“Great BBQ, THE BEST CORNBREAD”

John Brown Smokehouse
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

I've been to John Brown Smokehouse twice now, and it is delicious. The BBQ is good but the cornbread is what I came back for. I would argue it is the best cornbread out there. So many BBQ places serve a dense and dry piece of cornbread that you have to slather with butter to even eat. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind a reason to soak something in butter but this time it just isn't right. Cornbread should be moist, soft, with chunks of corn mixed in. And that is exactly how they do it here! Theirs is so soft, so moist, it's almost on the verge of being something like a corn bread pudding. It is worth a trip just to eat this.

The BBQ is really good as well. This last time I got a sliced brisket sandwich with my large side of cornbread. Although I prefer a brisket with a little pink to it still, they serve theirs well done, which is common. With the 1/2 lb sandwich and the large side of cornbread it was really more than I should have done. They are generous with the meet but at $18 for both I'd hope so. Their main BBQ sauce is delicious as well. Not as peppery as say a Texas style, but still very rich and flavorful. They have a spicey option too that has a good chili kick to it.

Definitely will be back again, and again, and again. My favorite style of food (BBQ) with the best cornbread ever made, what could beat this?

1  Thank pilotman06

Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

I am a frequent visitor to john brown smokehouse whenever i am in the area, the sauce is great the chicken is great. The only issue is the last couple of times I ordered the pecan wings it appears that the wings may not have been as clean as I would have liked, my fiancee pointed out to me that most if the wings had some remnants of fine hairlike feathers on them and that was a big turnoff for her. I dont know how they clean the wings or the cooking process does not butn them off but now that I noticed it i cant say it's something i can overlook. I will gove them a try again and hopefully they can get it right otherwise i would give them 5 stars

Reviewed 13 December 2016 via mobile

Located in an area resembling a demilitarised zone, this restaurant was a chode's distance from my lodging and I drunkenly stumbled upon it.

A legion of workers greet you as you enter and the sweet aroma of burning pig fat knocks you for 6. The menu is vast but burnt ends are what I want and as I slurred out my order to the Mexican lad on the till, he said there was a deal with two sides.

'Sounds good to me hombre' I belched.

'I'll have a Mr Pib whilst your at it amigo'

To my surprise the grub was served next to instantly and was fairly pricey, over $20 which was my daily limit across the board. I sat there visibly fuming, I had felt like I had been hoodwinked. As I shovelled the meat, coleslaw (it's not like we have it in Blighty) and collared greens (what the hell are they?), my mind cast it's way back to times when I didn't have such luxury.

Living week to week on the dole and a dishonourable discharge to my name, being here wasn't that bad I guess and to be fair the meat was extremely tender. Two chubby cops sat behind me and I engaged in conversation. I asked if I could hold one of their guns and despite me reassuring them I had decades of firearm training, they mugged me off.

Certainly go here if you are staying at the local hostel. Think it closed at 9, certainly that was the time I was asked to leave. Staff seem like a tight knit bunch which in many ways I admire.

Reviewed 19 November 2016

The expectations were high but I was not disappointed. The notorious burnt ends were tender, juicy and smokey, while the side orders of corn bread and collard greens were good too. The place has a local feeling, it's not just another hipster hangout. You have to get your food and drinks from (different) counters, but I guess that's usual in bbq restaurants. The staff is nice. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

This spot is the best kept secret in LIC. I worked here for 2 years and had never heard of it until one day I over heard some attorney's talking about it. I jotted down the name and the rest is history! The food here is really good! Everything I've had on the menu, including their collard greens was delicious.

Now, the burnt ends get their own paragraph, that's just how good they are. They are so tender & flavorful that they melt in your mouth! Like seriously, you don't even need a side with them!

Try this place out, you won't be disappointed!