Open today: 11:00 - 15:00
Review Highlights
Great Hudson Valley Site

This site is one of the jewels of New York State. The house is very interesting and guides are very... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Hamradio1957
Pearl River, New York
Beautiful

Location, setting, home, landscape, all were very beautiful. Definitely worth a visit to gain a... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
MJR1964
Boston, Massachusetts
via mobile

All reviews frederic church the hudson river school house tour thomas cole catskill mountains landscape painter rip van winkle original furnishings moorish architecture hudson ny fascinating house carriage trails explore the grounds home tour gift shop beautiful site american art
Reviewed 19 October 2017

A remarkable property including grounds, with tour. My only reservation, possibly unjustified, is that one comes away with no appreciation of Church the artist. This tour focuses mostly upon the house - its history, construction, habitation, and ultimate restoration. There are some Church paintings inside, none major?, and they are uniformly poorly lit. I believe that this is from a desire to show the house in it's original state which is more often than not a dark, Persian-Victorian affair. Also, some tour time was devoted to a touring exhibit from South America, not really pertinent to why one visits Olana. But . . . we enjoyed the visit and would recommend it.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

I was very surprised as I wasn’t sure what to expect. The mention is gorgeous and the environment is beautiful and very peaceful. If you need a peace and serenity this is the right place. Love the story behind it too. It belonged to a family of artists who faced big tragedy. I’ll certainly come back and i strongly recommend.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

I was looking for something unique to do with a friend from the Lake George area while I was visiting home in Albany, NY.

I had very briefly been to the Hudson area four years ago and thinking it had a cool liberal vibe for Upstate New York.

I needed to find something to do for the day to entertain my friend and me. I looked on Trip Advisor and discovered Olana was a mere hour drive from where I was staying.

I read that tickets book up fast, but I was lucky to secure our tour tickets online the night before we went since it was for a Friday. Tickets for adults are $9 and you are provided with a 1 hour guided tour. We reserved the tickets online for free and paid for them at the gift shop when we arrived.

Our guide was good and told us some great stories about the history of the home and its owners. I'm not an art connoisseur by any means, but I did love seeing the paintings inside the house and learning about the story behind some of them.

I visited Turkey in 2013, so I have an appreciation for Middle Eastern style and art. The house has a good amount of this, which I really enjoyed.

I especially loved the architecture and design of the exterior of the home. It must have been amazing to live in this gorgeous house with the beautiful views of the Hudson River. I love how the house appears to have been specifically designed to capitalize on the sweeping views of the river and the mountains.

The grounds of the house are beautiful! It was chilly the day we went, so I wasn't up for wandering the grounds, but there seem to be some great walking trails. If it had been 65 and sunny, I would have loved to explore more.

The city of Hudson itself is really cool and has a great NYC vibe to it. I myself really appreciated all of the signs displayed by the shops about hope and messages of tolerance. It's a great little city with lots of art galleries and funky restaurants.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Go do this! what a great experience- worth it- also took the electric carriage tour of the grounds... they are expansive

1  Thank autumn c
Reviewed 7 October 2017

I'm a huge Thomas Cole fan, so I had to see Olana. Bright and colorful mix between an art museum and a history museum.