“Tourist trap!!! Worst food I had during my latest visit in Santorini..”
Review of Taverna Katina

Taverna Katina
Ranked #15 of 94 Restaurants in Oia
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in Ammoudi Port in Oia on island of Santorini
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I have been to Katina for lunch because it was highly recommended by the hotel reception & because I had read the reviews in Tripadvisor.
I have one thing to say: the food was the worst I have eaten in an island!!! All the seafood is frozen and imported ,not what you expect from a Greek tavern.
I am Greek and a savvy foodie and when I went there I tried a few appetizers including the fava, tomatoe patties, octupous & mussels which were all pretty disappointing and I skipped the fish altogether because they were not fresh.
Just because we liked the location Ammoudi, we decided to go back back and try Dimitris one of the other fish taverns that a local has recommended and I got to say it was million times better. Real Greek fish meze tavern in front of the water!

1  Thank Konstantia_1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,237)

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Location is very nice,little harbour looks very traditional.
Restaurant is simple but nice.
Food was good but the fish was not as good as you would expect in a fishing harbour location. I would say fish was just ok.
Price overall is reasonable. Service is fast.
If I would be back I would try another place.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

The best seafood on Santorini is definitely in Ammoudi by the water in Oia. It is like you are eating at your Grandmother's, using only the highest quality ingredients and truly delicious recipes. Everything we ate was better than the next and the service was excellent. The place was jammed with people as the setting is unforgettable sitting by the ocean. Make sure to plan enough time to get there if you are traveling from Fira, but make no mistake, it is worth the drive!

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Our family of eight had planned a private sailing trip for the day but the Meltemei winds really picked up that morning and the adventure that we so had looked forward to, was appropriately canceled. (Likely a blessing as my husband woke up with vertigo that morning!) We regrouped and walked down to Ammoudi harbor for a swim off the rocks and lunch.

Being a little hot (and grumpy) we came upon Katinas which we had read about on TripAdvisor. The staff was so friendly and welcoming and the fish looked delicious. We decided to have lunch first and then take a dip. They couldn't have been nicer and helped my husband and son chose a (whole) scorpion fish to share. The tomato fritters were indeed yummy, as was the swordfish. Everything was great and we had the house wine which was perfect. (which I chose almost everyday of our 20 day visit because there really is no good reason to order expensive bottled wine!) NOW we were set for that swim!

Bottom line: excellent meal with true Greek hospitality. Day salvaged; another beautiful day in Greece!

PS The hike up the steps was a good one for us parents but the kiddos rode the donkeys. (which by the way were treated kindly and well cared for)

1  Thank CoronadoGaggle
Reviewed 30 July 2011

fish was fresh, place was awesome, service was impeccable.
what else can one ask for?