“An Update a Year Later” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in New Paltz
Brooklyn, NY
“An Update a Year Later”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Our overall rating remains the same, and after staying for four nights this year there's nothing in our last review that we'd change, but we can add a few observations.

Rooms on the ground floor with even numbers in the 60s and 70s are on the lakeside but do not have lake views; they're too low to see the lake. But they are also very quiet rooms for two reasons; they're in a stone building with thick walls, and they are, in essence, in a cul de sac with little foot traffic going by as the only "public" destination further down this corridor is the in-house doctor's office. We brought a laptop this trip and our wireless service in room 72 was excellent. These ground floor and first floor rooms (numbered in the 100s) are also convenient for those attending theme weekends, like "Jazz on the Mountain" which we attended for a second time, as one's room is convenient to the activity venues (and the dining rooms) so that a quick trip back to the room won't entail an elevator ride.

I should mention that along with newly renovated bathrooms, some of the rooms have been left with stall showers rather than bath tubs. Our stall shower was roomy, attractive, and had a bench, but one still couldn't take a bath! If it matters to you, and it might after a day's outdoor exercise, request a room with a tub. I was assured that it is not their intention to switch all the rooms to showers only; some will still have tubs and some separate showers and tubs.

We were again pleasantly surprised by how consistently polite and helpful Mohonk Mountain House staff were, surprising given that there is no tipping as service is added to the bill. This is only the second US hotel we've stayed at where there was no tipping, (the other was the Seaport Hotel in Boston, Mass.,) and we got outstanding service at both. Go figure! It seems logical that staff work harder when striving to get bigger tips, but these two properties seem to belie that theory.

Lastly, if the Mountain House's other theme weekends are anywhere close to as much fun as the two Jazz on the Mountain weekends (managed by WBGO jazz radio 88.3 FM of Newark, NJ,) we've attended, it would be worth checking out those special weekends.

-Rags

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms will have more dramatic views, but mean more elevator trips; lower floor rooms can...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rags2006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Korean first
Paramus, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

My friend and I visited for the day and got a day spa pass. The spa itself is great- we both got massages. I had Kelly and my friend had Mary and they both were wonderful. It is very relaxing there. If you want a great getaway or mini-vacation, I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Not sure about the rooms, but if it's cold out you may want to valet your car. The car park is...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Windsong70
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Attended the WBGO jazz weekend. What a wonderful time. I understand that this site is not about the music or the extras that we got through WBGO, but if you thinking about jazz, then this is the place to go. Loved the fact that everything that we wanted to do was included. From the moment we drove up to the moment we left, the hardest part of the weekend was pulling ourselves away from the buffet. Everything at the buffet was labeled for those on special diets ( gluten, pork, shellfish, dairy, garlic etc0. No guesswork. Our room was lovely with a fireplace and huge bathroom (clawfoot tub and shower).Bed was comfy and room was toasty.
We never left the building the entire weekend but heard raves about the outdoor hot tub and the skating rink.
A downside- thought that the gym was a bit lacking given that it is part of the award winning spa. Heard good things about the FREE exercise classes ( really offended at being charged for these in other resorts).
We will be back next year for jazz- hopefully will take advantage of some of the extras...Once they complete the renovation, the place will be even better!

Room Tip: I probably would ask to be away from children since the walls are somewhat thin.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

My arrival was warm and informative. The meals included with the stay were far beyond my expectations. World class spa and swimming pool kept us busy and well satisfied. Great price value. Worthy of adding to your bucket list.

• Stayed January 2012
new york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

After a lot of research my husband and I had decided to stay at the Mohonk mountain house to celebrate our One year wedding anniversary. This was a very special day for the both of us and wanted to celebrate it in style. We had heard good things about the *resort* and had decided to pay the $474 nightly rate for the occasion. Given its price we had expected class as well as comfort. On our way to your resort, we were also thinking that if this place is as good as I hear (and read on tripadvisors), we could do this more often.

But, once we entered our room we were shocked to see the condition of the room we were in. We were given Room # 313... My husband and I travel a LOT and we have never stayed in a room that was in worst condition than this one. The mold is visible everywhere... in the bathroom heater, outside the bath tub lining... There was even a chip in the bathroom tub. I would suggest someone visit this room and inspect the unsanitary condition this room is in. The first night I arrived (on November 18th), I could not sleep at all - all I kept thinking is that we left our beautiful apartment in Manhattan to come stay in this!

Additionally, I had made a special order for a 'celebration cake" at the time of the reservation as a surprise for my husband. Since it was a surprise I had requested a specific time for it to be delivered to the room. The time that I had double checked with the front desk was between (9:30 am and 9:45am on November 20th). This time was specifically picked so that we could go to the couple massage (@ 10:30) after we cut the cake. I waited and waited (and kept giving excuses to my husband to not ruin the surprise) but the cake never arrived. Eventually I gave up and made an excuse to sneak out an hour later to tell the front desk to send the cake up NOW. This completely ruined what I had planned as a surprise and resulted in us having to skip the couple message. Timing is critical to any surprise - unfortunately for us this was overlooked !! Overall, the front desk staff was not very helpful.. Both my husband and I felt that this was the case.

Sad reality is ... Most hotels would have upgrade us if they knew it was for a one year wedding anniversary... but here I feel we were downgraded instead.

Our experience at the Mohonk mountain house was not all bad... the food was delicious, the dinning and the concierge staff were very friendly and the activities were a lot of fun. We live couple of hours away ... and would have loved to have a place like this to go back to. Unfortunately, our overnight stay (totaling of $1600 for 2 nights) was a very high price to pay for a less than basic room...

If we ever come back... it will only be to have a meal... and I would never consider recommending anyone to stay over... The way I look at it now... it makes more sense to stay at a Bed and breakfast nearby and have a meal at mohonk and enjoy the activities for a cheaper and more comfortable experience.

This is the first time I have given feedback for any resort... Unfortunately, I felt it was necessary this time around.

Note: This exact email was sent to mohonk mountain house as soon as we returned back home (on november 25th) and they completely ignored it!!!

Room Tip: get a tour of the room before you check in... Personally, I recommend staying somewhere else for a c...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
30.1 km away
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
8.0 km away
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!