“Cruise the vineyards of the North Fork of Long Island!”

Shinn Estate Vineyards
Ranked #8 of 20 things to do in Mattituck
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Our son goes to university on Long Island, and for 4 years, I've been telling my husband, 'we've gotta visit some of the vineyards before he graduates!' Well, senior year is here and we finally did some research, got a map and started our treasure hunt.
Just pick a fair weather weekend-- it doesn't have to be fall or warm, and discover some new vintages.. In general, we found the NYT reviews reliable, but at the end of the day, it depends on what you are looking for. Some vineyards go for groups, limos & DJ's [perhaps to offset the mediocre wine], whereas others - notably the VERY understated Waters Crest in a tiny strip mall [Cutchogue] not only has several 'best in class' wines, but sells to the St. Regis [NYC] - outstanding!
Some vineyards have the most lovely interiors, high beamed ceilings, natural wood western-style construction [Martha Clara] selling all manner of wine-related products. This vineyard has a wide selection of wines of moderate quality.
Lenz Winery [Peconic] is worth a look - beautiful setting and relaxing environment.
We were disappointed in Vineyard 48, but perhaps the media hype ramped our expectations unfairly.
Shinn Estate [Mattituck], on the other hand, has a gorgeous fermenting room with huge brushed metal vats and long tables where you can taste amongst the equipment looking out onto the regimented rows of grapevines. Shinn has several delightful wines across the spectrum - Red, Rose & White. Their most unique offering is 'Coalescence' , a white wine made of red grapes. It is delightful not only as a cold, crisp summer wine, but also as an aperitif - not very sweet, but crisp and slightly soft at the same time.
Perhaps the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of scale of operation and geography is One Woman Winery [Southold] not far from the Orient Pt Ferry. Tastings are held in a simple [kind of intimate] red cabin, and in fine weather under a scrap of a canopy or out on the lawn. Charming and rustic, but not a huge selection. Go for the reds, and try to pay cash as the wireless coverage is spotty at best.
We spent about 45 -90 min at each vineyard and had no trouble hitting six places in one day!
If you're looking to give someone a unique holiday gift, take them for a weekend ride to a few of the Long Island Vineyards. There are a couple on the South Fork that looked interesting, but we ran out of time - and the designated driver was getting woozy....
If you can't make the trip visit them online and assemble a special selection of wines for a family member or friend and you will be the toast of the party!
Cheers!

"north fork"
in 11 reviews
"cheese plate"
in 4 reviews
"answered all our questions"
"bed and breakfast"
"farmhouse"
in 6 reviews
"patio"

Reviewed 10 November 2011

great winery, had lunch outside with a few bottles of wine

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I was impressed with the winery because of their all-green efforts in creating a sustainable and organic wine.

However, almost every wine I tried was extremely sulphuric which bothered me a bit but maybe I just need to get used to it. Overall, a nice experience.

Reviewed 12 July 2009

Every year my friends and I, about ten ladies, plan a trip out to the Long Island Vineyards. This trip always is a fun time for us to catch up and relax. This year, we decided to add Shinn Estate Vineyards to our itinerary. Although we did not stay at the "inn" we had a horrible experience with the vineyard and the tasting room. My advice: if you need somewhere to stay on the East End, please try The Harvest Inn Bed and Breakfast instead of Shinn Estate Vineyards. The owners of The Harvest Inn actually want your business and want you in their home! As indicated in previous reviews the owners of Shinn Estate Vineyards are weird, shallow and just plain odd!
This place is off the beaten path and when you do visit the vineyard the owners act like you are intruding on their private space.

Despite making a reservation two weeks in advance, and confirming on the day of the trip, our limo was turned away from Shinn Vineyards because the owner claimed we were "too intoxicated" to do a tasting. This accusation is totally false, especially since we had just come from a two hour lunch at Macari Vineyards (extremely accommodating) and were with our friend that is eight months pregnant. The owner was haughty, rude, pretentious and annoyed that our limo driver "did not know his way around the Shinn property." We promptly turned around and went to enjoy the other accommodating and friendly vineyards on the east end such as Martha Clara and Raphael. I will not be surprised when Shinn Vineyards goes out of business in a couple of months.

There was absolutely no need for the owner to be so incredibly arrogant or rude to a group of outgoing women willing to give a hole in the wall, out of the way vineyard some business! Since the owner literally insulted me with his explanations and then ran away from me when I asked why we were not allowed to do a tasting, I must surmise that he did not want a group of Hispanic and African American women on his property. If you do decide to visit Shinn Estate Vineyards do not be surprised if you encounter the same type of rude and discriminatory behavior from the owners!

4  Thank metadatachick