“Friendly, helpful, perfect for cyclists travelling the Erie Canal route”

Newark Garden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 19 August 2017

After a long day cycling we were grateful to find The Newark Garden Hotel very pleasant, with very accommodating staff. In particular the owner, David A. Scheer, provided us with much needed help.

The hotel includes a pool. And an excellent breakfast.

If travelling to Newark, N.Y. I recommend you stay at the Garden Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Affordable pricing, convenient location, and great value. Superb, friendly, and accommodating staff.
I wish I remembered names better, but the lady in charge of breakfast was adorable and sweet. The gentleman who I believe was the owner is so personable it almost hurts, with a ready smile and pleasant sense of humor.
Speaking of breakfast, the options were pleasantly diverse with a good mix of cold cereals and warm foods (scrambled and hard boiled eggs, bacon, sausage, and a waffle making station, as well as toast-able bagels and bread) - an excellent perk for what is already a well priced hotel.
Meeting a friend, we actually spent our entire stay (aside from a few meals) in the hotel playing a few games and watching Netflix using the XBOX I brought with me. Hooking the console up to the television was easy, and connecting to the hotel Wi-Fi was straight forward and hassle-free. The connection speed was a little low for online multiplayer games, but Netflix streamed perfectly well.
The mini-fridge in the room was more spacious than many I have seen, and held our leftovers and drinks with room to spare. Although we did not use the microwave, it too was nicely sized.
The beds, while not luxurious, were comfortable and I enjoyed the soft, overstuffed pillows. I would gladly buy some for home! I slept well, in spite of some hallway noise.
On the noise subject, doors closing in the hall are audible bordering on loud, though we experienced no "adjoining room" noise. Our room had adjoining room doors on both sides, so the availability of such a feature for larger parties seems nice, but felt a bit odd to us.
We had a pool side room (with a door opening directly into the pool area as well as one into the hallway). During pool hours pool activity is clearly audible, though this would be a non-issue for anyone not staying in the room during the day. The direct access to the pool is a very cool feature that I have not often seen.
While we did not use the indoor pool ourselves, it was nicely sized and clean looking.
The Air Conditioning unit was fairly high volume - not an issue for me, and in fact I enjoy the noise at night. It could be set to fan only, heat and cool - the temperature was able to be set as low as 60 degrees and cooled down rapidly and stayed cool effectively.
The bathroom was fairly standard hotel size - larger than many I have encountered, though not spacious. The shower DID feel spacious due to the curved shower bar, the detachable shower head had multiple spray settings, and the water did not feel too "hard" or "soft".
We did not use the coffee maker in the room, or the blow dryer in the bathroom, but both were available.
The room was as clean as you might expect, from the sheets to the carpet to the tile and fixtures in the bathroom.
I am certain I am leaving out some details, but this is everything that has occurred to me.

TL/DR: Of the many places I have stayed all over the country, this is hard to beat in overall pleasantness for the price, with nice amenities, welcoming staff, and a good location.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms have second door with direct access to indoor pool.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Newark G, Owner at Newark Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Thank you for you wonderful review. I think your review is the most thorough we have ever had. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

1960's style motel without any charm. Staff was friendly, rooms seemed clean, but everything was old and worn out. If staying in this general area, I would make a different choice. Not terrible, but overall a disappointment.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Newark G, General Manager at Newark Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

We are sorry you did not have a better experience at our hotel. We have been upgrading all of our rooms but have not completed the entire hotel yet. We have sold out on numerous dates recently and it is possible you had one of the older rooms. We sincerely apologize. Did you have a chance to try our heated pool or our Hot buffet breakfast? If you return you may find numerous upgrades to your room.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

I brought a group of 30 high school students and chaperons to Newark Garden Hotel August 7-10th for a visit to Niagara Falls and Lake Ontario. It was a last minute decision because previous lodging plans fell through. But Dave, the manager, was so friendly and easy to work with, the whole trip came together very smoothly.

The hotel was a great fit for our needs. Dave worked with me and my staff to ensure that we were able to meet the unique challenges of boarding a group of teenagers. The homey, down to earth nature of the place made us all feel comfortable and we never felt like we were a burden or a bother, like can often be the case just when a group of teens even enters a place. But the kids were treated well and we greatly appreciated that.

The students loved the heated pool and we secured the use of the banquet room for a night of board games and hanging out. The hot breakfast of eggs, bacon, potatoes, sausage, waffles plus cereal and fruit was a hit with the students. And for a group that is notoriously hard to please, that I didn't get a single complaint about anything in the hotel is a big plus. :)

Thanks to the staff for helping to make our visit to the area an easy, comfortable and carefree trip.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Aimie_C5
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Hotel was conveniently located on the canal and close to several restaurants. The heated pool was a bonus. Perfect way to spend day 5 of a 8 day bike ride. Staff was friendly and breakfast was yummy. Good times

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Newark G, Owner at Newark Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Thank you for the review. We hope your bike ride was a lot of fun. Maybe we will see you next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
13.3 km away
26.5 km away
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
#1 of 4 in Seneca Falls

Been to Newark Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!