All reviews maggie's pub relais chateaux owls head half bottle of wine pastry chef new ownership s'mores kits boat tour stone fireplace soaking tub whiteface mountain cross country adirondack style each morning turn down service cookies spent three nights
Reviewed 5 January 2016

Room in main lodge was extraordinarily comfortable. Very spacious, nice fireplace (real wood, not gas), super-large bathroom, hand-crafted furniture and decorations. Staff ready to do anything without any negotiation. Nice upscale, ski lodge-type bar. Excellent restaurant.

Room Tip: In the cold of winter, a room in the lodge would be better than in one of the cabins, although the cabins are larger and more private.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Scott L, Owner at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2016

Dear Bob K,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We try to extend that Adirondack-feel to all of our guests. Thank you for embracing it. We hope to see you again real soon.

Scott

Reviewed 29 December 2015

This review will cover multiple facets of the LP Lodge. I have stayed at the Lodge twice (August 2013 and January 2015), dined there at least a dozen times in the past few years, and had my wedding there in September 2015. First, the accommodations -- My husband and I have stayed in the Treetop Suite and Lakeside Suite. Both were unique, extremely comfortable, and well-decorated. The Treetop Suite bathroom was particularly beautiful in the winter (a high ceiling and lots of windows). The grounds are lovely, no matter what the season. The Lodge itself is cozy yet grand at the same time. Second, the food: Both the restaurant and Maggie's Pub are consistently delicious. We prefer Maggie's Pub because of the comfy couches and ambience. There are always interesting cocktail, wine, and beer selections and the bartenders and services are very nice. We have never had a bad (or average) meal at the Lodge. Third, our wedding: Obviously I am biased, but it was the best wedding I have ever been to:) Our 50 guests were easily accommodated in the Adirondack Room, Bootlegger Room, and adjoining terrace. The setting couldn't have been more beautiful. The food was fantastic -- not a bad appetizer or entree. Almost every guest remarked on the high quality of the cuisine, even the passed canapés. Chris, the Event Planner, was very helpful and professional. He made great suggestions and was always accessible to my husband, who worked with him on food selections and day-of logistics. Without reservation, I would recommend the Lodge for vacation, dinner, or any special occasion.

Stayed: September 2015
Brian H, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2015

Dear RobinB2016,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. More importantly, congratulations on your recent marriage! We were delighted to host your wedding and be part of such a wonderful day! We wish many years of happiness and hope to welcome you back to the Lodge soon!

Reviewed 25 December 2015

We thoroughly enjoyed our two night stay at LPL. The lodge exudes quiet elegance and comfort. We left well-rested and relaxed and hope to visit again. Note: We also stayed at Mirror Lake Inn, which I also have reviewed.

Given it was winter, we opted to stay in the main lodge, in a lodge king room, feeling it would be more convenient for dining should the weather be inclement. Our room was spacious and included a wood-burning fireplace, luxurious bathroom with a large shower and separate soaking tub, and a private balcony with lake view. The decor of the room was fabulously rustic yet upscale. The bed linens were sumptuous and we slept very well. There was no TV, a plus to me.

Robes and slippers, a daily snack, night-time nibble and nice toiletries (L'Occitane) are provided.

We arrived after dark so we could not get a sense of the lovely property until we awoke the next morning and saw snow on the ground and the beautiful lake. I think we would have struggled a little finding the lodge in the dark without GPS.

All of the rooms and cabins seem to have great views. If I was visiting in a non-winter month and if my budget allowed it, I would opt for a lake front cabin, assuming it is decorated as nicely as the lodge rooms.

The staff is warm and friendly. It snowed lightly both nights we were there. Each morning we saw staff clearing off the vehicles.

We used LPL as a base for hiking (since there was not enough snow during our visit for winter sports). On our last morning, we walked the Jack Rabbit trail adjacent to the lodge. Convenient little trail system that can also be used for mountain biking.

Hearty breakfasts are provided. On our first night we had a nice dinner in Maggie's Pub. Casual attire is fine in both Maggie's Pub and at breakfast. Our second night we ate at a good meal at Whiteface Lodge which was about a 3 minute drive away. The Whiteface resort is lovely and has many activities to keep kids entertained, making it a nice option for families. But it lacks the gorgeous lake views, quietude and rustic charm of Lake Placid Lodge. I was happy with our lodging choice.

Finally, there was a very entertaining and informative "Birds of Prey" presentation on Saturday afternoon. A bird expert brought three different types of owls into the lodge and educated the guests about them. We were able to pet one of the owls who thinks it is a human (or that we are owls).

I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for some R&R and quiet luxury.

Dear Deb G,
Thank you so much for your detailed review. We would absolutely agree with you that the Lodge is the perfect place to experience peace and quiet in a beautiful setting. We hope to see you soon and maybe with a little more snow!

Reviewed 20 December 2015

My husband and I wanted to make a long weekend reservation for our 25 year wedding anniversary at the Lodge as we have been there a number of times of the years for special occasions and always loved it. We noticed on their website that their prices have gone up significantly so I called the lodge to see if they had a special or if they might honor returning customers. I called and was left on hold in a loop on the phone for at least 15 minutes and then when reservations answered she put me on hold 3 more times. Finally I had her attention and explained that we had been there over the years and wanted to return for a 25 year wedding anniversary. She was very impersonal and basically gave us the rates that are on line and said there are no special rates or "attention" for return customers and the only "deal" was if we paid now in full now (11 month in advance) for the room with non refundable rates.

We were surprised and disappointed with this and we know that the former owners would have certainly treated us more personally and we would likely be celebrating our anniversary there. Not to mention this is supposed to be a Relais & Châteaux property...really?

4  Thank BostonJulia

Dear BostonJulia,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am so sorry for the difficulties you experienced trying to make a reservation. I am happy to personally assist you in securing a reservation, please contact me directly at bhunt@lakeplacidlodge.com and I will be more than delighted to help.

Reviewed 19 December 2015 via mobile

My husband and I decided on a night in LP and splurged on the Lake Placid Lodge for one night. We stayed in the Pine Lodge, it was beautiful. Big, comfy bed, fireplace in room, 2 bathrooms! The soaps are L'Occitane- my favorite! We visited during the snowy winter so we couldn't utilize our front porch really, but had a perfect view of the lake. We ate dinner at Maggie's Pub onsite, I love mojitos and Laurie, our bartender, makes the BEST blueberry mojitos! Spent some time lounging in the lodge itself, there are so many rooms and special outdoor seating that we could enjoy by the fireplaces. Just an amazing, amazing place. Had breakfast delivered through room service, it was included in the room rate. Decided we will spend one weekend a year here from now on to treat ourselves. It was totally worth it!

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Aubrey H,
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you had such an amazing time with us. Also, thank you for the nice comments about Lori, I will be sure to let her know how much you enjoyed her mojito's! We look forward to seeing on your now annual trip!

Warm Regards,