“Overrated. Worst dive experience ever. They care more about profit than customer satisfaction.”

Manta Diving Center
Reviewed 5 August 2017

Terrible customer service and questionable safety standards. Worst diving experience I've ever had (I've dived 20+ times around they world). They actually put me off diving Azores - it was a huge disappointment. Problems in ascending order of severity:

1) The dive master didn't speak English when I was under the impression I'd have an English speaking dive master.

2) The dive master didn't point out anything of interest other than the devil rays.

3) The dive sites were boring with nothing much to see (other than the devil rays which we saw for 2-3 min after waiting for 30 min seeing nothing else), especially given how expensive the dives were. €136 for 2 dives! (I had better diving for $25 / dive!)

4) The group size was way too big - 8 divers with 1 dive master (all my previous experiences were 4:1 and I'm aware that other dive operators in the area also have smaller sizes). Whilst waiting for the devil rays to appear we all hung onto a vertical rope. As I was at the top of the rope all I could see was bubbles and more bubbles, which made me feel dizzy and disoriented, and when the rays finally arrived there was a frenzy of movement amongst the divers I couldn't fully appreciate the sighting.

5) I had serious safety concerns due to the large group size and the incompetency of the dive master. Towards the end of one dive we ascended very quickly before we did the safety stop and I couldn't stop myself from ascending to the top. The dive master simply signalled for me to come down but did nothing to actually help me even though it was clear I was struggling. I never did the 3 min safety stop and may still have nitrogen in my body. He didn't seem concerned at all. Oh and when we initially boarded the boat I realised no one had given me a mask and thought maybe it's on the boat already but I thought I better double check - it turns out they had completely forgotten to give me a mask! How can I trust to dive with these guys again?!

I actually gave them a chance to respond to my complaints before I posted this review, but their appalling response made it even worse. They called me "demanding" because I was specific about wanting to dive Ambrosio (for seeing the devil rays) and caves, and "extremely demanding" because I wanted a good fit for my wet-suit and boots. Instead of apologising for forgetting to give me a mask they said it's my responsibility to ensure I have all my equipment. Their whole response was not taking any responsibility. Even more shocking is that the dive master was actually the owner - he clearly did not care about customer satisfaction, either that or he was not a very competent dive master as he failed to come to my aid when I needed it during the ascent for fear of "putting his safety at risk" (risk of ascending?)! It's a heartless business.

Reviewed 6 May 2017

This Easter, my son and I had the good fortune to take a diving holiday with Manta Diving. We started with an informative and professional refresher course with Manta Diving’s instructor and owner Nuno (which I can highly recommend). We then took, over several days, 8 dives; it should have only been six but we were having such a good time we took 2 more. For the dives, we were ably guided by Dudu; a Cabo Verde native. At all times, we felt secure and well looked after. Dudu, had done it all before and we felt comfortable letting him guide us through the dives. All in all, a very positive experience, with maybe not the biggest outfit in town but an outfit where everyone was very, kind, friendly, professional and in best Cabo Verde style relaxed – no stress. They get a positive recommendation from me.

Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had a fantastic diving experience with Nuno and his team! !
We would definitely recommend his diving centre as being extremely professional and friendly atmosphere.
The dive sites were well chosen and we will looked after.
My girlfriend did a refresh dive and she received needful advises .
We can't wait to go back )))
Thanks a million Nuno and team x

Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

I visited Sal for a week with my dad. I am an advanced open water diver and my dad has never dived before. I contacted Manta via Facebook before flying out to Sal to enquire about dives for myself and a try dive for my dad. They collected us from our hotel and brought us to the dive centre (now based at Villa Verde). My dad had some theory before doing skills in the pool. He was with a couple doing their open water diver, so he got a lot of information and was very impressed with the teaching and skills taught. After the pool skills, we went out to a shallow dive site, just Dudu, my dad and myself. We had a good dive and saw lots of fish, visibility was about 15m. I had mentioned that my dad would like to do a wreck dive, so the next day we went out again to do a wreck at about 9-12m. Dudu was great with my dad and he had a really good experience. Dad used up his air pretty quickly, so Dudu went up with him and I stayed down with Mariana to explore the inside of the wreck. I had my own kit, but left my weight pockets at the dive centre by accident - they kindly let me know and dropped them off at my hotel for me. Overall, we had a great experience with Manta - I wish I could have done more diving with them, but at least I have an excuse to go back and explore the other wrecks they have. Thanks guys!

Reviewed 9 March 2017

It was a great time to get the Open Water Diver certification with Nuno and his team!
Calm and collected Nuno went through all the necessary information and drills needed to enjoy diving to the fullest. Manta Diving Center is worth a planned trip just to enjoy diving with these wonderful people in this beautiful location, Cape Verde. Don't hesitate to contact this agency.