“I really wanted to like it.”
Review of Tokyo Sushi

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tokyo Sushi
Ranked #58 of 104 Restaurants in New Paltz
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

We were up in New Paltz for a college visit and the tour ran long. But not long enough for places that opened for dinner to be open yet. The prospective student asked for Japanese food. I went to TripAdvisor to see what was around. Our first choice wasn't open yet so we went here. We both ordered appetizers. The shumai and the calamari. The shumai we're fine. The waitress brought out what looked like onion rings. No, that was the calamari. No, it wasn't good. They we're rubbery and had no taste. The dipping sauce was too salty. We ordered rolls, one spicy shrimp and one great dragon.the shrimp one was was fine. My sushi came out on fire. Yes, you read that correctly. On. Fire. My sushi roll came on tin foil with an alcohol fire. I have two issues with this beyond the gimmicky ness of it: safety - alcohol burn nearly invisibly. It was a good 2 mins before I was sure the fire was out. Second: it's sushi! It's not supposed to be cooked (for the most part) or hot. Because my companion's meal was fine, I'm giving them an average. If it was just me, it would have been a terrible score.

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed 23 October 2017

Went here for lunch as the other recommended place was closed. Service wasn't good - they forgot one of the appetizers, then one of the sides which they made and served after we had finished our meal. Food was mediocre, nothing special. Would not go back.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

I told the waitress it was our daughter's birthday .. that didn't seem to matter .. whooohooo.. depressing long wait for watery salads..the food was only passable & glad we didn't get sick..things that should've been hot were warm..bland .. tough as rubber shrimp that was left to sit for awhile ..the waitress was trying but couldn't keep up with everything ..this restaurant needs interior cosmetic improvement near the hibachi area ..man walking around touching table stuff but did not help waitress..so depressing, will not return

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

The service here was good and they made the sushi surprisingly fast. The sushi tasted absolutely amazing and I wouldn't recommend anywhere else to go get sushi.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 26 January 2017

Stopped in for the first time, wanting something different than the dinner, and discovered they had hibachi tables. A slow weekday night, we were seated immediately. Ordered a shrimp and calamari, and steak and chicken combo dinners. Prices very good for the quantity received. All the ingredients for the dinner were very fresh! We ordered extra vegetables and noodles which turned out to be too much. Also ordered a vegetarian pickle roll which was tasty. Service was somewhat lagging. We'll be back.

Date of visit: January 2017

Been to Tokyo Sushi? Share your experiences!