“Salted Pork & Veg rice - Yum!”

A Taste of Shanghai Restaurant
Ranked #342 of 693 Restaurants in Flushing
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Taiwanese
Reviewed 13 December 2016

We went there twice in two days. 2nd time's a charm. When we were there, we ordered salted pork & veg rice, green pepper, water bamboo & shredded pork and sautéed shanghai baby green. They are good. The rice reminds me my grand mom's cooking. The right amount of moisture and oil in rices together with salted pork and veg are simple delicious. Strongly recommended. By the way, I also like their sweet and salted soy drink. Yum!

Reviewed 1 September 2015 via mobile

Stopped here on the weekend and thought the food and service was quite good. There are plenty of good asain restaurants to choose from here in downtown Flushing but you will not be disappointed here. Enjoy.

Reviewed 10 August 2015

A taste of Shanghai Restaurant is what there name is... a taste. If you want to really eat Shanghai food- go to Joe Shanghai a few blocks away. Their soup dumplings aka Xia Long Bao's are not even as good as Joe's. I really wished that there's were good but sorry...Joe's better. The service here is very lacking and on top of that they add the gratuities directly onto your bill. To be fair Joe Shanghai does that too but at least their service is on par. Guess the servers know they have tip coming so they really don't care about service. To get a little extra service you would have to grab someone to your table just to get extra napkins or even a refill to your teapot needs a bit of effort. Why we go out to eat? Yummy great food, service and overall value is what us foodies look for. Nothing here sorry but the tables upstairs are kindof nice when you want some privacy for your larger parties of 6 or more. Note to chef: Your jellyfish app for $8.95 is way too hard, not even edible. It's suppose to be a delish delicacy not a dish that no one can devour...please work on your technique and get it right, ok? Yes this place has alot of varities that Joe Shanghai does not have but please streamline your menu so you can serve only the dishes that are worth serving...not a huge menu of overly salted food that's not worth paying for. Sorry I wish I could've given it a more favorable review but I just have to be honest. We had dinner for 6 people, nothing fancy and the bill came out to $150 with the tip already calculated in. Do you think that was worth it? Go and check out the place. But if you are looking for Shanghai food and get a taste of it...go elsewhere:(

Reviewed 30 December 2014

Not only does the A rating in cleanliness/sanitation attract people but the food is really great also. Prices are a little higher than other restaurants but worth it.

Reviewed 17 December 2014

I ended up at A Taste of Shanghai when another local dumpling house had people lined up outside. I was told these Xiao Long Bao were as good as Joe's and Nanjiang.

I beg to differ.

First, the place was very dirty from floor to ceiling. I'm not one for poorly maintained hanging plants overhead dropping spores and mites on my head and food.

Service was passably surly. The dumplings bore little resemblance to the superior offerings of the well know XLB houses. Thick skins. Gritty ground pork innards. Watery broth with little flavor.

Hey. To each his/her own, but this Taste is not to mine.