See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This place was built in 1890 and renovated after a fire in the 1990s. The rooms are small, 1890's size I suppose, and I know that bothers some folks. Two things that might bother folks even more are the steps that must be climbed to the rooms and the music that is likely to reach the rooms from the bar downstairs. The room seemed clean to me and I didn't notice any needed repairs though I did not do a close inspection. I like old hotels, I don't mind stairs, and I actually enjoy (most) bar music. The excellent restaurant was a real plus. The Erie and I got along just fine.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Denny G
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Planned a one night stop-over on a trip to PA. While size was what we expected per previous reviews I'm not sure where the 3.5 & 4 star reviews came from. Although It wouldn't take much to get it there. I certainly had higher expectations. Check in is at the Bar. We didn't really have a problem with that. We like Bars. Our reservation was written in a book at the bar and we could only assume our credit card numbers were also. Hmmmm! The entrance to the "hotel" is a seperate door next to the bar. As stated, a small room. Bed, Dresser, Chair. By all first appearances seemed fairly clean. The window was open when we arrived with no screen. Not sure what they do when it's buggy season. The overhead fan was on with an airfreshener strip hanging from it. Room still had an odd odor. Individually wrapped cups were supplied as well as towels (not great). On further observation The score began to drop but with easily remedied issues. There was was a broken towel holder on the bathroom wall, Remove It! There was a medicine cabinet in bathroom and I was sorry I opened it as the inside of it was discusting-covered in old toothpaste. Clean it or remove it! The shower curtain was stained-Replace it! (As we were only there one night we would not use it.) When I closed the window I discovered the filth around the window. Clean it! Cob webs in corner over the bed. Vacuum them! The door had a single flimsy door knob lock on it. We wedged the chair under the door knob for added security. Add a chain or a dead bolt! I would give 2.5 stars if possible. While not quite poor it was less than average. The Restaurant, however was great and will be reviewed seperately. The town while listed (2008) as a great small artsy town it has clearly been hit by the economy. On a Sunday afternoon it was a ghost town. By our observations most of the down town stores appear to be used furnitue stores.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Packingpatty
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Was visiting my girlfriend in the Port Jervis area in November last year, and decided to give the Erie hotel a try, considering it was close to the train station and closer to the main street and shops in the area.

I arrived early in the morning, at about 11:15am, the doors to the bar area were not open at that point so i was able to sit on the perfectly placed bench outside the hotel and get a feel for the area. When the staff opened the bar i explained that my girlfriend would not be at the hotel until about 2pm that afternoon. In some hotels they can be a bit funny about stuff like that but here they were able to take payment, allow me to go up to the room and get unpacked, and what was even better, was that they brought my girlfriend up to the room when she arrived, which saved me waiting around downstairs for her.

We were only there for the 1 night, but, the room we had, although slightly on the small side was cost, comfortable, very well furnished and very clean.

We decided to check the restaurant downstairs that night as we didnt really want to go out for dinner, but it turned out to be a great choice. The food was all very fresh and the staff were extremely attentive and very nice to all customers. Food was a great price as well as a very very good size portion.

In conclusion, i'd give this hotel a good 9 out of 10, it would be the full 10 out of 10, but there was only 1 small problem and that was the room and bathroom size. Although fantastic quality and amazing interior, the bathroom was tiny, and the room was pretty small, but all in all, a really good place to stay.

I've already booked my next stay!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 8, lovely view from the window and very quiet as its not directly on the main road.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jimmy T
Reviewed 7 January 2012

First of all, let me say I am a 61-year old male who was in Port Jervis on business which will flavor some of this review.

I had stayed in another hotel 10 miles away from Port Jervis on a Thursday night, but had car trouble the next day which required my car to be in the shop overnight. So Friday night I decided to stay at the Erie Hotel, which was very convenient to the repair shop.

I ate two dinners at the Erie (Thursday and Friday), both of them the largest cut (and it was large) of prime rib they had, and the food was great.

The beer was even better, as they had eight craft beers on tap as well as some good "national" brands. The back-bar was great, carved from wood, and the atmosphere was also good.

The staff and the clientele were very friendly.

Friday night I stayed at the hotel. I asked for a quiet room, but unfortunately the only one left was on the first floor, right at the front of the building, right over the door to the restaurant/bar where the patrons would congregate to smoke cigarettes and talk very loudly.

Also unfortunately (for me) it was Friday night and they had live music. While the web site talks about a kitchen closing time of 10 P.M. and the sign outside talks about a closing time of 11 P.M., the band was still playing loudly (I could feel the vibrations of the base in my pillow) at 1:30 A.M. Saturday morning. After the band finished they were playing the house music system, which was still very audible in my room, but after I went downstairs and politely complained at 2 A.M. they turned it down enough that (with earplugs) I could get to sleep.

Normally I would not have minded and would have joined in the fun (the band was actually pretty good), but I was tired, and I had asked for a quiet room, which should have clued the staff member to say "Sir, I think you might want to look some other place". I was able to sleep only four hours.

The room and bath were very clean, and the bed was comfortable but the room itself was small (as others have mentioned). I regretted having no desk of any type to put my laptop on while I read email. Yes, they had wireless. I do not know if the WiFi reached to the top floor of the hotel, but it worked fine in my room.

A good breakfast diner was one-half mile away (15 minute stroll).

Bottom line: Probably most nights the Erie would have been a great sleep for the money (half the price of my other hotel room), and having an extensive menu and great beers at the same place you are staying is also good. Particularly if they are craft beers of higher-than-normal alcohol (which they were). If I was not expecting to get up early to try and get my car "in gear" and continue my business, I probably would have loved staying up to hear the band play until 2 A.M. After all, it was a Friday night and only old cranks like me might have to get up early the next day instead of cuddling with a significant someone in a bed to a decent time of the morning.

If you are a couple and "antiquing", a night or two in the Erie would probably be right up your alley.

Room Tip: Don't get room #1. Faces street and is right over door of restaurant.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank maddoghall
Reviewed 29 October 2011

The Erie Hotel is, as its name suggests, an old [1890's] railroad hotel. Three stories, rooms on 2nd and 3rd. Steep climb, but I was offered help with my bag. Stairs and halls none too clean.

The rooms and bath are small, but clean and comfortable. Cable TV, no wi-fi. Housekeeping might wish to pay some attention to detail: no light bulb in bedside lamp [replaced promptly when I asked], jar of vaseline in the medicine cabinet, a box of baking soda on the shelf.

If you're a light sleeper you may be disturbed by street noise or the sounds of a late night train. Or like me you may find a train whistle to be pleasantly nostalgic.

Downstairs is a decent restaurant, great old German carved wooden bar, and Mike is a very pleasant bartender.

Room Tip: If stair climbing is an issue, ask for 2nd rather than 3rd floor
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo