“A lovely place for a drink and killer sunset view”

Valley Restaurant at The Garrison
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Garrison
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2015

I stopped by here on a whim Sunday afternoon. We chose our table out on the deck overlooking a beautiful Hudson Valley view. The rosé I had was the best I've ever had. We ordered the charred shishito peppers with aoli as a snack, and they were addictive. The staff were really friendly and helpful, explaining the various wines and making one friend a specially not-too-sweet margarita. What I most liked was that they were there when we wanted/needed them, but not in our faces when we didn't! And no one pressured us to order more food, or anything. Then the sunset happened... The manager mentioned a Thursday night music thing they do in summer, and I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 5 July 2015

I'm lucky enough to live in the gorgeous hudson valley...BUT, I usually work seven days a week. A friend came in this weekend so four of us decided to have a "vacation" right here. We went on the Manitoga tour, which I strongly suggest. After, we went to Valley Restaurant at The Garrison for lunch and drinks. We had such a great great time!! Ashley made our margaritas exactly as we asked. James Brown entertained and helped us make all the right selections. This group works amazingly well together...geez they've sooo got it together! Today, our same group went to Stonecrop Gardens, late afternoon. We just made it before closing time (those people were so great too)! We all headed for sunset drinks and eats, back to The Valley restaurant. Ashley, Daniel, James Brown....We are so lucky they are here. Honestly, we sat, drank and ate mulling over the weekend, all with such lovely, prompt and most of all kind service. I love the shashito peppers and the crab claws, though yesterday I had possibly the best burger I've had in the past five years. Lyns soup was delish too! This place is elegant and yet so relaxed. The views are amazing. We made reservations for Thursday's music venue...fun! A side note..I feel very good about going here alone to sit at the bar to dine. You know, that says a lot about a place.

1  Thank Jo m
Reviewed 15 June 2015

We had the Charcuterie which was excellent, Tuna Sashimi, which was excellent, Florida Red Snapper with Fiddle Heads, excellent, Maine Lobster Risotto, excellent, and a Chocolate desert that is a Chocoholic's dream.
The food here is arguably the best in metro New York, the view from the deck is gorgeous.
The Only thing that made this less than perfect experience was the service.
While we were enjoying our appetizers our entrees were brought out.
Not acceptable. No apology offered, definitely not acceptable.
Still, all in all, one of the best meals you can ever have.

Reviewed 7 April 2015

We are travelling for 5 months, through Europe and the USA, eating at several Michelin starred restaurants, and this is one of the best meals of our trip, and definitely the best meal we've had in America. The food was as better than the Michelin one starred restaurant in Venice. I would happily drive out of my way from NY to eat here.

The amuse was a Tofu Jerky - which was really unusual, and full of flavour. For our first course we had the scallops and the pork belly, and both were divine - well presented, with rich flavors and well balanced. We shared the Wagyu steak, and it was melt in your mouth delicious - the veal jus packed a flavor punch, and the turnip & truffle puree was divine. My only regret was that we did not get a chance to sample the desert menu, as we were tired from a day at work, and quite full - but the offerings looked delicious.

The food was the star here, with the added bonus that the view was gorgeous - watching the sun go down was a real treat, whilst we sampled cocktails from the bar.

All the staff were top notch - very knowledgeable about the food, and genuinely friendly (although if I post this, my concern is that they will get poached by Michelin starred restaurants, because the front of house staff and the chefs clearly could work in any top restaurant - so it is a real treat to have them in Garrison).

Definitely eat here if you are in the area. Drive here if you have some time up your sleeve when visiting New York City - combine it with a visit to the Tuthilltown Distillery about 30 mins away - very interesting tour with lovely samples of Hudson Valley whiskey, bourbon and vodka. If you live in the area, or want to spoil a cadet at West Point (USMA) for a special birthday, graduation celebration or wedding reception, you can't go wrong bringing them here (the restaurant is directly across the river from West Point).

2  Thank disabled_jetsetter
Reviewed 29 December 2014

Came here for a wedding reception. I wanted to give it 4 stars, because the staff was on cue when it came to clearing dishes, and adjusting your seating area, but overall it took a while between the starter and entrees to get our food, and then took a long time for cake and coffee.

There weren't THAT many guests at this wedding... perhaps 150? It was a decent size wedding but this place seemed to have plenty of staff to make it work. Even if the food was "made to order" (we had a selection of salmon or braised beef) it shouldn't take that long to feed us after the starter.

The reception started at 3:00, but we arrived at 2:45 and the restaurant made us wait in the tiny reception area because they weren't ready for us. Around 3, we had appetizers of cheese and a medley of hot food while the bride and groom were busy with pictures.

We didn't adjourn to the dining room until maybe 4:30, and the starter came within 20 minutes. Dinner wasn't served for over an hour and there was such a gap in time that the band had people dancing BEFORE dinner to kill time.

It could be a 4 star, but this review is 3 stars for the slowness of the kitchen, and the long gap between the starter/ entree, and cake cutting/ cake and coffee served.