Montauk Manor
Montauk Motel(Montauk)
A Wave Inn(Montauk)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsindoor poolfront deskoff seasonplayer pianohistoric hotelcourtesy vantennis courtsfull bathroomsexercise roomfree shuttleone bedroom suiteshuttle servicefirst floorbeautiful roomliving areasmall kitchenlong island
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 March 2012

There is nothing worse than arriving at your hotel after a long and tiring journey, and being greeted by reception staff who obviously regard guests as an imposition.

Throughout our stay at this lumbering white elephant, inconveniently situated on a hill overlooking the town of Montauk, our family were made to feel as though we were a nuisance. Even the smallest request met with gruffness by reception staff who preferred to chat among themselves or lurk in a small room hidden from the view of guests. On one occasion, we were given erroneous advice on travelling to a nearby town. In the end, we relied on the town's tiny but very friendly tourist centre for virtually all our needs during a weekend stay.

Not all the staff at Montauk during our stay were guest-phobic. The life-guard in the hotel's small swimming pool was a pleasure to deal with, and the drivers who ferred guests to and from the station were unfailingly polite.

But reception is the mouthpiece of a hotel. It is both the first and last impression a guest will leave with. At Montauk Manor, a serious overhaul of reception culture is needed. We will not be returning to this hotel, nor recommending it to friends.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lagarde
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Ten years ago my children gave my wife and I a gift weekend for Christmas and we have been back every year since. The history is amazing,the grounds and views beautiful, and on a cold winter day to sit in the lobby,listen to the player piano and read a good book is another world.A MUST take a walk through the path and visit the Indian cemetery. Perfect all year round, but winter is my favorite!!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My family and I stayed here this past week (2/20-2/23). We were in a 1 bedroom duplex. There was a special going on for this week , pay for 2 nights and get 1 free. All I can say is WOW.... Great service, great accommodations. Room was great - mattress a bit stiff- but overall awesome. Alot of families staying there this week and my daughter was able to make friends. We went to town to eat not too many choices but we made do. Gurneys is always open for food pricey but delicious. Overall, if u want a luxury feel without the huge price, stay here. Plus the place is historical.
-Chris

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 1 February 2012

This was our Christmas gift to each other. This was our second stay at this outstanding haven. We were greeted at the front desk by Chelsea who was kind and understood exactly what type of room we were looking for and furnished us with such a room. This is the most perfect place to stay during the winter ( you never have to leave the hotel) for example; the hotel has a great gym and a pool to die for. If you are not a swimmer you can just relax in the whirlpool. The Lifeguard who is employed by the hotel (Jeff) was very full of information. He actually told us that we would never have to take our car in town for they have a free shuttle who takes you to and from town. This is extremely important if you would like to go into town and enjoy a few cocktails. We would like to thank Janice the general manager for supplying us with the same room that we had last year it meant so much to us. Looking forward to our Christmas gift 2012
w

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John M
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Went here for my birthday, my girlfriend had surprised me with getting us a room for the night. She knew I really wanted to go here because I had a friend who had passed away and he was a huge fan of the movie, the poem, and the song with "meet me in Montauk" quote in it. The room was more amazing than I imagined it was going to be. It was so clean and smelled nice, everything was in order, the service was great and so were the people. The only thing that was a little strange was when we decided to walk around the manor, we went into the strange mirrored elevator and walked around on the top creepy floor where it kind of reminded me of the shining, but that also could have been because it was 2 days before Christmas and no one was really there. I imagine if you go during the warmer months it is much more prettier outside on the person balcony we had, and would probably have been much more romantic with a fire out there too. The town was also great, there was plenty of stores and we stopped at the Irish pub they had there and the food was really good there.

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms are much better, and you also get your own person balcony's unlike other floors.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple