See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 August 2018

So I've read these comments after staying in the place this past Monday night (July 30 2018), and I feel bad for the people having these terrible reviews up from years ago. I found the place on line by searching for the lowest-priced place in the middle of my long drive; the allure of spending the night in a place called Horseheads was part of it. It was just what I wanted it to be. The room was small and modest, with one large bed, but attractively decorated for a motel. Enough light, good lamps everywhere, fine mirror, and the very welcome feature that the unwalled, curtained shower stall was big enough for comfort and the stream of water went where one wanted it to go, not all over the floor. The door locked effectively and chained. New TV and a really good range of cable channels (the last motel I had stayed in, in Georgia in May, had a horrible limited array, mostly sports and preaching and shopping channels). I also loved the fact that when I turned the TV on, the channel that came up was PBS, though I presume this is the virtue of the last guest and not the owners. The price, in this day and age!, was indeed just $50 plus tax. Very quiet; a distant hum of traffic from the contiguous elevated part of Route 17/I-86, but a tranquil night. The mattress was harder than I like, but sleepable, and many people like that style.
Maybe they've improved it since some of these reviews. I found no stains, smells or bugs, or drug deals in the empty back lot. (And I would have noticed: I'm a night person and stayed up till four in the morning, and there was nobody.). The little refrigerator was a tad noisy, but welcome because I was carrying a lot of perishable food (emptied my refrigerator for the trip), and it cooled it down beautifully for a midnight snack. The only major deficiency was that the tabletop of the little round table with built-in lamp was wobbly, poorly attached to the central leg. Also the key card to the first room I was given didn't work, and the man had to give me another room, but I've had that elsewhere.
I also noticed the odd fact that I seemed to be almost the only customer there. The man at the desk seemed surprised to see me. The parking lot was empty except for one other car. I wondered whether I was SUPPOSED to be there. But I see from the reviews that this has been an ongoing situation at this place. Yes, I too thought of the immortal name of the Bates Motel, and it seems to be the same situation: the new Interstate sidelined the location. (if you get off I-86 at the nearby exit, there are several other cheap motels between you and this place.) But Norman wasn't around.
If this forlorn paucity of customers has been going on for years, I don't see how they stay in business. But if the nice man who was at the desk when I came in at 10 p.m., and was there again, friendly and helpful about my mail, when I left at 11 a.m., is the owner the other decent reviews talked about, possibly they own the place mortgage free and can hang on. Anyway, if your priority is to have a nice modest room to sleep in for the lowest price, I found almost nothing wrong with this place for that purpose. Indeed, after some of these reviews I feel a sort of underdog affection for it.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2017

Arriving at Motel we were greeted by the pleasant owner. Room was clean but in much need of updating. Bathroom was clean and there was plenty of hot water for shower. Mirror needs replacement. Shower area had mold. Had to unplug Fridge due to making making too much noise to sleep. Continental breakfast could have been better. Packaged pastries, orange juice and coffee was all that was offered. It could use a hot item even fresh bagels, bread or English Muffins with a toaster. Stayed there twice before but will be last time even though price was right but still not enough value.

Room tip: look at room first before choosing
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2016

Hotel room were not cleaned , wall & window has spiders web, but you get what you pay. For the breakfast you do not have multiple choice other than donuts. This was the cheapest hotel available online around Watkins glen. Yeah glen state park is 12mins drive from there and that's the best part of it.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2016

We were a little skeptical due to the reviews. We appeared to be the only ones at the motel that night. Our room was ok.... It is very dated. Linens on the bed and bath towels were all very clean and crisp. Bedspread needed cleaning. The whole motel looks like it needs a good overhaul. The only complaint I had was the bugs in the room. I seen multiple spiders and small beetles. They really should have some sort of pest control in there. I can see past the old outdated rugs, bedspreads and slight mildew smell. But bugs really creep me out. Anyhow, I do travel with Lysol at all times, I will now also start packing bug spray as well if I reserve any rooms with questionable reviews... LOL Oh, front desk man when checking in and lady when checking out were very nice. they offered pre-packaged danishes, muffins in the morning with coffee and orange juice. Great little perk before heading out. I had seen a previous review saying it became a drug lot. We did not hear or see anything out back or on the property that would have caused us to think that. very quiet.

Room tip: We had a room out back, it was ok..
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2016

there are better ones around, but if you do not like, to search for long, take it and have the experience of another motel. rooms are clean, continental breakfast is not according to my wishes, but many others dont offer this.

Room tip: ask at the counter for individual wishes.
Date of stay: August 2015