“Warning! Stay somewhere else!”

Adirondack Lodge Old Forge
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Old Forge
Reviewed 30 October 2017

DISGUSTING! While staying at the Adirondack Lodge in Old Forge on Friday 9/22-9/24 we experienced the WORST hotel stay EVER!! Had we had any other option, we would have left immediately, but there were no vacancies elsewhere. I left a list with the desk clerk when we departed letting him know of some of the problems we experienced and asked him to share it with the owner, Arthur Kott. I also emailed multiple times, and his manager said she would share it with him, but he never responded. He apparently does not give a crap if you have any complaints. We had an unpleasant stay at the lodge due to extreme neglect of the property and horrible housekeeping practices. The clerk told us they had had a recent turn over in housekeeping staff. I told him you should change the housekeeping staff again! Some of the problems we encountered were: Musty smell upon arrival in the room. Stained chairs, carpet and walls, dead fly left smashed on the wall, stained sheets on the bed, hair under the pillows on the bed sheets, mildewed shower curtain and wall, dirt behind the night stand (I found this when I was looking for the alarm clock that had fallen behind the night stand), light fixture full of bugs, peeling wall paper, rotting wood around the windows and door frames, missing window crank. We also found the "breakfast" to be lacking. 8-10 am is not sufficient given we are early risers and 7 am we were ready for something before heading out for the day. We ended up hitting the Fast Track the first day. On check out day the coffee was already empty when we arrived at 7:55 am. The pool-so hot in the room you could barely breathe, and another guest said the water was quite cold. An outdoor trashcan to dispose of our dogs waste would have been nice, since we are responsible enough to pick up after our dog, although we noticed other guests were not. Won't make the mistake of staying there again. What an absolute DUMP!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 October 2017

GOOD: Big rooms, a high-calorie carb-heavy breakfast.
NOT SO GREAT: No wireless in rooms, only in lobby. Blamed on third party non-delivery of updated equipment. Checking-in guests are not told of the problem and eventually figure it out on their own. It would have been a simple matter for check-in folks to explain the problem and save guests a lot of frustration. Only a few restaurants are open for dinner after Columbus Day, a fact which would have been easy to explain but was not. The one "department store" in town (which had at least eight employees working) claimed to have no restroom and sent us (paying customers) across the street to a closed-up souvenier shop. Not impressed by this "hospitality."

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank mike110742
Reviewed 11 October 2017

I have been going to the Adirondacks all my life. We have often rented summer homes for a week at a time and in the fall we frequently visit for a weekend, when we stay at one of the motels in town. I urge anyone considering a stay at the Adirondack Lodge to find another spot. The people who work at this lodging establishment are unquestionably the least friendly people I have ever encountered. Our recent visit was organized by my grown children as a birthday gift to me. My kids told me that their phone conversations with the reservations staff were unpleasant due to the curt, unfriendly manner of everyone they spoke with. When I checked in, the woman at the desk never smiled, never welcomed me, and didn't asked if I had any questions, or thank me for staying. Later that day, when looking for the ice machine, I asked a staff member to help me as the sign indicated that the machine was in one direction but I was unable to locate it. She said, "Well it isn't that way, you have to go inside and up the stairs" (the complete opposite direction indicated by the sign), as though I was a fool for not knowing that their sign was completely wrong. Before leaving on the last day of our stay, I stopped into the office and asked if they needed anything from me and the woman at the desk blankly looked at me and said, "No," in a tone that was nothing if not irritated. End of exchange. I am astounded that this place can stay in business. The staff is clearly over their jobs and should find another line of business - one that does not require any customer service.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Ec12354
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Nice rustic-looking features. First impression of room was very dark. Bathroom very small, but doable. I had a no smoking room, but people would be smoking outside and it seeped in. The bed was comfortable although the dark patterns of the comforter added to the darkness of the room. Breakfast was bleak.

The work table was a great size, big enough for two to work or dine. The bed was comfortable.

The biggest issue, though was no internet in the rooms! If I had internet it would have been a much better stay.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Everything Michele S said in her review, is right on! They need to hire new cleaners and a friendly front desk staff. Update their rooms - they stink! The only advantage is location and size of indoor pool for the kids.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
35.9 km away
The Lodge at Headwaters
The Lodge at Headwaters
#1 of 1 in Boonville

Been to Adirondack Lodge Old Forge? Share your experiences!