“Plenty of vegetarian options”

Aladdins Natural Eatery
Ranked #76 of 272 Restaurants in Ithaca
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Reviewed 25 May 2017

I've had a craving for falafel for awhile now. My husband previously suggested this place several weeks back, but I wrote it off in favor of another restaurant (one I'll never visit again, mind you).

Sort of annoyed at myself for missing the chance to have this several weeks ago. The food is delicious, and it traveled home with us well - even during Ithaca College's graduation weekend, they were still pumping out good food. I got the vegetarian combo, with falafel, hummus, baba ganough, and toasted ravioli. The hummus was a bit salty, but not enough that it turned me off. Otherwise, the food was pretty tasty and certainly hit the spot. My husband had wanted the spanakopita, but they'd run out, so he got the gamberi instead. Unfortunately, they forgot the shrimp, which he didn't discover until he'd gotten home, and by then, he was so tired that he didn't go back for them. I understand that they were likely busy; it was just a frustration for him.

I think we'll try to come back one more time before we move away from the area at the end of June.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

Stopped in around 5 PM on a Saturday for dinner. Getting a seat was no problem. The food came out quickly and was very good. I had the Spanikopita with the Mediterranean Salad, which was a very tasty dish. My husband had a bowl of chili (a meal in itself for approx. $5), and a large salad. Everything was very good. Service was average. The dining room is open, not private. You can easily hear other people's conversations.

Reviewed 29 November 2016

A go to place for excellent middle eastern food; well run, mix of middle eastern, greek, turkish foods. Wide range of foods covering soups, appetizers, sandwiches, full meals. Excellent choices for meat eaters and veggies. Various petas and does serve beer and wine. Suggest giving the menu a good review - lots to consider here. Have never been disappointed and have been using this restaurant for well over two decades.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

The Pita Chips were great. The prices were reasonable. The Gyro Pita was ok. The service wasn't very good.

Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

I first visited Aladdin's in the late 1990s and visited many times between then through about 2012. I was always delighted by their fresh food and generous portions. I loved their mezze and soups and salads and pitas. The restaurant was always busy and bustling and the fresh food always bursting with flavor. Over the past year I have visited twice for dinner. Both meals were awful. Whoever is cooking now simply doesnt know Greek or Mediterranean food. I had the gazpacho to start. It USED to be a succulent perfectly seasoned/spiced soup with a rich crushed/pureed tomato base. Today it was a thin tomato juice, straight from a jar. And except for a few chunks of fresh tomato and cucumber, the rest of the veggies were small and hard and difficult to identify. None of the succulent local bounty had made its way into my house soup. I also had a mediterranean salad with "grilled slices of marinated eggplant." Nothing grilled about the hot mush of eggplant on my salad greens. It tasted vaguely of eggplant and it was hot at first and then just sour and mushy. There were no olives. Served on a large plate, the salad seemed sparse. In the past, this plate would be heaping with a variety of fresh greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, feta, and more. I could've slid today's whole salad onto a plate half the size without any of it overflowing. ALSO--the salad came with 2 or 4 very small triangles of tasteless generic pita (as did the soup, with 2 such triangles). My dinner companion (who got a different salad) asked for more pita--and received 4 more of these same little triangles--and was charged 50 cents for them. When I saw the charge, I asked why. The server said it's how they're supposed to do it. I doubt there's another restaurant in Ithaca that charges for the equivalent of a quarter or half slice of bread. Bread baskets are routinely filled in most of the places I eat. So I won't be going back. It is definitely not the delicious food oasis it used to be.

1  Thank 965judy