All reviewsantique shopfor saleboutique hotelmaster suitegranolahistoric centrobreakfast was excellentpersonal attentionperfect locationbed and breakfasthighly recommend this placemodern amenitieswonderful stayhigh ceilingsbeautiful propertysan miguelwalking distance
Reviewed 26 September 2016

Great place, great owners, great breakfast, great room! What more can you ask for in historic CENTRO? Well you could ask for A great spa experience, beautiful flowers, A fascinating antique shop, And perfect location. Casa Del Atrio has it all. Definitelychoosemaster suite with its own in the room double Jacuzzi and balcony. We recommend this hotel to everyone and will return soon!!

Room Tip: Master suite is the definitive choice
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuzieBarry
Reviewed 13 September 2016

This was my second stay at La Casa del Atrio and I was not disappointed. I remembered the gracious attention provided by Antonio and by Rosa and her staff. The lodgings are tranquil, spacious, lovely, and chock full of beguiling antiquities. Everywhere you look there's something new to admire. Breakfasts in the patio are ample and pleasant, recommendations for restaurants and activities are spot on and very helpful.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 13 September 2016

Your journey into another world begins as you enter the quaint Antique shop, filled with amazing things from everywhere and all times. There you are greeted by the owner(s) and after checking you in, they take you through a maze of open hallways between various buildings, with gardens, and sitting areas, each room decorated in a different theme/decor, with a little history about that space, as well as everything you need to know about the Casa and all it has to offer, which including a spa that is both quaint and relaxing in itself, besides the great services offered, including the soaking tubs outside! Our suite had an in room Jacuzzi, that just added to our experience of "chilling out". Then, the next morning you can choose a table in one of the many sitting areas, and a full cooked to order breakfast is served. I recommend staying an extra day just to experience the Casa and all it has to offer, then as many days as you need to see this amazing piece of history call Queretaro!

Room Tip: Everything you need to enjoy your stay with them is included.
Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 9 September 2016

My stay at La Casa was like staying with family. I have stayed here a number of times and can only say it's a wonderful place. I've never had any issues and felt comfortable leaving anything in my room-like staying with family. The last time I stayed was for a family emergency and I can't say enough of how attentive the owner and his staff were to me and my parents. Remember, this is a hotel, not a friend's place or a family member. There was no need or reason to take the amount of care and concern but they did. I would say the room and staff are eclectic and if you want sterile and typical, go to the holiday inn or grand hotel. If you want unique and atypical, consider staying here. I found the review given by Wes from Santa Monica to be a tad harsh. Perhaps he was expecting to stay at a Marriot but didn't want to spend the money which is usually the case for someone who complains to the extent he did. I also find it odd that when you visit another country you would expect everyone to speak English. Here's a thought- maybe you should learn the language instead of "complaining". But alas I am straying away from the point I want to leave you with- this a nice B&B with a caring owner and caring staff. I look forward to my next stay at the Atrio.

Room Tip: Ask for a room further back if you want less noise. Rooms near front have less natural light, but are still nice.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2016

Reading the glowing reviews of La Casa del Atrio might prompt you to book a stay if you were going to Queretaro. That's what I did, in anticipation of my wife's and my stay in early August. I felt confident I was making a good choice -- after all, Trip Advisor has never led me astray before.

Until now. La Casa del Atrio is the number one hotel in Queretaro? Yeah, right. And I'm Benito Juarez.

Let's start with the lobby. The hotel doesn't have one. Instead, you'll be greeted at a cluttered old desk is at the back of a long dark corridor that serves as a second hand furniture store. (It calls itself an antique store, but, truly, it's Salvation Army-grade stuff.)

Then it gets worse: the rooms. We were assigned a gloomy cell, furnished with a weird mishmash of apparent cast offs from the store. We asked to see other options, but they were all much the same. We ultimately had to upgrade (pay more) to get a room with daylight-- it was the only upstairs room and had a jacuzzi tub across from the bed. We decided to make the best of things (at least there was a window to the sky and a nice view of a wall covered with flowers). But the tub drained/leaked continuously with the stopper in place, so the water had to be running at full strength constantly in order to keep the tub semi-full -- that way, the water jets of the jacuzzi didn't manically spray the walls of the living area.

After we called for help, the young man who monitors the store/lobby was called in to fix the stopper, but to no avail. He just shrugged: Lo siento, he said.

Oh, well. The crazy tub gave us a good laugh. We'll just get a good night sleep, we thought, and leave first thing in the morning.

Uh... no. There isn't air conditioning, so mosquitos feast on you all night long, leaving you a sleepless night on a hard mattress with cheap sheets, and a morning of angry welts over any part of your body left uncovered in the warm air.

Here's the best part: this hotel is *more* (!!) expensive than nicer, better run hotels with comparable, or better, locations nearby. (We know this because we walked around and checked rooms and prices after we arrived, in shock after what Trip Advisor had rated the "number one" choice in town.)

Honestly, it should cost around 800 pesos a night -- not the 2450 pesos I ultimately had to paid for a room with daylight (up from the 1850 I paid through the reservation I made on Trip Advisor). This place is like an Airbnb run out of the back of a junk store. Who cares if they have a decent breakfast -- other hotels in the area do too.

This is a harsh review, I realize, and it gives me no pleasure to write it. But if Trip Advisor is going to be of value, it has to be honest. If the TA ranking had been accurate for this establishment (meaning: low) and I stayed there anyway, I wouldn't write a review. But no, the reviews on TA continue to be stratospheric, which makes absolutely no sense. This is an injustice that as a longtime TA user I feel a responsibility to address. I don't want anyone else to be snookered as I was.

Let it be said that the staff at La Casa Del Atrio (Monica, et al) seem nice enough, although you should be aware they speak little English. My wife is Mexican and I speak some Spanish, so this wasn't a problem for us, but it was surprising. (For what it's worth: My wife also thought this was the most peculiar hotel she had ever seen.) The owner, Antonio, wrote me a gracious welcome email in English before I arrived but was nowhere to be found when we got there, although I asked for him and had said I looked forward to meeting him on my arrival.

A couple of other good things worth noting: next door to La Casa del Atrio is a wonderful restaurant, Ticua. And across the street is an old Augustinian convent, justifiably considered one of the loveliest in Latin America and now a free museum of contemporary art.

But don't stay at La Casa del Atrio. Instead, try La Casa de la Marquesa around the corner. It's in a beautiful, historic mansion, with a striking Alhambra-esque lobby and a pleasant dining room -- and it charges less for better service. Or the Gran Hotel, on the Zocalo main square a block or so away. Or another one on that block (the name escapes me) with a small swimming pool. All cheaper, all better.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple