“Another One Bites the DUST !!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ume Sushi Hibachi Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 5 March 2016

Another Sushi Hibatchi place that has fallen !! #1 the location was terrible, back end of a strip mall that had no exposure !! I knew they were failing when I took my family there on Mother's Day at 5 pm and we didn't have to wait for a seat and there were only about 15 people in the place !! Oh well
RIP U Me Sushi I am off to Cho Cho San

Reviewed 17 October 2015

We visit this place when we are visiting family while travelling. They are a Hibachi style Japanese restaurant where the cook puts on quite a show. The food is always good and plentiful and children really enjoy the theatrics as meals are being prepared.

Reviewed 18 May 2015

The food is good and highly rated out here. Sushi and Hibachi style Japanese. But I want to give this place special kudos because of how well they treated this wayfaring stranger. I was ultimately up here in Nanuet for an anniversary party but arrived early. So I took a long, humid walk from my hotel and decided to chill out at the bar. I was not yet "cleaned up" in my party clothes, so I looked like a warm, rather sweaty older guy still in my golf shirt and shorts and sneakers. I ordered a drink and some napkins to dry off. It was a bit warm inside. Without judging by appearances and without my asking, the hostess/bartender turned up the air-conditioning. Then she sweetly turned on the TV above my stool and handed me the remote. It was like one of those high end shops on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, where regardless of appearance you are well treated because you might be (And probably are) some weird, eccentric millionaire. Only at Ume Japanese Restaurant, it was clear I was no millionaire, but the kindness emanated from an innate politeness and a welcome splash of humanity. I felt like a welcomed guest and was treated that way all the way through...I guess just because I am another person. Thanks.

1  Thank TommyBoy94
Reviewed 5 April 2015

Spent Easter Dinner with my wife, mother (85), Son and Granddaughter at this restaurant and it is five star on all counts. My son is a manager at a local hotel and he recommended the place so highly we had to try it.

We live in NY so hibachi restaurants are hardly a novelty to us. There are 12 within 20 miles of my house but this was the best we have ever visited, bar none.

FOOD: start with the Japanese Onion soup which, unlike the usual Miso dishwater, actually has body and flavor. Salad is comparable to other restaurants of this genre. However, the entrees are a serious cut above the rest for flavor. Quantity is consistent with the genre.

We tend to order expensive stuff. The Filet/Lobster was excellent ($37.50). The Steak/Lobster ($34.75) also excellent and actually cooked to order. Two chicken dishes were right there for taste.

Another difference here is the desert carte. Most hibachi places give you a choice of chocolate or vanilla ice cream or pineapple, both with green tea. U-Me offers coffee plus things like cheese cake, chocolate cake and a hugely delicious fried ice cream. All of this comes with the dinner so it's not costing you an extra dime.

SERVICE: Again, excellent. Involved without being intrusive. The staff knows how to be available without hanging over your shoulder. Really 10+

Also, the owner, Margaret (which I suspect is a pseudonym- LOL) touches every table and goes out of her way to assure you are comfortable throughout the entire dining experience.

Dinner for four adults and one 3 year old, with drinks, wine and tax was $245.00 + tip. Based on food and service, this is absolute 5 star value in the NY area. You can do the place for a lot less money if, unlike us, you avoid the most expensive entrees or alcohol. They also have a unique "Family Hibachi Dinner" for 4-12 people at roughly $30.00/ person. THAT is a serious bargain.

All in all, on a cost/value basis, this is a true 5 sta deal. Just be aware that hibachi restaurants are not the quietest places in the business.

My family and I will be back without a moment of hesitation and will drag friends there whenever possible.

Reviewed 24 March 2015

Japanese hibachi restaurants seem to be a popular choice for birthday dinners in our family (especially for the kids), and Ume is the only place we'll go. The food here is just as good (if not better) than the other more well-known hibachi restaurants in the area (like Mount Fuji or Kiku), but the prices are MUCH MUCH better here.