All reviewsroom was cleanindoor poolvalue for the moneyice machinewould stay againsmall fridgecontinental breakfast isfirst floorstayed one nightthe breakfast areasuny plattsburghclerkcouponjacuzzi
Reviewed 28 October 2017

We have been coming to this hotel 2-3 times per year for 7 years and usually stay in the same room, the jacuzzi suite #230. We have had a lot of contact with staff at the hotel over the years and they know who we are. Between my partner and I, we stay in hotels about 60-75 nights per year and are members of Hilton Honors; IHG; SPG; Marriott Rewards; Wyndham Rewards, Best Western & Fairmont Hotels. We can afford to stay at a more expensive hotel but for some reason my partner really likes this hotel. We have had some issues with this Econo Lodge over the years (unreliable wifi, not enough towels/linens/other amenities left in room, lack of service at night due to only one staff working) but continued to choose to stay in this hotel, not for the free breakfast (we love Valerie who works the kitchen but we don't really eat the very basic waffle, toast or cereal type breakfast offered; my young son who often travels with us sometimes does), but for its convenience, excellent location, quietness, & the privacy the motel style affords us. Amenities are basic but the room is clean & relatively comfortable. It also has a bit of character. Two TVs and a pool is a must for us in any hotel as well. The pool is often pretty cold though so we done use it as much as we would if it were warmer; which is why we like the jacuzzi. It is a mini pool for my son.
We stayed last weekend (2017-Oct-21) and had no real issues with #230, other than an uncomfortable sheet (rough & thread barren) and no extra bedding for the sofabed; but that was an easy fix. It had been a year since our previous stay and we were pleasantly suprised this year to see new carpet in the suite, new faux-tile linoleum in the bathroom and a new Flat screen TV in the living area. (Unfortunately, the heat lamp in the bathroom has been replaced with a regular bulb). However, this weekend was a nightmare. We checked-in late on Friday (2017-Oct-27) at about 6:30 pm. I noted at check-in that peculiarly the clerk made a point of telling us that all of the hotel's suites were booked for the night. Once we went to our room I knew why - our non-smoking room had been chain-smoked in. (I'm sure she wanted to avoid having to accommodate a request for a move. The jacuzzi suites are the most costly so they would lose money if they moved us.) The room reeked. We are not talking one or two cigarettes being smoked but a strong permeating odour which we noticed upon entry and which was most concentrated in the bedroom and jacuzzi area. When I called to report the smoke, the clerk was unsympathetic and did not offer a remedy. When I asked about moving to another room with two TVs she reiterated... remember I told you when you checked-in that all our other suites are full. Both air conditioners were turned on full blast which also told me that hotel staff were well aware of the issue long before checked-in time (4pm) and had plenty of time to get someone to properly clean and sanitize the room before our arrival but obviously the hotel was too cheap to do that. The hotel claims to charge offenders $250 to clean the room but when I indicated that I hoped the hotel was going to charge them this time, the clerk said that she would not know who had been in the room before us. Yeah, right! She did agree to have staff bring the requested bedding and to spray the room while we were out for a late supper. We noted upon getting back that a half hearted attempt to spray had been made... the bedroom still reeked but the hallway by the door entrance distinctively smelled better. Both my son and I have asthma and are allergic to smoke which the hotel was aware of due to this same issue on a previous visit. Even if the hotel could claim it did not know, they should have been ethical and ensured that the non-smoking room they rented out was properly cleaned before our arrival instead of trying to mask the smell. I woke at about 4 am with a huge headache, burning eyes, sore throat and breathing issues from breathing in this smoke. It is hard not to feel disrespected which is why, as much as I love lots of things about this very basic hotel, I could not really recommend it to anyone, especially anyone bothered by smoke. Too many times we have encountered smokey hallways and cleaning staff smoking; which we can deal with but when it is in our room, enough is enough!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room. If you require a non-smoking room or reliable wifi, book elsewhere.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2017

I gave it a five star, not because it is a "five star" hotel, but because it had everything that you may need for a one or two night stay for an affordable price. When coming to visit my son at suny plattsburgh, I usually stay at a different hotel, but they were booked solid, so I got a room at Econo. I was very worried about it, BUT... we came in it was fast, friendly service at the front desk. They had a clean, although a bit outdated indoor pool. They had a continental breakfast consisting of coffee, cereals, and waffles. They had a small exercising room and a nice back yard with a small fountain and a few table and chairs outside. They had a washer and dryer which I used to do my sons laundry. The room was small, but clean, same with the bathroom. The staff was very accommodating and nice. So for $81 bucks a night and all this, I believe that this Econo Lodge deserves 5 stars.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor, as I am comfortable staying on the first.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2017

The room I got was much smaller than the room pictured. Even though it is a non-smoking facility the room reeked of old cigarette smoke. The windows do not open, the only fan is in the bathroom and even after spraying air freshener in the room the smell, and the closed in feeling in a small room made me leave. They refused to give me even a partial refund since I had checked in 4 hours earlier. (I'd been out shopping). They person at the desk did not even offer me a different room. (Maybe she knew they all stink?) I will never stay at an econolodge again.

Room Tip: bring lots of air freshener and nose plugs
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here a few times and overall it was always a good stay. Rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. The rooms also have small fridge to keep our water bottles cold before heading out hiking. The pool is a great addition for children. The wifi is decent, but slow at times. Breakfast is alright only because it is included but no selection of fruit. Most of the staff is welcoming except one lady who lectured us to not book through Expedia... Overall this is a good hotel for the cost and our "go to" when spending the night in Plattsburgh.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2017

This motel is very low class. My room was not clean. There were dirty marks on the walls and dirt and dust behind the furniture. The breakfast staff was not pleasant. I wanted cereal for breakfast, but there was no milk. The man in charge said it ran out much earlier because there was a large crowd for breakfast. They do not supply any more when this happens. There was not much food to choose from. The wifi was very poor, if it worked at all. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Close to the breakfast room, laundry and pool.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family