“Met our expectations”

GreenLeadersGold level
Hoboken
“Met our expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Fairlawn Inn based on the high reviews and ratings on various web sites, even though the prices were a little bit more expensive than other area accommodations. As such, our expectations were high. This is the second Bed and Breakfast we've ever stayed at, our first being in the Poconos last year. That was a very positive experience which made us want to try another one.

The Fairlawn Inn met our expectations. There were a few spider webs in the room, specifically from the ceiling light fixture to the wall, but nothing of major concern (in fact at the last Bed and Breakfast we stayed at I found a large spider crawling on my pillow, so that's nothing new). My only complaint was that upon checking in after a day of skiing, we were looking forward to being able to take a nice hot shower. I assume other guests had the same idea because neither of us had hot water during our showers. So if you book the room with the two person jacuzzi, I'm not sure if you'll actually have enough hot water to fill it.

As for privacy, we could hear the guests in the adjacent rooms, so don't plan on having too much privacy if that is a concern. However, they were quiet and we were able to go to sleep early, since we were really tired. We utilized the built-in DVD player on the small 21"ish LCD TV in our room for a Netflix movie we brought. However, we were too tired to make it all the way through.

The added touched of a soft drink stocked mini-fridge behind the dry bar downstairs and snacks was a nice touch. Breakfast was good, as well. Chuck was a gracious inn keeper and runs his Bed and Breakfast efficiently. If you're planning to visit Hunter Mountain for skiing or summer-time activities, this location is excellent. From our seat at breakfast we could see the slopes across the street.

Room Tip: Get a room with access to the dining room so you don't have to walk outside in the cold
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank millertime83
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
We appreciate that we met this guests expectation but we try to exceed expectations with each guest when they visit. We did not exceed their expectation on this visit but appreciate their feedback and will continue to try. Sorry about the cobwebs, we inspect each room prior to check in and unfortunately this time we missed that.

About the hot water issue, only on very rare occasions is there not enough hot water. Sometimes guests returning from skiing all use their showers or baths simultaneously and it cannot keep up. Had this guest called, I could have indicated if they waited a few minutes to give the hot water heater time to catch up he would have had all the hot water he needed. We have 80 gallons of 180 degree water in holding tanks but as indicated on rare occasions we do run out when many guests choose to shower at the same time.

About noise, it is an older home and though it has been insulated the type of construction is such that you will hear noises coming from adjacent rooms. Conversations no, but minor noises yes, that is the nature of the beast in an historic home. Normally common courtesies by guests are followed and we get very little complaints about noise.

The Flat Screen (19") TV with expanded cable has a built in DVD player and is an adequate size in my estimation and were just recently updated. Some bed and breakfasts do not have TV's in rooms but we do offer them in all rooms. We have a video library with many choices also. We offer a 32" Flat Screen TV with DVD player in the common area room if guests would like to use that in lieu of the one in their room. Again, we appreciate this and every guests feedback, it is through this feedback that we can strive for a better experience for each guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

We just returned from a 3-day weekend at the Fairlawn Inn. As you can tell from the title we had a fabulous time. My husband and I were greeted at the door by Chuck, the friendly and gregarious owner of the inn. As it was my birthday get-away, my sister had called ahead and arranged for cheese plate and bottle of Presecco be put in out room. When we got upstairs we found a delightful assortment of cheeses, fruit, crackers and sweets. Our room, the Gazebo, was beautiful. We sipped our Presseco while lounging on the fainting couch. From the front 3 windows we had a very pretty view of Hunter Mountain. We stayed there 3 nights and all three nights we slept soundly. The breakfasts, whipped up by Chuck, were fantastic. There were 3 options each time, plus fruit and pastries.

We had gone up to Hunter to cross-country ski but as the snow wasn't the best, Chuck suggested several small hikes we could take. If you are a downhill skier the entrance to Hunter is quite close to the inn--definitely walkable in 5 or so minutes if you aren't lugging gear.

If you are planning a trip to the Catskills and are looking for a beautiful, Victorian inn to stay at, the Fairlawn is a great choice. We'll be back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Josietravels
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
This couple was great to have at the Inn. They were a pleasure to have around, had many conversations and we always like it when guests enjoy the common area rooms. We hope they will return often, next for TAP NY I think. Thanks for the great review - we appreciate your feedback.
Barnegat, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

My husband, son and I stayed at the Fairlawn Inn for one night so we could ski at Hunter Mountain. Chuck the Innkeeper is a wonderful person. The Inn is absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the Rasberry Room which was just charming, extremely comfortable and perfect for three people. I was impressed with the direction the Inn has taken to go green. Chuck recommended places in the area to eat and his recommendation was perfect. My family travels frequently during the year and over the years have stayed at numerous hotels, B&B's and Inns. This Inn is right up there with the best places we have stayed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Ctomajko, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this review, 29 December 2011
Thank you for your kind words about the inn and the innkeeper. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return often.
Washington Crossing, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

I spent one night at the Fairlawn and mostly it was fine. It is an old Inn with creeky steps, sloping floors and lots of wood on the floors, walls and ceilings giving it plenty of character but making it just a wee bit dark for my liking. It also had a musty aroma. Upon arrival I opened the room door for a while and let some fresh air in which helped alot. We had an electric fireplace in our room but couldnt get it going and I didnt want to bother Chuck. It was cold though and our friends in the room next to us had the heat turned up in their room which warmed ours too. The bed was very comfy and cozy. I liked that we entered direct from outside and did not have to trapse through the house to access our room..kinda motel style on the second floor. A second key gave us access to the house through either the front door or a door down the walkway from our room.

Breakfast was indeed Chuck's specialty and he seemed to delight in making it and it was a delight to eat it. Although a bit brusk, Chuck really is warm and friendly and eager to please. After several email interactions, requesting a specific time of arrival, kinda hard to give since we were coming from Ithaca on Motorcycles and it was shortly after Irene with many road blocks, I gave him a half hour notice when we were close and added after all this, he should have beers waiting then clearly stated "this is a joke" since emails can be misinterpreted. HE HAD SIX beers on ice waiting for us upon arrival...and after balking at my request for coffee, earlier than he wanted to put it out...He had it waiting for me with 2 kinds of cream and sugar when I came down somewhere between 6:30 and 7. Breakfast was at 8. He is a big guy, teddy bear style....lots of bluff but soft and mushy. I know and can appreciate this personality well, as I am a little rough around the edges myself.
THANK YOU CHUCK for a most pleasant evening in a grand old house. Have fun at the auctions.

Room Tip: ask chuck for a recommendation
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rivernan
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We went here for Bluestock festival in August 2011, unfortunately during hurricane Irene. Chuck was a very welcoming innkeeper and during the hurricane he was very hospitable and went out of his way to make us feel comfortable, making our stay very enjoyable despite the hurricane. The inn itself is spacious and homely and well situated within Hunter, and the food is delicious. We would definitely return! David and Izzy.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunter
1.7 km away
5.8 km away
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter

Been to Fairlawn Inn? Share your experiences!