“Smell of Chlorine hits you upon entering the lobby”

Holiday Inn Express
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Fishkill
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Overall, the hotel is very nice, clean and well appointed. However, the indoor pool is located next to the lobby, to the right. As soon as the entry doors open to the lobby, you are overwhelmed with the smell of chlorine, humidity and the mustiness of a damp atmosphere. I wonder if it is even healthy for the front desk staff...yes, the smell is that strong. The room was clean, well decorated and overall comfortable, but the pillows were terrible. Ones marked "Firm" and "Soft" were identical. Noise was a HUGE issue. People came into their room next door at 2 am and were talking. It woke me up and I could hear them loud & clear. It was very irritating. The breakfast was typical to a Holiday Inn Express, but overall, NOT great and many things were empty or not refilled. No signature cinnamon buns, scrambled eggs were like tiny pellets/hard to pick up with a fork. No bagels (ran out?). Overall, disappointing meal. Room rate was average. Asked for extra pillows with reservation. did not get them. Would rather stay at a Hampton Inn next time.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank NyTravelinMan14

Reviewed 29 December 2011

This is a newer hotel but lots of problems! The place is clean and well kept, good staff. I stay in a lot of HIE's this one has the thinnest walls of all. 4 AM and I can hear every word of the phone conversation in the next room. It was raining hard and the rug in front of the AC unit was soaked. Looks like a six year old attached the soap dish to the shower enclosure. Sloppy workmanship, a good reason not to go with the low bidder, nice hotel but poorly built.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jmedster
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Had good experience with this hotel. Check in staff was very nice and got me to my room quickly. The room was very clean. I travel for work and next time I am in the area I will stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank dmaine93
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Let me start by saying I totally LOVE Holiday Inn Express locations. This is the first and only bad experience I have ever had with them. Traveling on a long distance trip with my Mom, we called ahead and booked 2 double beds. When arrived they gave us one King. Went downstairs to change it, she did. Gave us DREADED room 112. Hotel staff know this is a "last resort room". It is 30 feet from the lobby (loud) 20 feet from the "board room" (where people were getting drunk all night long loud even after we were told they would be gone by 11PM), and right across from the pool. Worst off we get into the room, there was no towel racks (broken off), no hangers, and no blankets. Then this is the worst part: The headboards of the beds are 1 foot away from the elevator mechanical room. I got about 1.5 hours sleep that night, my Mom got none. It was insane, every ten seconds the thing is buzzing, clanking, SO loud. I can't believe they built a room next to the elevator like this with no sound dampening. It was HORRIBLE. This room should be converted into a storage room or something for housekeeping, NOT A GUEST ROOM. I don't know for sure but my guess is that rooms 212, 312 and 412 would be the same but maybe 112 is the worst because the mechanical room is on the 1st floor.

Only redeeming factor is that when we told them we aren't paying more than half off for the bill they said sure no problem right away and adjusted the bill. Everything else about the hotel is great, just as all HIExpreses are. Clean, modern, and the breakfast is great.

We just don't like how the front desk girl (Shauna) didn't warn us about the room. We would have gone to another hotel. She put making the sale in front of our needs, which was a quiet comfortable room.

Room Tip: DO NOT GET ROOM 112!!!! See my review for reasons.