“Over-priced, poor service, DANGEROUS! ”
Review of Calypso's Cove

Calypso's Cove
Ranked #17 of 18 things to do in Old Forge
More attraction details
Owner description: Calypso's Cove Family Fun Park is located directly in front of Enchanted Forest Water Safari in Old Forge, NY features a zipline, Go-Karts, Bumper Boats, Batting Cages, Rock Climbing Wall, Mini Golf, Arcade, Prize Center, Pizza Hut Express, Ice Cream and more! Open afternoons and evenings end of June - Labor Day. Open Memorial Day Weekend weather permitting.
Reviewed 15 July 2015 via mobile

I'm in Old Forge with my two teenage sisters and thought it would be fun to take them to Calypso's Cove for the afternoon when I noticed they had unlimited Go-Kart rides for $15 that day. We started with lunch which cost us approx $33 dollars for a "medium pizza", large bucket of fries, and 3 drinks. We waited twenty minutes, to no avail, for our buzzer to go off to notify us the food was ready. I went up to check and was reminded it would buzz when it was ready, so I stood there for 5 more minutes. Then an employee realized our food had been sitting ready for quite some time - it was soggy and luke warm at that point. 30 minute wait for overpriced, semi cold food and NO apology offered when they handed it over. It's called customer service Calypso's Cove...(which seems to be lacking across the board)

Do NOT Go-Kart there! There is absolutely zero control over those on the track. They lecture on how there is no bumping, yet seem to have zero interest in making sure that rule is adhered to. I was rammed (with my 12 year old sister is the kart) at least 2 times by the same person, and nothing was done. The third time there was a multi-kart pile up where we were t-boned after being bumped behind by the same person. I looked up to the nearest employee...who was looking down at his flag. My knee was banged up pretty badly in that last pile up.

I asked to speak to a manager after who was zero help. Customer service 101: listen, acknowledge, apologize, make amends. My experience? Cut off, excuses ("Well, I hear the employees calling bumps!"), and a borderline sarcastic "Sorry!", almost as if it was a "normal" risk. Bodily harm should NOT be par for the course EVER!

Do not go here...especially with children/teens. It is not safe and they don't seem to care about that fact either. The only memory I'm leaving with is a swollen and bruised knee. Hope you enjoy my $60 - I won't be back.

3  Thank kinzelhm
General M, General Manager at Calypso's Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2015

We apologize that you were not satisfied with your trip to Calypso’s Cove. We strive very hard to make sure that guest service and safety of our guests and team members are always our number one priorities. We have passed your food service information along to our food service management team, as that miscommunication should not have occurred and your food should have been prepared in a more timely manner.
Our go kart team has very strict policies and procedures to follow to ensure guest and team member safety. Given there are inherent risks when participating in amusement devices, per NYS law, we continue to do our best to ensure that our policies and procedures are followed so, in order to keep everyone safe and so that we can best control the actions of other guests as much as possible.
Upper management has spoken with the management staff on your feedback and can assure you that we are continuing to work on ongoing training and improvements. There are no excuses for either of those things to occur. Once again we apologize and hope you will consider giving us another try.

Reviewed 14 July 2015

We played the games and won a ton of stuff. That was great. But I noticed that some of the games were not working after I put a few token in. We did the bumper boats. Lots of fun. But the attendant barely spoke English. It was difficult to figure out what it was she wanted me to do with the boat when trying to maneuver it back into the docking station. As a result, it came across as her being rude as she grunted and pointed. We also enjoyed the go karts on this day. We found the prices reasonable and competitive.

2  Thank Tricia S

Thank you for your review on Calypso’s Cove. We do employ several college students from abroad, who come here on a cultural exchange to work and travel. As English is not their first language, we appreciate your patience with the language and can assure you that are very well trained in both guest service and how to operate all of the attractions at Calypso’s Cove. We continue to work with them throughout the summer on training and their English skills. We have found these cultural exchanges to be beneficial to both the students and to us, Americans, as we can learn a great deal from each other.

Reviewed 8 July 2015

My boys and I had a fun evening here after the water park. The arcade is fun and the boys won a lot of tickets. The tickets were exchanged for some prizes they could pick out. The zip line was fun and safe. The cost of the zip line and other activities is not expensive. Over all a fun evening for kids.

1  Thank Sheri S
General M, General Manager at Calypso's Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2015

Thank you for your review - glad you were able to enjoy Calypso's Cove after at day at Water Safari! We hope to see you & your family again soon!

Reviewed 29 January 2015 via mobile

This place rocks. The grounds are kept clean despite hoards of kids and some careless adult guests. The go cart track is super fun and exciting. Its the perfect conclusion to a wonderful experience at the water safari! Bumper boats really made the kids night. The price for all attractions was fair and would have been much more expensive in another town. I think past reviewers may have missed a beat complaining about high cost.

1  Thank Chazzter
General M, General Manager at Calypso's Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2015

Thank you so much for the 5-star review! We're so happy that you and your family enjoyed your time at Calypso's Cove - we strive to provide fun family entertainment at affordable prices. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Wanted to do go karts with the kids, but it was raining; not their fault except that it opens at 2 p.m. We played arcade games, won a few tickets, some machines not working correctly.

2  Thank eclipticform
General M, General Manager at Calypso's Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hi - Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit to Calypso's Cove. Our arcade, mini golf course & Pizza Hut Express all open at 11am daily with the remainder of our attractions opening at 2pm. We apologize about you & your family not being able to use the go-karts - unfortunately, the weather was not cooperating with us while you were here. While we do try our very best to dry the tracks after it rains & get the cars running again, it is not always possible. As for the arcade games that were not working for you - we apologize for this inconvenience. We have a games technician on duty at all times to help with any problems that may arise. Having said that, we hope that you & your family will decide to come & visit us again soon.