“Nice Sushi Restaurant Conveniently Located”
Review of Bonsai

Bonsai
Ranked #34 of 297 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 26 August 2015

There are two Bonsai restaurants -- one off of South Road and another in the neighboring town which is larger. I went to the smaller restaurant and was pleasantly surprised by the good quality and variety of sushi available. Sweet shrimp is one of my favorite sushi and this place had it!! (which is quite rare for a small sushi restaurant). They prepared it with great expertise (after all, raw shrimp and fried shrimp heads are not easy to prepare). To test the authenticity of a restaurant, I always order the chirashi sushi bowl/dish. The fish had good flavor and there was a rather wide variety of fish including tuna, salmon, white fish, mackerel, cooked shrimp and egg. However, I wish they had provided some furikake (seaweed) and better seasonings in the sushi rice. Also missing was interesting Japanese pickles usually provided at the best sushi restaurants in the world. Still, I would rate this restaurant as a solid one and was pleasantly surprised that there was such a solid sushi restaurant in the small town of Poughkeepsie.

Reviewed 25 June 2015

I gave bonsai a shot since it was within walking distance to my hotel. The even have a suhi happy hour which is great, my food was good, sushi was fresh (most important when it comes to shushi...)... I will go there again.

Reviewed 3 June 2015

i am not a huge sushi fan... But the hubby is, so I had to let him think he can have his way every now and then!! LOL
We shared a sushi platter. ( I do not like California roll) but everything else was surprisingly yummy!

Reviewed 23 May 2015

After several days of heavy food, we were really dying for something spicy and light. Having noticed a restaurant tucked away in a strip mall on HGWY 9, we decided to give it a try. Our expectations were not high, especially since it advertised both Japanese and Thai food.

Boy, were we wrong! The Thai green chicken curry and the Basil beef were both flavourful and packed with fresh vegetables, including asparagus, zucchini and snow peas, plus peppers and onions. The taste was just right...not overwhelmingly hot but spicy enough to satisfy every craving.

Highly recommend and can't wait to return. We did takeaway but the restaurant was full, which seemed good for a Tuesday night.

Reviewed 28 March 2015 via mobile

Our second dinner after CIA's American Bounty, only planning to order to go for our midnight snack at our nearby hotel but turned to be the best Japanese Sushi we've been looking for around Poughkeepsie. I love their teriyaki and crunchy salmon among other things, really good food.