All reviews the river adirondack chairs front desk room was clean breakfast was included the st lawrence river manor house hash browns front porch coffee maker high school beautiful view of the lake older establishment open house would stay again gazebo suite
Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

The Stonefence in on the shore of the St. Lawrence River is an older establishment. So expect a typical older river motel. But with that said the property is beautiful with lush green lawns and walkways leading out to a gazebo and their own marina right on the St. Lawrence River. A very nice breakfast was included with my stay The room itself needed to be updated and the carpeting was in poor shape. This is a perfect place to bring the family to relax in a comfortable atmosphere at a slower pace. Centrally located and a quick drive to major shopping in Ogdensburg, the Bridge, and if you head south, so Jacques Cartier State Park in Morristown and Alexandria Bay! I do recommend this if you're looking For an affordable getaway.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank 471dah
Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

Drove by the hotel on a very frigid and windy day on the way into the small town of Ogdensburg (where I had never been) and was stricken by the appearance of the place. There were a few hotels on the highway, but this one stood out with a historical and very quaint appearance, fitting the setting right on the river/?lake.

A third party website booked me on the wrong dates, and I much appreciated the fact that I had personal connection with the front desk (as opposed to what I've experienced at some chain hotels). He solved the problem with ease and was very kind and personable.

We stayed in the manor house, which was so nice, warm and cozy on such a bitterly cold night. Parking is only a few steps from the building. The room was clean. Bed and pillows were comfortable, and it was very quiet. We did not have a direct river view. Did not try the breakfast, but there was a coffeemaker, fridge and microwave in the room.

I loved my stay at the Stone Fence and will not hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
stonefencemotel, Front Office Manager at Stonefence Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2017

Thank you for choosing The Stonefence located on the St Lawrence River. We look forward to you visiting again.

Donnamae Daum
Office Manager

Reviewed 26 November 2016

There are few options for hotels in the Ogdensburg area however we have been staying at the Stone Fence for years whenever we come to visit family. The staff is always very helpful and friendly. On our recent trip, our experience was not what we have been accustomed to in the past. We stayed in a townhouse. Generally speaking, it was clean but carpet and furniture was dated.

The positives:
1. Clean and well functioning bathrooms;
2. Comfortable beds/pillows;
3. All appliances and equipment functioning;

The negatives:
1. Upon entering room, we noticed all clocks flashing - likely, but not sure, that power was disconnected and turned on before our arrival...
2. Leaky roof -- there was some snow on roof. On our arrival we turned the heat on in the unit. Not long thereafter, we noticed water dripping from the wood trim piece on the second floor ceiling -- near an older water stain on the ceiling. Dripping stopped on our second day -- all snow had melted off roof;
3. Dead flies on the second floor window sill;

We would return here in the future however we would have some reservations. The good long term track record with the Stone Fence warrants giving this location future consideration.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Rich_A_NY
Reviewed 4 November 2016

The police were there when I arrived. It was'nt the greatest place I ever stayed in and I travel a lot. I was concerned about the cops being there when I arrived. I'm always looking for a hotel that is clean and offers great value. However this was a disappointment.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
6  Thank Terence C
stonefencemotel, Guest Relations Manager at Stonefence Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2016

The police are often in the area as well as the border patrol, making sure all is safe as we are close to the border, they are looking out for our wellfare. This should be seen as our guests are being looked after for their safety.

Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

Well kept hotel, we have been coming here for years but it has been updated in past 5 years. All units have river views and there is a dock and outdoor rec area. Nice buffet breakfast too. Location is right on the main east-west road but some units are near the river.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
stonefencemotel, Front Office Manager at Stonefence Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2016

Thank you for choosing The Stonefence, we are pleased you were happy with our on going updating to our 12 acres located on the St Lawrence River. We look forward to your return.

Donnamae Daum