All reviews downtown oneonta front desk staff business traveler hotel is perfect the room was nice beds were comfortable clerk
Reviewed 9 August 2008

This hotel was okay--not great, not bad. The young woman who checked us in was quite friendly. My concern is with the $2.00 service charge added--surreptitiously, I believe--to the bill. I did not notice the charge until after I had already signed my credit card receipt. I questioned the charge and was told that it was for the custodial staff. Even though I said that we always leave a tip in our room for the maid, there was no offer to remove the charge. This seems quite sneaky to me; I would prefer they just increase the room price by $2.00. If not, at the very least, customers should be informed of the charge when they check in.

Because this happened, during the rest of our trip, I asked before checking in if there would be additional charges added to hotel/motel bills. Sure enough, one motel added a $3.00 charge if you didn't return the room key and a $1.00 safe charge whether you used the safe or not; the man at the check-in desk told me to ask that both charges be removed when I checked out. From now on, I believe we will have to be more vigilant about what exactly these places are charging us for.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank Penrod
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I made a reservation and called within 1/2 hr to cancel. I was told I would loose $160 for canceling. Mind you this was 1 week prior to our intended arrival. They didn't care why, I will NEVER use there chain for accomodations again. Watch out for this money grabbing hotel!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Maryjjo3
Reviewed 31 July 2007

I'm not really sure what this hotel is trying to be. It gives the impression of a business hotel, yet offers little to the business traveler. No restaurant or bar and the equipment in the "business center" consisted of one computer with a broken printer. Most of the exercise room equipment was non functioning, and the place had a bit of a tired appearance. Worn carpeting, dinged and scratched furniture, and for the size of the place, only one elevator.
The reality is that this hotel, like most in Oneonta, cater to folks on their way to Cooperstown. The have a captive audience in this respect, so they really don't have to make any effort to make the place worthy of the rates they charge.
Overall a disappointing, and somewhat dreary place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2006

Stayed one weeknight in October as I was there for business. Check-in was efficient and friendly. There were warm cookies in a basket for the taking at the front desk, which I thought was a nice touch. The room was clean and well-maintained. If you like the Oneonta bars, this certainly is a good choice; hotel entrances can be found on Main, S. Main, and Water Streets-making bar-hopping convenient, if that's your thing.

The free internet access was poor. The connection faded out every 2 or 3 minutes, necessitating the whole log-in process each time. Beware-I think hackers have infiltrated their system as I have unsavory sounding and strange internet portals on my list of networks now. You may want to leave the laptop at home.

There is now a mandatory $2.00/day housekeeping gratuity attached to each bill! I've stayed in hotels hundreds of nights and have never seen this.. I thought a gratuity was a discretionary thing and I always tip the maid. However to be FORCED to do this is unsettling. My only hope is that management actualy gives every penny of this to the maids and doesn't lower their salary based on it.

Free local paper and USA Today are provided. The the cozy, but clean pool/whirlpool is pleasant.

recommended.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank AlbanyDave
Reviewed 18 October 2006

We booked our trip 6 months in advance. When we arrived, the hotel had nothing it advertised. The restaurant is closed all the time, no cocktail lounge, workout machines in gym were broken, room was dirty and smelled musty, the pool and jacuzzi were over run by children under 8, with no supervision. The staff is nasty and unhelpful. It was just a nightmare! If you are a parent who has a child that is playing at ALL-star Village, Do yourself a favor and stay at the Holiday Inn instead. This hotel has nothing it advertises on the internet!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple