“Used to be better....so they tell me”

Brooks' House of BBQ
Ranked #4 of 125 Restaurants in Oneonta
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I went here for the 1st time with several local people that ranted and raved about the place. Especially the chicken. I was not impressed and they said it wasn't nearly as good as it used to be. I got a combo platter that had ribs (tough and dry) pulled pork (average) and their house specialty chicken. I would say the chicken was the best thing on the plate, but it wasn't anywhere near what I was expecting. It was good, but nothing to write home about. The salad bar was ok and the service was fine.

Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

My grandparents lived in Oneonta and I have many fond memories of Sunday dinners at Brooks dating back to the early ‘60’s.

Today was a bit of a stroll down memory lane as we stopped at the old house and stopped at other personal landmarks.

We ate dinner here and I so wanted it to be good because of all my history with this place.

Unfortunately the chicken white meat was dry in both our dinners. I still love the original sauce but the chicken was disappointing.

It has been years since I had been here and I will probably not be back.

Wish I had a better experience.

Reviewed 22 September 2018

happened upon this place when looking for a place to eat after a day of hiking in the Catskills. it was the BEST reviewed place in Oneonta. we stood in line for maybe 20 mins but once we got to the hostess we were seated.
we were NOT disappointed food was amazing, the restaurant was crowded but to be expected on a Saturday evening.. three of us ate dinner with a doggie bag for under $30!
the only thing that was not to be expected; was this was an alcohol-free restaurant!! expect BBQ without a beer!? even with that being said I would recommend Brooks' to anyone that was going to be in the area.

Reviewed 16 September 2018

we had a great family day and decided to go to brooks for dinner had the option of friendlys if it was too crowded but we loved brooks for 24 yrs ! we chcked the lot and there were spaces we got inside and due to the line we decided to split our group and sit t the counter 3 at one are and 2 at another My sons 2 got there food etc all went well ,us 3 got the wrong food , the salad dressing and bacon on the salad bar had an aftertaste and we never got bread we had to ask for it and no water refills unless you yelled over or tied at many times to gt waitress attention Ok we can deal I guess everyone is young and talking to one another and not really paying attention to the customers but we will still deal, done eating my son gets his bill for his 2 I have the bill for my 3 and i bring to the register to pay them both I have a 50 dollar visa prepaid card and will pay the rest with ny debit visa Both bills come to 74.42 I have also left 14 dollars in tips for both waitresses on the tables 7and7 I am now told I only can pay one bill at a time no problem I give in the 50 prepaid visa and have 11.69 left on tht card so proceed to pay the next bill which was 36.11 I give the prepaid visa which should bring it down to 24.42. I am now told that I cannot use the balance of the prepaid visa to pay for the bill . WHATTT? I am now getting pretty upset She goes and gets a girl younger then her and she proceeds to tell me they dont take prepaid visa cards only Brooks bbq cards???????????????? WHAT!!!! The girl now tells her that it already went thru on the first bill but she cant get it to go through on the second the so called child manager???? says OH "Well you cant use these cards here and someother nonsense that does not make any sense and then tells me to stop raising my voice HELLO!!! whom is yelling at whom here I have had about enough by now I pay the bill with my visa debit and finish up and ask the first girl if there is a manager here besides this child that has now hidden in the back She says no and I ask for the girls name that was making all the argumentive comments the so called night manager child and she said she cant find out and finally a young server who was there the whole time says mam her name is Diane I said thank you very much and that I was getting ahold of the owners , The dinner at brooks tonight was a choice I thought it would be a nice time and great food for all Unfortunatly it was the wrong choice and there fore ruined a great day and the service and food was nothing like it used to be After 24 yrs I will not return nor bring any guests there that visit The highlight of the evening after that is we stop at home depot we make a purchase we go to use our card I explain what happened at brooks she puts it through says dont worry and says we had a 4,50 credit It was suppose to be 11.69 so basically Brooks stole 7.19 in addition to holding me hostage to pay my bill for over 15 minutes .Lesson learned absentee adult managment does not work They are running Brooks into the ground as having teeney boppers run it and be rude to customers Enough said I should have left and never stopped to pay Believe me they have no clue whats going on there and to steal money off credit cards from customers What is going on!!! I am letting visa know and will write to the absentee manager of brooks

1  Thank dianeAftonNy
Reviewed 28 August 2018

The lines can be long when they are busy, but the food is very good. Two things out of towners don't know - the dining counter is first come, first serve if you can squeeze past the people in line! Another way to get a quick meal is to order at the take-out window. Brooks' has several picnic areas around the sides.