“Ultimately a disappointment”

Nectar and Ambrosia
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Nectar & Ambrosia is Closed for the Season 2013. Watch for our reopening date on TripAdvisor. Our sister restaurant AMBROSIA Restaurant is open in Oia for fine dining and unique views.
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We came across Ambrosia and Nectar (not to be confused with the nearby Ambrosia restaurant) having found our intended destination - Ochre unexpected closed. The restaurant is on the far side of Oia towards the fort. On the night we were there, there were only four of the nine tables occupied, and service was prompt if a little formal for such a small establishment.

We started with a sharing plate of mezedes which consisted of a good selection of cold cuts, well presented and in ample quantities. So far so good. Things started to go awry with the mains - my 'special' of spinach ravioli was again generous in terms of quantity, but well, a bit dull to be honest with no real flavour coming through. My wife's salmon - two large fillets - was overcooked and again had nothing particular to recommend them.

I'm sure on a different night and with different choices, it could have been different, and certainly those on other tables were fulsome in their praise for own meals. For us however, there was just a general lack of warmth and engagement about the evening.

1  Thank LondonPhilC

Reviewed 19 October 2012

Octopus & lentils, shrimp with a Vin Santo sauce, and a specials menu, a greek salad we couldn't finish and a dessert menu we quite simply couldn't make a decsision about - we wanted them all but sadly....Immaculate service and a local wine list. Offers better value than the sister Ambrosia but lacks the view. Superb.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

This was the second restaurant in which we had dinner in Oia. No, it did not have the caldera views that other restaurants have but I would return to this restaurant over any of those with the wonderful views. The food was truly outstanding, the service was great and the atmosphere was cozy and casual/elegant. The phyllo wrapped cheese appetizer was amazing, then, so was every course of all four meals. My only regret was not returning for another meal there before we left!!!!

Reviewed 26 September 2012

We picked this restaurant based on the reviews from trip advisor. The food was delicious. We started with the Roka salad, which was very large - so plan to share. For the main course I had the shrimp vinsanto which was excellent. Dessert was the strawberry and chocolate mousse. They had a nice wine list with local and some foreign wines, I think mainly French. The cost was more than your local taverna, but on par with most of the pricier restaurants in Oia. Service was attentive.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

My wife and I dress very smartly, have travelled around the world and ate in some of the most prestigious restaurants to the basic.
Last night we were with our three month old son, who was asleep in his pram. We were on our fourth night out in Oia and have had some excellent meals in the likes of floga, 1800 etc
I stopped outside the restaurant pushing the pram, my wife entered, spoke to a waiter who said there was no problem so I entered.
We were ignored for a few minutes by this older waiter whose only words were "you're in my way, I need to serve these" as he carried plates through the restaurant.
I asked which table should we sit at, as we continued to be ignored. Maybe this was because I had a pram who knows. By this point everyone in the restaurant was staring as I'm standing in the middle of the aisle waiting to be shown to my table.
The waiter came back over, ignored me again and walked towards my wife and said "I don't think this is going to work out".
I said why did you say it was fine to come in then, to be replied with a shrug of the shoulders.
I looked at the faces of the people eating, none of whom looked very happy and their food looked poor anyway.
I would rather eat at restaurants like we have done every other night an had excellent food with smiles on their faces than step foot in nectar and ambrosia and I suggest you do the same.

7  Thank dexterabn
TonyNectar, Owner at Nectar and Ambrosia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Thank you for your comments, although under the tables's romantic candlelights the quick encounter may have been confused. I am the "older waiter" and actually the only waiter that evening; a night when our 9 tables were all with reservations. Your wife asked for a table for two - and I offered the only table for two (the guests were late) and then she said you also had a baby - I exceptionally offered the table of four (usually held for four guests) with a sofa, assuming the child could sit on the sofa. Our terrace is small, you and the pram (a surprise to me) arrived when I was attempting to serve heavy plates to a table. Apology now if my first priority was to serve seated guests and I didn't have time to fully understand your party's needs. I know you didn't intend to block my only access. I think you agree that the size of the pram and the space available around the table wasn't a fit - hence my " I don't see HOW this is going to work out." Almost the same quote - but I simply didn't see how we could accommodate the pram and as the infant was sleeping, it was obvious the sofa couldn't assist. The pram would have been next to the neighbouring table as well - which I think you understood once you came onto the terrace from the pathway. Perhaps, if we all had a few more minutes to communicate prior to the pram being put on the terrace - we could have found a different solution.
As to your review of our other guests's experiences and the quality of our food - I understand your frustration but as two of the tables booked again for the following night, I don't think it is an accurate comment.
Is it really fair to rank a restaurant's Value, Food, etc on TripAdvisor without any direct experience ?
We found an infant's white knitted cap on the pathway and have it at the restaurant in case you lost one. We can post it if you wish.