North spots during the commuting day or they will ticket you. Polite service. Give it a try.

Reviewed 9 October 2014

The worse service and food ever ! I have gone twice and both times the ruined it.
The first time the messed up the order completely, brought out the wrong order ! I complained and was only given a future credit ! That should been the by first clue but we tried it again. The same service and again screwed up the order.
The staff seems to have the inability to understand English. If your gone have people wait tables they should be able to speak and understand the customers.
The food booth times was drowned in sauce to the point i could not enjoy it. Even after requesting it be fixed came back worse !!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I wanted to recommend this little gem of a Japanese restaurant which is conveniently located right at the Metro North train station. It used to be just one room with a small sushi bar and if you walked in, you would never expect the fantastic quality of food. Of course, it got so popular, it had to expand and now has several tables and plenty of space. There is a wide variety on the menu, everything is extremely fresh and beautifully prepared. My favorites are the avocado salad and age tofu. My granddaughter introduced me to the Spiderman rolls (her favorite). The tea has that smoky, deep flavor of the best green tea. You might not find such perfect Japanese food outside of New York City. And the price is ten times more affordable.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

After reading reviews, we had high expectations for this restaurant. We were disappointed. Claiming to have never gotten sick after eating there isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, and I am not sure this is the best sushi restaurant in Poughkeepsie. Certainly isn't best in Hudson Valley. Dishes were not bad, just nothing memorable, and service was perfunctory at best. You have to be assertive and act quickly with male server, otherwise you will be served what he thinks you want. Avoid the vegetable tempura at all costs; greasiest, most unappealing tempura dish I have ever experienced.

Been to Akari? Share your experiences!