“A Beautiful Way To Spend An Afternoon”

Green Lakes State Park
Reviewed 2 October 2017

We were in Syracuse to celebrate my father in law's 90th birthday and thought of Green Lakes as a nice place for a picnic lunch. Even though it was "off-season", the park is still open for day activities but without swimming.
We arrived shortly after noon and were pleased with the abundance of picnic tables, both in the shade and out in the open. We enjoyed our lunch and chatted for a couple of hours before taking a walk along the paved perimeter of the swimming area's beach.
While we didn't need them, there are raised BBQ grilles available for use around the picnic area, a real boon for anyone (or a group) wanting at traditional grilling experience. (You bring the charcoal, etc.)
There is also an amazing playground area adjacent to the picnic area, complete with a large array of slides, swings and climbing features. (Made me wish I was a kid again!)
I rated this a "4" only because parking was a big problem the day we were there. One whole parking lot is currently closed for construction, we got the one and only spot in the open lot after a couple trips around - just as someone else was leaving. I trust that the project will be complete by next season. Parking was free since it was off-season, I believe that there is a nominal parking day pass fee required during the summer.
Our parking issues aside, we look forward to visiting Green Lakes again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone interested in a beautiful park with something for most everyone.

All reviews
"in season"
"green color"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 1 October 2017

This park is just a magical place. We used to live in Syracuse and this was a park we visited often for running. On a recent visit, we of course returned to take in the beauty and peace of the green lakes. Stepping under the canopy of trees, you will swear you'd been transported to a mystical place far away from NY state. The lakes themselves are glittering gems and the soft padding of pine needles and leaves on the trails makes for an easy 2 or 3 mile walk.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Our tax dollars at work, without any over sight. Twice in 4 weeks I stayed in the newer camping section at green lakes state park. It's really nice. New is nice. But it won't look or feel new long. I'm not sure when this was completed, but the lack of quality workmanship is evident as the bath houses are starting to decay. Poorly installed plumbing and fixtures falling apart, maintenance half hearted in progress. The part that really frosts me is just like fair haven, one walks into the bath houses just after the "cleaning crew" leaves and you are not met with "clean"
My included picture is of the drain just adjacent to the shower that still has the same dirt around it as it did a few weeks before. The only floor drain that was clean was the one under the shower head.
It's sad that the bath house that probably costs $350,000 or more that the private sector could build for under $40,000 is not only over priced but poorly kept

1  Thank funithesun
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

Walked around the lake which is partially shaded. Very clean bathrooms and well maintained. Easy walk around the lake.

Lake is green and clean. Nice small beach that had lifeguard in season. Great place to take kids.

1  Thank Norjeff2